Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 17 2008, 10:10 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Fuller: Bring 'Star Trek' Back To Television

Bryan Fuller is ready to work on another Star Trek series and would like to see the franchise back on television.

As reported by MTV, Fuller, who wrote for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, feels that the time is right for the return of a Star Trek series to television. "I would love to do another 'Star Trek' series," said Fuller. "One where you could go back to the spirit and color of the original 'Star Trek,' because somehow, it got cold over the years. I love 'Next Generation,' but it's a little cooler and calmer than the ones from the '60s, which were so dynamic and passionate."

Currently working on Pushing Daisies, Fuller is impressed with J.J. Abram's version of Star Trek, especially the costumes. But he feels that Kirk, Spock and McCoy should remain in the movies. "You wouldn't have to be on the same ship or have the same characters as the original 'Star Trek,'" explained Fuller, "but you could be in the same timeline and universe. 'Star Trek' has to recreate itself. Otherwise, all the characters start to feel the same. You always have a captain, a doctor, a security officer, and you have the same arguments based on those perspectives. It starts to feel too familiar. So all those paradigms where it takes place on a starship have to be shaken up."

Fuller, a Star Trek fan himself, prefers Deep Space Nine of all the Star Trek incarnations. "'Deep Space Nine' was the best of the modern ones," he said, "because it was so emotionally complicated." Fuller was disappointed with Star Trek: Enterprise, saying, "'Enterprise' was the most sterile of all of them, when it should have been the most fun."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old September 17 2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Brian
Vice Admiral

Re: Fuller: Bring 'Star Trek' Back To Television

Amen.

To everything he said.
Old September 17 2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I want him to acknowledge that Friendship One sucked, and then I'll listen.
Old September 17 2008, 10:53 PM   #4
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Yeah I agree with most of the points though I think enterprise was on track to be better than voyager at the end.

still I doubt the old writing team would be involved in any tv show and that is a good thing.
Old September 17 2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Star Trek could certainly do worse than to get Brian Fuller back.
Old September 17 2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Give Pushing Daisies four seasons or so - I love it, but it doesn't have a premise that can go on forever - and I agree.
Old September 18 2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Enterprise's mission of going back to basics was exactly what the franchise needed - but they screwed it up. So, we get Star Trek - going back to basics, again.

Provided the first one delivers financially and quality-wise, I say give the Abrams series a solid run - two or three movies at least - before going back to TV. By then, I think something radically different will be needed - perhaps a show set on a Klingon or other alien vessel, Starfleet Academy, A West Wing-style UFP show...

But let the new movies kick into gear before throwing a dozen cooks around the pot. It's not as though we don't have plenty of material to re-watch until then...
Old September 18 2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Tulin
Vice Admiral

NO - it's still to early. The bad taste left in everybody's mouth from ENT is still there. I'd say wait until AT LEAST JJ's second ST film and then start looking at ideas. That would be getting onto about eight years since the last copy of a copy of a copy was cancelled and the public may actually be longing for some more.

They have to divorce it from the previous shows in some way - whether it be in a different time period, time line or alternate reality. Just as the movie series is rebooting, so should the tv universe.
Old September 18 2008, 07:15 AM   #9
MattJC
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=Tulin;2082885] The bad taste left in everybody's mouth from ENT is still there. [QUOTE]

Not everybody.
Enterprise didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited by MattJC; September 18 2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old September 18 2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Give Pushing Daisies four seasons or so - I love it, but it doesn't have a premise that can go on forever - and I agree.
Color me dense, but I was never even aware that Fuller was involved with Trek. Pushing Daisies has been great, so why couldn't he save Voyager?
Old September 18 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Pioneer
Captain

The Next Generation was my favorite series but I must say that the stories and characters in Deep Space Nine were fuller and richer.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old September 18 2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Admiral Bear
Captain

See what the Abrams movie does first in terms of box office before even contemplating a new TV series, and then when you've contemplated it, wait another 5 years, and then another 5 years.

I just don't think there's any public appetite for new TV Trek outside a few thousand hard core geeks. As was said above, it's not as if there isn't a huge back catalogue of quality Star Trek for people to watch.
Old September 18 2008, 08:15 PM   #13
T'Cal
Commodore

brian wrote: View Post
Amen.

To everything he said.
Ditto!

Pioneer wrote: View Post
The Next Generation was my favorite series but I must say that the stories and characters in Deep Space Nine were fuller and richer.
Ditto again! The thing about DS9 that impressed me was that each main character had interesting relationships not only with the other main characters, but that they also had ones with so many semi-regulars. The Dominion War arc was well handled, too.
Old September 18 2008, 09:05 PM   #14
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

MattJC wrote: View Post
Enterprise didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.
If symptoms persist, consult a doctor.
Old September 18 2008, 09:10 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
NO - it's still to early. The bad taste left in everybody's mouth from ENT is still there. I'd say wait until AT LEAST JJ's second ST film and then start looking at ideas. That would be getting onto about eight years since the last copy of a copy of a copy was cancelled and the public may actually be longing for some more.

They have to divorce it from the previous shows in some way - whether it be in a different time period, time line or alternate reality. Just as the movie series is rebooting, so should the tv universe.
ENT is effectively forgotten by the general public now - to the extent it ever entered public consciousness, which wasn't much. They can do a new TV series at any time without any serious baggage. For the vast majority of people, Star Trek doesn't mean much at all: Spock, Kirk, Enterprise. Other than that, it's a blank slate.