Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 27 2008, 05:52 AM   #1
comicbookwriter
Captain

View comicbookwriter's Twitter Profile
DS9 Relaunch novels?

Can someone help me with a website that has full synopsis of the DS9 novels? Or does someone feel like telling me the basics of what happened in each of the new novels.

I don't mind spoilers...

Thanks in advance...
CBW

The only podcast for aspiring sci-fi and comic book writers.

comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 06:47 AM   #2
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 Relaunch novels?

We had a similar request recently for something else, SCE?

I'm not sure you'll find people willing to spend a lot of time typing in outlines of books you don't want to read.

You might try http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page or http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

My Star Trek readathon.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 03:39 PM   #3
LightningStorm
The Borg King

This is easy. People's bodies are possessed. It takes a while to figure it out. Some secondary screen characters die. Sisko comes back. Bajor joins the federation. Kira almost dies. Odo and Laas are the Dominion. Jake gets married. Ro Laren is apart of the cast and also almost dies. The Andorians are a dying species. The Ferengi culture has changed dramatically under Nagus Rom. Quark is still Quark. Garak is helping rebuild Cardassia. Obrien and family (if I remember correctly) are actually living on Cardassia. Bashir and Ezri are still lame, but fortunately not a couple anymore.

If you want details on how all this happened, then yeah, it's time to actually pick up the books.
Old August 27 2008, 04:28 PM   #4
comicbookwriter
Captain

ronny wrote: View Post
We had a similar request recently for something else, SCE?

I'm not sure you'll find people willing to spend a lot of time typing in outlines of books you don't want to read.

You might try http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page or http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main
Thanks. But that's why I asked for LINKS first. That's why I came here, to the TREK BBS LITERATURE board to get this information. I didn't expect people to spend a lot of time doing anything.

CBW

Old August 27 2008, 04:31 PM   #5
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

comicbookwriter wrote: View Post
Thanks. But that's why I asked for LINKS first. That's why I came here, to the TREK BBS LITERATURE board to get this information. I didn't expect people to spend a lot of time doing anything.

CBW
Oh yeah, you did. Sorry about that. I was having flash backs to that previous thread.

My Star Trek readathon.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 05:34 PM   #6
JD
Admiral

Not to be snotty here or anything, but is there some reason you can't read the books? No matter how good a synopsis is, it still isn't anywhere near as thorough as actually reading the book.
Old August 27 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
comicbookwriter
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Not to be snotty here or anything, but is there some reason you can't read the books? No matter how good a synopsis is, it still isn't anywhere near as thorough as actually reading the book.

Sure, I teach 12th grade history and economics in NYC public schools, I have an afterschool job, I am writing 2 comic book series and a novel. And I have a social life.

I am currently reading Stephen King's THE STAND, Michael Resnick's PARADISE, and rewatching DS9 season 4.

I just wanted to know the current state of affairs in the 24th century world of Trek. I love the DS9 characters, and I wanted to know how they were doing and what they were doing since we last saw them in WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND.

That's basically it.

CBW

Old August 27 2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I just wanted to know the current state of affairs in the 24th century world of Trek. I love the DS9 characters, and I wanted to know how they were doing and what they were doing since we last saw them in WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND.
Here is the personel section of MB's page for the station...

http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_Space_9#Residents
Old August 27 2008, 08:45 PM   #9
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post

Sure, I teach 12th grade history and economics in NYC public schools, I have an afterschool job, I am writing 2 comic book series and a novel. And I have a social life.

I am currently reading Stephen King's THE STAND, Michael Resnick's PARADISE, and rewatching DS9 season 4.

That's basically it.

CBW
Ok, it sounds like you have a legit reason for not reading the books. I was just afraid you were one of those people who was simply to lazy to read them.
Old August 27 2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Sorry, but I find that insulting. You saying "I have a social life" kinda infers that you think the rest of us don't have one.

I have a full time teaching job, too, am always working on several professional writing projects, plus maintaining several websites and blogs (both recreational and work-related), and my social life - and I often fall behind on my ST reading, but if I really, really need to know what happens in a certain ST novel I try to find snatches of time to read it.

Synopses of books you can't find the time to read are no replacement for reading books that are so low on your priority list that you have decided you'll never get to them. If your yearning to know what happens in ST was higher, surely you'd be reading ST instead of "The Stand" and "Paradise"?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 10:48 PM   #11
LightningStorm
The Borg King

None of which are infinite tasks. When you finish those you can start other books you want to read. If you are truly that interested in them you can make time for them like you did with these.
Old August 27 2008, 11:29 PM   #12
David Henderson
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to David Henderson

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I find that insulting. You saying "I have a social life" kinda infers that you think the rest of us don't have one.
You mean "implies", not "infers"... but I actually don't think it does either of those things. It seems to me that mentioning a social life in this context is merely one more thing, on top of all the other things already mentioned, that is taking this person's time.

And I don't see the problem with the question in the first place. I enjoy the Star Wars films, and though I don't read the Star Wars books, I do know that they have an ongoing continuity. At some point, I feel curious about the "current state of things" in the Star Wars book universe. In my case, I am fairly good at figuring out the right search terms in Google to find a good site to explain things, though I'd probably start my search at starwars.com or theforce.net. However, if I were unaware of these two sites, and less skilled at formulating queries (I probably couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for with a simple "star wars books" query; I'd expect to need to narrow the search further), I might very well stop by a discussion board and ask for a quick update on how things currently stand.

Curiosity is not a bad thing.

davidh
Old August 27 2008, 11:50 PM   #13
comicbookwriter
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

I have a full time teaching job, too, am always working on several professional writing projects, plus maintaining several websites and blogs (both recreational and work-related), and my social life - and I often fall behind on my ST reading, but if I really, really need to know what happens in a certain ST novel I try to find snatches of time to read it.

Synopses of books you can't find the time to read are no replacement for reading books that are so low on your priority list that you have decided you'll never get to them. If your yearning to know what happens in ST was higher, surely you'd be reading ST instead of "The Stand" and "Paradise"?
You're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions here, but I will make myself a bit clearer since there always seems to be someone lurking around waiting for an excuse to be disagreeable.

I didn't say they were "low" on my priority list. I do have things I want to do and things I need to do. I love Trek, and especially DS9. However, the Trek novels are being produced at a fast rate and in high numbers. I can't afford to follow them all, which is a reason that there are websites out there that have SYNOPSES of the stories.

I don't feel the need to justify why I choose to read certain books and when I choose to read them. I use TrekBBS as a fantastic resource and a direct conduit to like-minded Trek fans and so on. I asked for info, and I got it.

Frankly, I had no idea anyone could find a reason to be "offended" by words that had absolutely no ill will or motives behind them.

There is no requirement to read anything, and since I have already received the information I need badgering me through this thread is childish and a waste of everyone's time.

Yes, I DO have a social life, and much of that is not centered around DS9 novels. I wanted to know about my favorite characters, and I am done. Anything else said here in a negative light will be catastrophically simple minded.

CBW

Old August 28 2008, 03:54 AM   #14
Deano2099
Commander

I think people are being a bit harsh on you, but there's something to be said for: "If you want to find out what happens, go buy the books". After all the authors have to earn a living and you're basically asking for part of their work for free. I'd actually suggest you pick up Unity, as it has a timeline in the front that briefly summarises the entire series to date.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 03:58 AM   #15
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

Let's be easing up off CBW's back, y'all. He's good people.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote