RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,115
Posts: 5,400,696
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 416
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 18 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Crewman47
Commodore
 
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Date system?

Sorry if it's been asked or discussed but what dating system do you think they'll be using in the movie? If they use Stardates would you expect them to be numerically less than the lowest SD mentioned on TOS or could an older type system be used like what went from TOS system to the TNG system?

Any thoughts.
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain
 
Eric Cheung's Avatar
 
Re: Date system?

Well, since there was no stardate for "The Cage" and the stardates for the early episodes started with a 1 and progressed in a way that seemed to suggest roughly a thousand units a year (like the TNG system would later use), I would think either a precursor to the stardate system would be in place for the parts before the five-year mission or they'd use the Gregorian calender as in ENT.

Last edited by Eric Cheung; September 18 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Tyberius
Commander
 
Tyberius's Avatar
 
Location: Twenty million die by fire if I am weak.
Re: Date system?

Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
Well, since there was no stardate for "The Cage" and the stardates for the early episodes started with a 1 and progressed in a way that seemed to suggest roughly a thousand units a year (like the TNG system would later use), I would think either a precursor to the stardate system would be in place for the parts before the five-year mission or they'd use the Gregorian calender as in ENT.
Hopefully not the Mayan calendar
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 12:14 AM   #4
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral
 
darkshadow0001's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: Date system?

I would think they would roughly do it like Eneterprise did, don't you think?
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 02:03 AM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Date system?

Tyberius wrote: View Post
Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
Well, since there was no stardate for "The Cage" and the stardates for the early episodes started with a 1 and progressed in a way that seemed to suggest roughly a thousand units a year (like the TNG system would later use), I would think either a precursor to the stardate system would be in place for the parts before the five-year mission or they'd use the Gregorian calender as in ENT.
Hopefully not the Mayan calendar
If they do use the Mayan calendar, is everything after 21 December 2012 a reboot?
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Tyberius
Commander
 
Tyberius's Avatar
 
Location: Twenty million die by fire if I am weak.
Re: Date system?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Tyberius wrote: View Post
Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
Well, since there was no stardate for "The Cage" and the stardates for the early episodes started with a 1 and progressed in a way that seemed to suggest roughly a thousand units a year (like the TNG system would later use), I would think either a precursor to the stardate system would be in place for the parts before the five-year mission or they'd use the Gregorian calender as in ENT.
Hopefully not the Mayan calendar
If they do use the Mayan calendar, is everything after 21 December 2012 a reboot?
End of the world, as far as I know, so probably a hard boot.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Date system?

Crewman47 wrote: View Post
Sorry if it's been asked or discussed but what dating system do you think they'll be using in the movie? If they use Stardates would you expect them to be numerically less than the lowest SD mentioned on TOS or could an older type system be used like what went from TOS system to the TNG system?

Any thoughts.
Dammit, we don't want sensible questions.

Interesting point. I suppose if we are pleasing the canon fetishists, anything before 1312.4 (Where no man has gone before) would work ok. The Cage didn't have a stardate so we don't have to worry there.

Probably something in the four digit range. In fact in Kirk's log entry at the end (cleary that's how the movie is going to close) I'd like to hear 1312.3 or something close
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Rivas_Jakarta
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Date system?

WHO GIVES A SHIT...
Rivas_Jakarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 09:21 PM   #9
USS Excelsior
Commodore
 
USS Excelsior's Avatar
 
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Re: Date system?

They can start from Stardate 0, and even include dialogue as to how they started using that system in the first place.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Location: Hold still, Jim.
Re: Date system?

Just spew some random numbers with confidence, like Kirk did in the good ol' days. We'll eat it up.
__________________
"If I didn't keep getting distracted by an avatar showing a sombrero'd dog getting his engineering hull penis substitute cut off I'd probably say that the above post was a point well made." - ITL
Samuel T. Cogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 11:17 PM   #11
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander
 
GilmourD's Avatar
 
Re: Date system?

Rivas_Jakarta wrote: View Post
WHO GIVES A SHIT...
Uh, the people who hope that this movie is made with any respect to the material it's based on.

I wonder if there's trolls when they start using stardates.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 12:28 AM   #12
Rivas_Jakarta
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Date system?

They same people who are 47, still living at home, and never kissed anbody of either sex, let alone been romantic.
Rivas_Jakarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:34 AM   #13
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Date system?

Rivas_Jakarta wrote: View Post
They same people who are 47, still living at home, and never kissed anbody of either sex, let alone been romantic.
And that will be enough of that, thank you.
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 01:48 PM   #14
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander
 
GilmourD's Avatar
 
Re: Date system?

Rivas_Jakarta wrote: View Post
They same people who are 47, still living at home, and never kissed anbody of either sex, let alone been romantic.
29, living with my fiancee, and getting married in November, thank you.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 03:54 PM   #15
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Date system?

Rivas_Jakarta wrote: View Post
They same people who are 47, still living at home, and never kissed anbody of either sex, let alone been romantic.
I'm 42, live "at home" (although it's my home -- one I had built for me) with my wife and daughter.

Anyway, back on topic (I've spent too much energy on you anyway)...

Since Roddenberry himself never gave a shit about the method for computing stardates (the progression of Stardates varied from episode to episode), I think Abrams is free to use any method of stardates that he wants -- but I think he should definitely use stardates, since they are very "Star Trek".

I know that Enterprise used the Gregorian Calendar, but then again that's taking place 100 years prior to TOS. I'm speculating that the bulk of action in this film will take place in the months prior to Kirk taking command of the Enterprise (lets say 2 to 2 1/2 years prior to TOS), so I think they could use stardates, although it will be impossible to be consistent with TOS, since TOS was never consistent with itself.

Than again, do they even need to use dates at all? Except for the Captain's log, how often did they use dates in TOS? Not using dates of any sort will definitely avoid the inevitable inconsistencies with TOS that are surely to arise.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
stardate

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.