Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 19 2008, 06:27 PM   #31
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Supernatural 4x1 "Lazarus Rising" SPOILERS after ep discussion

If the inflated numbers for the Chicago preemption hold true to the other times it's been preempted in Chicago, it should lose between 250,000 and 300,000 viewers. That puts the actual ratings--at worst--at 3.66 million, which would have been a season high last season. That with NO advertising by CW. Literally none. That's higher than 90210's final ratings this week. That's a good sign.

I liked Katie Cassidy better, too, but with the budget cuts they couldn't afford to keep her on contract, not with Misha Collins on board. They had to hire a miss temporary, unknown actress to give Ruby a new meatsuit. Blame the CW for that one. Gossip Girl was the only show to get an increased budget. Supernatural's budget was cut by about a quarter.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 08:16 PM   #32
cylkoth
Commodore

mswood wrote: View Post
Overnights are out Smallville got a 2.9 (a terrible performance by Smallville) and Supernatural got a 2.7 (which is higher then any numbers I have from last year) though both of these should be inflated (which really sucks for Smallville) due to Chicago.
Here are the latest figures..
The lack of Thursday night competition, and perhaps the network’s increasing fortunes earlier in the week, helped “Supernatural” to its best-ever numbers on the CW last night.
The show’s fourth-season premiere averaged 4 million total viewers, according to Nielsen overnights, up 33 percent over last year’s premiere and 1.3 million better than the show’s season-long average.
Among the network’s target 18-34s, the show averaged a 1.5, 25 percent better than last year’s premiere and 36 percent better than the show’s season-long 1.1 average. That's still a fairly small number, but "Supernatural" skews older than most of the CW's shows.
The show, which aired its first season on the WB, may have been buoyed by the light competition. Last year “Supernatural” premiered in early October, after the official season had begun and the other networks had their new Thursday night schedules in place.
Last night “Supernatural’s” toughest competition at 9 p.m. was Fox’s “Kitchen Nightmares,” which drew a solid but unspectacular 2.8 among 18-49s to win the hour. Last year during "Supernatural's" premiere, there were shows in the hour averaging more than double that.
“Supernatural” may have gotten a boost from audiences that have been sampling the CW, with “Gossip Girl” hitting a series high earlier in the week and “90210” debuting to record numbers two weeks before.
CW’s nightly leadoff, “Smallville,” performed decently but likely wasn’t responsible for “Supernatural’s” jump. “Smallville” equaled last season’s premiere with a 1.8 among 18-49s.
Fox led the night among 18-49s with a 2.4 average overnight rating and a 7 share. CBS was second at 2.3/7, Univision third at 1.9/6 and ABC, NBC and CW all tied for fourth at 1.8/5.
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ural_debut.asp
Old September 19 2008, 08:47 PM   #33
Skywalker
Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I have to wonder if Castiel is playing Dean though. Lightning, dark shadows, burning the eyes out of people who are possessed rather than banishing the demons etc. seem pretty dark for an angel.
Angels weren't always depicted as the bright-and-fluffy peaceniks they're typically imagined as these days. Everything about Castiel so far seems like some real Old Testament stuff, which is awesome. It's a shame we'll probably never see Pam again (pun intended), she was cool.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 08:48 PM   #34
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'll be interested to see the final numbers with Chicago sifted out. Yeah, premiering Supernatural in October last season, after the fall competition on the other networks started (and a week after Smallville to boot) was about the dumbest thing the network could have done, but it was atwitter over its Gossip Girl premiere. Supernatural did play late last night in Chicago, and those numbers do count in Nielsens when aired the same day before 3 a.m of the following morning. The question is....how many in Chicago actually stayed up to watch? My prediction is between 3.65 and 3.70 million, which is still shockingly good for this network. Gossip Girl's final was only 3.73 million. If Supernatural got above that, that would be sweet. Gossip Girl hasn't had to contend with Heroes yet. That'll suck away those youth demos.

Everything about Castiel so far seems like some real Old Testament stuff, which is awesome
Indeed. My thoughts exactly. My mother is Catholic; she called me to discuss the episode and said she thought it was a fairly accurate old testament depiction of angels.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old September 20 2008, 03:11 AM   #35
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Well, we got the final numbers. As it turns out, losing Chicago cost Supernatural.....nothing. Sueprnatural aired late that night (which counts if its watched before 3 a.m.) and every single Nielseon viewer in Chicago must have watched.

Final ratings--Supernatural, 3.96 million viewers. 1.7/5 in the demo. That is better than the final rating for Gossip Girl this week, kids, with a very comparable demo. It bettered last season's finale by almost a million viewers. Warner Brothers sent out press packets on its own and boy did they work. 3.96 million. Hallelujah!!! Premiering early sure works better than premiering a week after Smallville and after all the other Thursday competition premieres, like they did last year.

Old September 20 2008, 03:18 AM   #36
witchie
Commodore

That's great news!

What arm was the hand print on? I thought it was the right side, but the psychic was on Dean's left. Does he have hand prints on both shoulders from Castiel pulling him out of hell?
witchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 03:25 AM   #37
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

You know, I don't remember which one it was, witchie. Maybe both arms had the mark?

Old September 20 2008, 03:30 AM   #38
Auralis
Captain

Left side. The right side is viewed in the mirror when he pulls up the sleeve for the first time to see whats on his arm.
Auralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 05:54 AM   #39
ncc71877
Fleet Captain

I loved this episode. I missed most of last season, though I did see the finale last week need to pick the DVDs, so I knew that Dean had died. My concern was that Dean would come back some way and not be Dean. Like with what happen on Buffy in season six. But, from the gas station on he was still Dean. We'll see if that continues as he starts to remember things from Hell, but he was still Dean.

I have to say that I am excited the other side has finally made an appearance. And Dean's relutance to beleive that Castiel was really an 'Angel of the Lord,' hes fought demons and been to Hell itself and has no faith in a 'good side' of life, was right on character for him. This season will hopefully be the best one yet.

Best line from 4X01: "You are not invited!"

ncc71877
ncc71877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 08:03 AM   #40
FreezeC77
Commodore

One of my favorite mangas is Angel Sanctuary which deals with the battle between Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons and sometimes the Angels are worse then the Demons. So I definitely love this twist in the Supernatural mythos.

I don't really see how Dean was shocked at Angels being real. They've been fighting Demons and using religious artifacts (holy water) to fight them. Why wouldn't Angels be real?
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 08:10 AM   #41
Skywalker
Admiral

^ Dean's lack of faith in the divine half of the supernatural has been sort of a running theme throughout the show. The most glaring example I can recall is the second season episode "Houses of the Holy," where people claim that an angel has been telling them to murder sinners. Sam was willing to believe, but Dean was skeptical that it actually was an angel.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 08:38 AM   #42
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Dean's bitter because of everything he's lost in life, starting with his mother. There's a bit of Job's story to Dean. It's easy to have faith when your life is easy. When your life is shit, that's when it gets tough (which is probably why he's this angel's chosen extension). Dean's still at his best when things are the worst. That's the sign of a truly good person.

Old September 20 2008, 01:27 PM   #43
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Damn good episode.

Don't know what to make of Castiel though.

The thing is, if he's genuinely a good guy, the bad guys need to step up. Seriously, this dude is so powerful there'd be no drama if he gets to mix it up, unless a demon or god on the bad side of things comes out of the woodwork that is equally powerful.

The damn thing is, though, I can't see angels as good, not one bit, that's because I can't see god as good either. A bastard that hardens the heart of a pharao, even though he's already succeeded at what he wants, just so he can slaughter some more people, including innocent babies and children, is in my book the worst kind of evil. And the ones that revolted against it, the good guys.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 04:14 PM   #44
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Nice episode, such a great show, really wish more people watched it.

Kind of missed "Carry on Wayward son" tho!
Old September 20 2008, 09:48 PM   #45
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I imagine we'll hear it again around season's end. It does seem to be the unofficial theme song.