Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 7 2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Red Ranger
Admiral

Re: Tin Man

Another aspect of the ep I really like is it explored what it would be like to be a truly powerful telepath. Tam was constantly in danger of losing himself to the cacophony of other people's thoughts. I think when he talks about the one race of beings he encountered that had a days-long ceremony for just saying hello was a good illustration of how someone like that would seek out the most unusual creatures with more pacific thought processes. And it also made sense he would enjoy working with Data, whose thoughts he couldn't read because he's an android. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 7 2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Yassim wrote: View Post
"Because I'm not a nice man!"
Originally, "Because I'm not a nice guy." One producer chided us, tongue-in-cheek, that "you don't write the stilted 'Star Trek' language, damn it!"

She was being nice, as there's certainly enough else about the script that's stilted.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; September 8 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old September 8 2008, 01:18 AM   #18
Kail
Commodore

Not one of my favorite episodes, but an amazing accomplishment getting a story produced on Star Trek. Congratulations on that!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Old September 8 2008, 02:28 AM   #19
Gertch
Admiral

I'll add my two cents with most here. I enjoyed it as well. It might have been interesting to meet up with them as some later date and hear about some adventures.
Old September 8 2008, 04:41 AM   #20
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I can't believe he's the same guy who played the mayor on Buffy! Wow, just wow!

I would like to know where they ended up though!
Old September 11 2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

RegentWorf wrote: View Post
I would like to know where they ended up though!
Dennis, tell us where they ended up.
Old September 11 2008, 02:37 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

About twenty minutes after the end of the story, Tam ended up in Gomtuu's digestive tract. Oops!
Old September 11 2008, 02:57 AM   #23
cynical dreamer

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
About twenty minutes after the end of the story, Tam ended up in Gomtuu's digestive tract. Oops!
LOL!

Old September 11 2008, 03:25 AM   #24
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

If Dennis says that's what happened, then that's what happened.

You just got an exclusive, folks.
Old September 11 2008, 03:30 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

Noting for the record that the sense of humor of a deteriorating old one-time tv writer is not canon...
Old September 11 2008, 05:03 AM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

One of the episodes they really knocked out of the park that season. Lots of neat SF elements, brinksmanship, and in terms of characters and development, this version of STTMP was light years better.

RAMA
Old September 11 2008, 05:20 AM   #27
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

Noting for the record that the sense of humor of a deteriorating old one-time tv writer is not canon...
The precedent may not be binding, but it is certainly persuasive.
Old September 11 2008, 07:30 AM   #28
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Yassim wrote: View Post
"Because I'm not a nice man!"
Originally, "Because I'm not a nice guy." One producer chided us, tongue-in-cheek, that "you don't write the stilted 'Star Trek' language, damn it!"

She was being nice, as there's certainly enough else about the script that's stilted.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Any plans to ever show the unstilted version of your script? I've always been pretty curious as to what some of "Trek's writing rules" are. Especially with how often RDM brings it up in his commentaries.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old September 11 2008, 02:27 PM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Any plans to ever show the unstilted version of your script? I've always been pretty curious as to what some of "Trek's writing rules" are. Especially with how often RDM brings it up in his commentaries.
The changes to the submitted script were remarkably minor - some adjustments to the first and last scene, the substitution of Troi for Riker in a Sickbay scene, and dialogue adjustments throughout - and just about all were clear improvements. Tam's the only character who got his dialogue changed for being too colloquial; we knew the show well enough to keep the other characters in character. I'd just hoped to relax the boundaries a bit by portraying Elbrun as eccentric.
Old September 12 2008, 02:35 AM   #30
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

The only problem with that is that Tam wasn't human and thus his colloquialisms that did survive (calling Riker "Billy Boy,*" for example) seemed a little ham-fisted. Still a good episode, though, one of the few TNG episodes worth re-watching.

*You could, no doubt, argue that he plucked the annoying sobriquet from Riker's mental store of "things I hate to be called" but that requires we go a long way to justify a throw-away gag.