TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Will you buy the R2 season 4(.0) DVD box set?
Yes. 15 53.57%
No. 13 46.43%
Maybe. 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22 2008, 02:37 PM   #31
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Who's getting the R2 Season 4(.0) DVD set?

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Just read on Amazon that the second half of S4 will be marketed as S5 in R2, which is why it doesn't say Season 4 Part 1 on the packaging.
That's what I expected they'd do. I think this is a really bad move. All it's going to do is cause confusion and further reinforce the notion that it's a rip off.

It's too bad BSG is getting this kind of treatment. I certainly think it deserves better.

I mean, really, I'd have no problem with this had they simply decided early on that this would be two instead of one season. Season 1 only had 13 episodes so why not?
Old September 22 2008, 02:39 PM   #32
Hermiod
Admiral

^Sci-Fi are trying to spread out what little decent original programming they have left before Universal finally decide to pull the plug and turn them in to a general entertainment channel.
Old September 22 2008, 02:40 PM   #33
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

They should just call it season 5 and then everyone will be happy.
Old September 22 2008, 02:41 PM   #34
Hermiod
Admiral

^Until they decide to split it in half again.
Old September 23 2008, 04:12 AM   #35
Candlelight
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
Interesting. I'd never heard of that before. I'll also honestly admit that I've never noticed a difference.

I'm surprised though that the pitch would be higher. The PAL / NTSC thing (or 50 vs. 60 Hz) in video games always meant that PAL releases would run somewhat more slowly. Hence I would have expected it to lower rather than higher. But then I suppose it's a different issue.
American television shot on video, or these days shot on digital equipment for HDTV broadcast, is recorded at 24fps a format known as 24p (p is for Progressive as opposed to Interlaced).

For European standard definition broadcast, this has to be sped up to 25p.
Really? I thought everything was shot 720p60?

So it's shot at 23.98 then? On what format?
Old September 23 2008, 07:07 AM   #36
Hermiod
Admiral

Year of Hell wrote: View Post
Really? I thought everything was shot 720p60?

So it's shot at 23.98 then? On what format?
I'm not sure about every show but see what you can make out from this.

It looks to me like they shoot everything at 1080p24 which makes sense. This PAL/NTSC business should be an irrelevance now everything is shot for HD.

However, Sky One HD screw this up quite a bit. The versions of the episodes they show still go through a NTSC->PAL transfer and still get sped up. I guess this is because they want to downscale that feed for standard definition.

I imagine a Blu-Ray release would be fine, though. A Blu-Ray player will just output the 1080p24 video at whatever the user's TV will support.
Old September 23 2008, 09:24 AM   #37
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

I must be kind of deaf as I've never noticed this increase in pitch. Admittedly, I saw Season 2 by other means a long time before I rewatched it on my R2 DVDs, but I went straight into rewatching Season 3 by other means as soon as I'd run out of DVDs to watch and didn't notice a difference. I might have to test this some time.
Old October 4 2008, 09:45 AM   #38
John Clark
Commodore

It's just arrived from my pre-order and here's what you get. I've not played it yet though.

Disk 1
Razor - described as extended feature
Commentaries, deleted scenes and minisodes

Disk 2
He who believeth in me
Six of One
The Ties that bind
Escape velocity

Disk 3
The Road less travelled
Faith
Guess whats coming to dinner
Sine Qua Non

Disk 4
The Hub
Revelations
Bonus Features - Deleted Scenes, sneak peak of the final season.

There you go folks
Old October 4 2008, 11:46 AM   #39
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
Thanks for the rundown!

I checked at HMV yesterday, but they didn't have it yet (not that I was expecting they would since Monday is the release date). I wonder if some stores will have it at the weekend, though. Patience may be a virtue but....
Old October 4 2008, 04:59 PM   #40
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's not noticeable to the vast majority of watchers is what I mean. If you know about it, make a comparison between the two, and then obsess about it, it might become unwatchable, but not to most punters.
For most, sure, but then most don't download the US releases. Once you do notice it, though, you can't go back.
Agreed. Luckily I live in America so I usually am not subjected to horrid PAL video but it really is horrible. Everyones voices are higher and the worst one is Captain Picard on Star Trek TNG. He really does sound like a chimpmonk. I can't get into the story when the presentation is ruined like that.
Old October 5 2008, 08:45 PM   #41
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I think with this whole R1-R2 speed difference thing, is that some people notice it and some don't, maybe something to do with your ears or summat!
Anyway I've watched a lot of US TV over here in the UK, in America whenever I vacation there, on the internet, on videos, on my R2 dvds, and R1 dvds either I've imported or watched over there... And I for one have never noticed anything at all in regards to squeaky voices or the like.
So I gather its just something one can either pick up or one can't.

I suppose Razor is part of Season 4, but I already have the standalone Razor DVD. Seems a bit annoying to have to have it twice now. At least there are some extras though! Deleted scenes? Nice. I'd like to have a gander at the sneak peak too

Anyway I won't be buying this for a while yet, as I said up thread I still have all these eps on my Sky+ and just watched them again recently. And also there's some other stuff I'll be spending my money on when this comes out tomorrow (6 Oct) with The Simpsons Season 11 DVD and the new Oasis album
Old October 6 2008, 01:46 PM   #42
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Just got my set at Tesco's . I'm so looking forward to seeing these episodes again!
Old October 6 2008, 04:57 PM   #43
John Clark
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
Deleted scenes? Nice. I'd like to have a gander at the sneak peak too
Haven't looked at all the deleted scenes, but the sneak peak appears to be just a Sky One teaser ( call it 10 or so seconds)
Old October 6 2008, 05:33 PM   #44
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
I saw the teaser. It's very short and definitely something that was already on the web a while ago. It ends with Tigh saying: "You are the Fifth."
Old October 7 2008, 04:40 PM   #45
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Had a look at the set yesterday in my Morrisons. I was tempted to buy it, only £24.99 and I can use my 10% discount as well.
But... I... will... wait...