New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 28 2008, 09:20 AM   #31
WalkinMan
Commodore

Re: Takei And Altman Wed

TerriO wrote: View Post
I'm honored to say that I know both George and Brad. A more stable, loving couple for 20+ years I don't think I've ever met.

You should be lucky to have a relationship half as good as theirs.
Good to hear that, it's inspiring to hear of couples that endure in love and commitment. Congrats, and best wishes to them!
Old September 29 2008, 06:08 AM   #32
TheOS
Cadet

RandyS wrote: View Post
I'm not a gay-hater, but somehow, no matter what I say in support of it, these folks now percieve me as one.
Oh well.
And a lesson for us all:
"He that goeth to bedde wyth Dogges, aryseth with fleas." - J. Sanforde (1573)

Old September 29 2008, 06:07 PM   #33
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

TheLonelySquire wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

Prop 8.
Ryhmes with 'hate'.
I love how opposing views are labeled as "hate".
I just said it ryhmes.

You can decide for yourself whether the shoe fits.
Old September 29 2008, 06:40 PM   #34
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Ryhmes with 'hate'.
I just said it ryhmes.

You can decide for yourself whether the shoe fits.
Apparently it does.
Old September 30 2008, 07:29 AM   #35
TheOS
Cadet

WalkinMan wrote: View Post
Good to hear that, it's inspiring to hear of couples that endure in love and commitment.

Old September 30 2008, 02:30 PM   #36
Brian
Vice Admiral

And what does antibiotic-resistant Staph have do do with love and commitment?

I'll wager that George and Brad's 21-year commitment has kept them away from such buggers.

EDIT: I noticed you took the 'shocking' spoiler note about staph in the gay community out of post #35, TheOS. Change of heart?

Last edited by Brian; September 30 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old September 30 2008, 06:43 PM   #37
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

the Dagman wrote: View Post
I really see nothing wrong with two people doing something that makes them both happy as long as they are not killing, stealing from, or hurting another person by doing it. These two men getting married HURTS NO ONE...
And they can count on my vote to defeat Prop 8.
They can count on my vote in favor of Prop 8.

Maybe you're not looking ahead far enough. Consider the legal ramifications of same-sex marriage. It means that adoption will change. Heterosexual couples will no longer be favored (all other things being equal) over gay couples when it comes to adopting children. Do you think this is best for children?
Old September 30 2008, 06:53 PM   #38
Brian
Vice Admiral

I think children are lucky to find loving adoptive parents who want them. Period.
Old September 30 2008, 07:15 PM   #39
TerriO
Writer-type human

Prop 8.
Ryhmes with 'hate'.
Okay, let's throw out the word "hate" here. Let's go on a purely civil rights level. How is wanting to deny a particular sub-group basic civil rights considered a perfectly acceptable act? And yes, I do consider the right to marry a basic civil right. Limiting the civil rights of human beings is something that must never be approached lightly or with malice. For every pigeonhole you can find to limit someone else's civil rights, a pigeonhole can be found to limit your own, if someone wants to look hard enough.

And I'm not even remotely stepping on the whole "tolerance" issue here. Trying to encourage tolerance is such a Catch-22, because then you find yourself in a position of whether or not you tolerate intolerance. And if you don't tolerate intolerance, then you're called an intolerant hypocrite.

Screw that. Throw tolerance and intolerance out the door. How do we feel about people stepping on the civil rights of other human beings? Actions speak far louder than words. If a couple can have a stable, loving relationship for 20+ years, why does it matter what gender they are? They should get an award for being together that long, especially in the flavor-of-the-month Hollywood relationship environment. Seriously, how many Hollywood couples can you think of who've been together for over 20 years?

When KRAD and I hit the 20 year point, I hope we're half as happy as George and Brad.

Last edited by TerriO; September 30 2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 30 2008, 08:29 PM   #40
Steve Roby
Commodore

Remember, folks:

If you don't like gay marriage, don't have one.

It's that simple.

People eventually learned to shut the fuck up and mind their own business instead of trying to keep people from marrying people of the "wrong" ethnicity or religious belief or socioeconomic class. The anti-gay marriage crowd will also learn.
Old September 30 2008, 09:39 PM   #41
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

TerriO wrote: View Post

Ryhmes with 'hate'.
Okay, let's throw out the word "hate" here. Let's go on a purely civil rights level. How is wanting to deny a particular sub-group basic civil rights considered a perfectly acceptable act? And yes, I do consider the right to marry a basic civil right. Limiting the civil rights of human beings is something that must never be approached lightly or with malice. For every pigeonhole you can find to limit someone else's civil rights, a pigeonhole can be found to limit your own, if someone wants to look hard enough.

And I'm not even remotely stepping on the whole "tolerance" issue here. Trying to encourage tolerance is such a Catch-22, because then you find yourself in a position of whether or not you tolerate intolerance. And if you don't tolerate intolerance, then you're called an intolerant hypocrite.

Screw that. Throw tolerance and intolerance out the door. How do we feel about people stepping on the civil rights of other human beings? Actions speak far louder than words. If a couple can have a stable, loving relationship for 20+ years, why does it matter what gender they are? They should get an award for being together that long, especially in the flavor-of-the-month Hollywood relationship environment. Seriously, how many Hollywood couples can you think of who've been together for over 20 years?

When KRAD and I hit the 20 year point, I hope we're half as happy as George and Brad.
Well said!
Old September 30 2008, 10:19 PM   #42
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
I really see nothing wrong with two people doing something that makes them both happy as long as they are not killing, stealing from, or hurting another person by doing it. These two men getting married HURTS NO ONE...

Maybe you're not looking ahead far enough. Consider the legal ramifications of same-sex marriage. It means that adoption will change. Heterosexual couples will no longer be favored (all other things being equal) over gay couples when it comes to adopting children. Do you think this is best for children?
Do you have any proof that will happen? I don't see why gay couples would get preference.

Etsy shop
Old September 30 2008, 10:34 PM   #43
Brian
Vice Admiral

If it happens at all, some consider that preference.
Old October 1 2008, 12:18 AM   #44
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

I have had many clients who are children that have been physically abused, mentally abused, sexually abused, abandoned, damaged due to drug/alcohol use while in the womb, etc.

It is very difficult to determine the right way to raise a child.

The only wrong ways that I am really concerned about are those I listed above. "Parents being gay" doesn't even come close to being on that list. As it stands, there are plenty of straight parents who have contributed to the above.
Old October 1 2008, 12:19 AM   #45
the Dagman
Commodore

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post

Yes. Any child these days is very lucky to grow up in a home with two loving parents, no matter what their sex is or what they do behind closed doors. Keep government out of everyone's bedroom.