Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 17 2008, 06:58 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Orci: 'Star Trek XI' Almost Done

Star Trek XI Co-writer Roberto Orci announced that Star Trek XI is close to being completed and that it should appeal to all fans, old and new.

As reported by Sci Fi Wire, Orci injected a bit of humor with his announcement. "[We're] so close to being done, and we've almost...finished the bomb shelter where we're going to hide the movie," he said.

Star Trek XI is meant to appeal to both long-term fans and newcomers to the franchise. "Fans can expect to see that the people who made this movie knew their 'Star Trek'," said Orci, "and if they've been a fan of 'Star Trek,' they're going to see things that pay off for them in a way that will not pay off for a general audience."

Newcomers to Star Trek won't feel left out by the lack of knowledge of what went before according to Orci. "A general audience is going to see a totally different movie," said Orci. "A general audience is going to see a movie of how these historic characters met and how they all came together. If you're a fan, it's a re-introduction to 'Star Trek,' and if you're not, it's an introduction. And the idea of sort of doing two movies in one is tricky, because you don't want to somehow dilute it, but again, since this is not a story that's ever been covered in the Trek canon, in terms of the film or the series, it's an old and a new story."

To read the original article, head to the link located here.

Old September 17 2008, 07:58 PM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: Orci: 'Star Trek XI' Almost Done

How do you "re-introduce" a Star Trek fan to something he's already familiar with?

Last edited by MattJC; September 18 2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old September 17 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

MattJC wrote: View Post
How do you "re-introduce" a Star Trek fan to something they're already familiar with?
You're not going to see the film, so what do you care?
Old September 17 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I volunteer to hold onto the film until the summer!
Old September 17 2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I volunteer to hold onto the film until the summer!
But Dude, you'll have to live in a bomb shelter!

I'm looking forward to this movie and hope for the best. Especially since the Stargate "franchise" has been turned into a clusterfrack by its producers.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old September 18 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

How do you "re-introduce" a Star Trek fan to something they're already familiar with?
The same way all the TNG films re-introduced us to the characters with a needless, obligatory scene near the beginning reminding us that we like these people (Insurrection was the biggest offender in this category).
Old September 18 2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

How do you "re-introduce" a Star Trek fan to something he's already familiar with?
He means reintroduce it as something vital, something to look forward to and see as significant now and not just something from the past, or something about which many have lost enthusiasm in recent years.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Old September 18 2008, 07:17 AM   #8
MattJC
Fleet Captain

This isn't something I look forward to and I do not need these guys help to "re-introduce" me to Star Trek.
I liked TOS just fine the way it is.
The producers of TOS got it right the first time around.
Old September 18 2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Jax
Admiral

Yeh thats why it got cancelled after 3 and lets face it should of gone after 2. The underlying plot may of worked for TOS but am sorry majorty of the stories are total crap even for the 60's.
Old September 18 2008, 07:50 AM   #10
MattJC
Fleet Captain

In your opinion, maybe.
I liked it just fine.
Old September 18 2008, 05:46 PM   #11
T'Cal
Commodore

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Yeh thats why it got cancelled after 3 and lets face it should of gone after 2. The underlying plot may of worked for TOS but am sorry majorty of the stories are total crap even for the 60's.
Sad but true. I sometimes watch TOS for laughs. Like many here, I have them and the movies on DVD and they can be at times so campy and over acted that they are comical. I still like them and respect what they did and that they were the foundation for what came later. This article relates exactly what I hope they will be successful in doing with this film.

As Trek fans, we will likely see and hear a lot of little references that will enhance the movie greatly for us but only add to the overall ambience for the general movie goer. I.E.: if it makes sense in the story that we see at a Starfleet museum a display that includes a past starship, it hurts nothing that it is the NX-01. Joe Blow will see it as an "old" space ship while we'll see it as part of the "real" history of the future. Same thing with any references to the 24th century era shows when we see old Spock. I truly hope they pull off what Orci says here. If so, the future of Trek will be solid with more movies and possibly another series or two.