Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 12 2008, 11:17 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Hollow Pursuits

Plot Summary: LaForge is having a problem with Lieutenant Barclay, who is often late for work and seems nervous and uninspired when he arrives. Barclay can't even manage to repair a simple malfunction in an anti-gravity platform, causing it to collapse and overturn a canister of alien tissue samples. While Picard advises LaForge to find a way to connect with the troubled officer, Barclay goes to hide on the holodeck, where he has made recreations of many of the ship's senior crewmembers so that he can put LaForge and Riker in their place and "relax" with Counselor Troi. LaForge later finds him there in a simulation where Barclay is the master of a fantasy estate with the crew as his subordinates. Having fallen in love with Leah Brahms on the holodeck, LaForge is sympathetic and agrees not to tell anyone Barclay's secret. But when Riker can't find Barclay to investigate another in a series of malfunctions plaguing the ship, he goes to the holodeck with Troi, where the two discover simulated versions of themselves that irritate them. Before they have time to discuss discipline, however, the ship suffers from a series of system failures that will lead to its destruction if not resolved. Barclay hypothesizes that the malfunctions stem from something in one of the canisters of alien samples, and LaForge proves him correct. Having saved the ship, Barclay decides to delete his holographic fantasy world.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old September 13 2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Hollow Pursuits

I liked this episode. It was fun.

I think the review took too much offense when she thought the writers were being condescending. I disagree. There is nothing wrong with delving into fantasy, but when it overtakes your life or you go too much into the deep end, the way it did with Barclay, then it can become a problem.

Oh, and I rather liked Wesley's nickname for Barclay.
Old September 13 2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Data Holmes
Admiral

I loved this episode, one of TNG's best. I so connected with the character of Barclay.
Old September 13 2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Dream
Admiral

Picard's "Good, I'll look forward to your report, Mr. Broccoli... Barclay. " line was freaking awesome.
Old September 13 2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Hilarious episode.
Old September 13 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
votd
Commander

I think it's quite fitting that Wesley gave Barclay the nickname; this is his chance to be with the in crowd instead of being an outcast, if Wesley were to side with Barclay he'd forever be in the loser's club... maybe that's wrong, but it's human nature.
Old September 13 2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

I thought it was a fun episode but I have to agree with Michelle that it was a not-too-subtle dig at the fans or, rather, the Sci Fi fan stereotype. Also, she writes much better when she "comes clean". (I don't know if Michelle reads these posts or not. So, sorry about the third-person references. I've never seen her respond to any of the comments unless she uses a different name here. Michelle, care to join us? I'll check back from time to time.)
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old September 13 2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Data Holmes
Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post
I thought it was a fun episode but I have to agree with Michelle that it was a not-too-subtle dig at the fans or, rather, the Sci Fi fan stereotype. Also, she writes much better when she "comes clean". (I don't know if Michelle reads these posts or not. So, sorry about the third-person references. I've never seen her respond to any of the comments unless she uses a different name here. Michelle, care to join us? I'll check back from time to time.)
I never saw it as a dig, but as an understanding. That social awkwardness doesn't have to be a negative, but just another of life's quirks that can be worked through. The fact that Barclay went on to not only be a strong supportive character, but one who lasted so long is a showing of just how they treated him...

Was he odd, sure. Did he have problems, no doubt. But he was loved and considered a good friend by the crew who accepted him for just who he was.