Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 16 2008, 02:09 AM   #1
davidant32
Commodore

Keep Trek off TV

If the new movie is half as good as the official trailer, Trek must stay off tv. Keeping Trek on the big screen for the time being will keep up the anticipation between movies, and improve the overall Trek image. A tv series will cause overexposure and take away the magic that the new movie will bring.
Old November 16 2008, 03:33 AM   #2
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: Keep Trek off TV

davidant32 wrote: View Post
If the new movie is half as good as the official trailer, Trek must stay off tv. Keeping Trek on the big screen for the time being will keep up the anticipation between movies, and improve the overall Trek image. A tv series will cause overexposure and take away the magic that the new movie will bring.
I have started so many threads agreeing with this thread...So, welcome to the herd. But, wait and see, there will be a whole throng of those who think they should do a new series, just use the sets the movie made, and then, just like the movies, cheapen the value of the movies by so obviously using redress sets..ect..which will signal the 'non fans' not to venture to the movies because all they will be is two hour episodes, released as movies..and in TNG's case, not even as good as a typical episode...

I agree with the OP...DO NOT make another series AT ALL until this movie series is done..if you can't appreciate 500+ hours of TV already made, then you have serious issues..

Rob
scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 05:03 AM   #3
USS Phantom
Ensign

How about an animated series instead?
USS Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
davidant32
Commodore

cuz the animated Star Wars on CN is doing so well with the general public/fans of the original....

Star Trek of years past was a television franchise that capped their respective series on the big screen. This new generation of Trek seems more like a movie franchise that mustn't be cheapened by a television series.

Television --> Movie... good
Movie --> Television... bad

seems to be the general trend
Old November 17 2008, 04:20 PM   #5
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Television --> Movie... good
Movie --> Television... bad
Judging by the apparent successes of Stargate SG-1 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'm not sure that's strictly true. But the two series I mentioned could be the exceptions to the rule (I can think of just as many movie-turned-TV series that were pretty awful - Total Recall and Police Academy jump instantly to mind).

Maybe a film franchise could raise the bar and give a future TV franchise a much needed shot in the arm... I'm still of the opinion that Trek functions better as a TV show and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. I feel TV provides the better medium for longer, more fleshed out stories and better character development.

Then again, my opinion on all this could change in May
Old November 18 2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

I dunno. It really depends -- personally, I'd wait, but if the TV show was going to be a really really good concept, than I could see it working. There are some things that work really well on TV that you can't do in a movie -- a long story arc, more character background, endings that kill of a major character and the rest dealing with the impact.

A movie is pretty much stuck at a 2 hour one-off kind of story. You can't necessariliy assume that the people who saw the first movie are going to turn up for the next one, nor that viewers of the second movie have seen the first, so you can't spread out your story over 6 movies and not have anything resolved before the 6th movie. It wouldn't work.

I'd like to see a Trek RPG something like Final Fantasy, but I don't think anyone else wants that.
Old November 18 2008, 12:52 AM   #7
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile

I'm fine with it being a film-only thing for a while -- the early '80s were where Star Trek was revitalized (thanks, Harve), only to be ruined by the writer's strike, then Roddenberry/Berman/Braga.

However, I would love to see Bryan Fuller take a crack at a spinoff series that ran in parallel to the movie series. If it's set during this new TOS era, why not a show about, say, Matt Decker and the Constellation?
tranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 05:18 AM   #8
davidant32
Commodore

Balthier the Great wrote: View Post
endings that kill of a major character and the rest dealing with the impact.
Nobody in Trek ever dies. if they do, there's an uproar, even by the actor himself!

so you can't spread out your story over 6 movies and not have anything resolved before the 6th movie. It wouldn't work.
Star Wars?
Old November 18 2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Mirror_Barclay
Lieutenant Commander

The movies are fun, but they're no substitute for a Trek series, and all the possibilities for exploring a new cast that this provides.

I'm not eager for TOS 2, though - that would just be a retread. Unless they dared to do something different, in which case people would scream. Can't win.
Mirror_Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

endings that kill of a major character and the rest dealing with the impact.
Nobody in Trek ever dies. if they do, there's an uproar, even by the actor himself!

so you can't spread out your story over 6 movies and not have anything resolved before the 6th movie. It wouldn't work.
Star Wars?
Well, each episode of Star Wars had it's own beginning, middle, and ending, plus a giant crawl at the beginning to catch up the audience to what had happened before. As I said -- having nothing resolved. If ANH had ended with Luke and Han and Leia in the garbage compactor, I don't think that would work nearly as well as having the Death Star blown up.
Old November 18 2008, 09:53 PM   #11
starburst
Fleet Captain

jongredic wrote: View Post
Judging by the apparent successes of Stargate SG-1 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'm not sure that's strictly true.
Where that is true both of those are very different from the original movie(s) even though they have some of the same characters.

In some ways both of these were rebooted, especially Terminator which completly ignors the events of T3 and T4.

Maybe a film franchise could raise the bar and give a future TV franchise a much needed shot in the arm... I'm still of the opinion that Trek functions better as a TV show and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. I feel TV provides the better medium for longer, more fleshed out stories and better character development.
If the movie is a hit there is potential for a series, but I agree that the best bet would be to hope for a couple of decent films over the next few years before a TV show based on the latest take on the universe...we will have to wait out the next 6/7 months to find out.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 10:15 PM   #12
agordy85
Ensign

In my opinion, I've seen way too much hate for the past couple of series. I've been a huge fan of DS9, Voyager(not as much), and Enterprise(my fav. since TNG), and I've seen a huge rip in the fabric of fandom since the announcement of the cancellation of Enterprise. I've seen so many haters since then and, to my knowledge, I saw one of the biggest outcries when the show was being cancelled that it's hard to believe. It reminds me of when SW: The Phantom Menace came to theaters, everyone went to see the movie 6 or 20 times...but a few years afterward you heard nothing but "Oh God, that was the most aweful movie I've ever seen." Well, you sure did pump a lot of money into seeing that so-called God aweful movie. I seriously think it's becoming a fad.I enjoyed Phantom Menace, I've enjoyed Enterprise. I honestly think it brought the spirit of Star Trek back, that feeling of adventure, visiting strange new (and sometimes familiar) worlds and applying a humanistic touch to what we don't know, ignoring the outcome.
agordy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 10:18 PM   #13
agordy85
Ensign

In short, I believe that bringing in a new show will not hurt the franchise at all, as long as it has a producer who will show a love for Star Trek that we all have, and bring in great writers like the legendary D.C. and the Reeves-Stevens power force, and don't forget, the show will also need or support, and I can see Star Trek make a full comeback. The new movie, which looks amazing by the way, looks like it will be a big treat for us fans and newcomers, which in turn will create the fanbase needed for a new show.
agordy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 02:18 AM   #14
Prime Mover
Fleet Captain

agordy85 wrote: View Post
In short, I believe that bringing in a new show will not hurt the franchise at all, as long as it has a producer who will show a love for Star Trek that we all have, and bring in great writers like the legendary D.C. and the Reeves-Stevens power force, and don't forget, the show will also need or support, and I can see Star Trek make a full comeback. The new movie, which looks amazing by the way, looks like it will be a big treat for us fans and newcomers, which in turn will create the fanbase needed for a new show.
I absolutely agree. This movie seems to be tailor-made to be the jump-point for a tv series. Especially seeing how it involves a time-travel plot that would be a legitimate reboot for the entire franchise.
Old November 21 2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Darren2001
Captain

I wouldn't expect to see Trek back on TV until the new movie franchise runs it's course and I totally agree with this.

Back in time : Enterprise http://bitent.cjb.net

Darren2001 is offline   Reply With Quote