Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 1 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Fans Say Goodbye To 'Star Trek: The Experience'

Some fans are angry, but most are just sad to see the end of the ten-year run of the Las Vegas Hilton's "Star Trek: The Experience."

As reported by The Arizona Republic, fans came to say their final farewells to the popular Star Trek attraction. One couple, Eric and Karen Klein, returned to renew their marriage vows on the bridge of the Enterprise, where they were married by a "Federation captain." "He [the Federation captain] had his own shtick," said Eric Stein, "and it was very beautiful, and it actually made the moment even that much better. It wasn't simply being on the bridge. It really felt very emotional."

According to Chad Boutte, spokesperson for The Experience, "We've got people flying in from all over the world." Another fan, Ruth Acres, from Houston, said "We had to come in one more time before it went away." Acres has visited several times before, and has spent six days at the attraction on this final trip. "We were just crying," she said. "We were so sad."

Some fans have written reminiscences about The Experience on walls inside of the attraction. "There's a tremendous amount of sadness," said Boutte. "This is a place that no one wants to end." Other fans are angered at the closing. Some of them have called the Hilton and exhibit offices to complain.

None of that has stopped the inevitable. As for the future of the space formerly occupied by The Experience? According to hotel spokesperson Ira David Sternberg, officials don't know yet how the space will be used.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old September 1 2008, 11:10 PM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: Fans Say Goodbye To 'Star Trek: The Experience'

According to some of the people I met at the Vegas con and from talking to the Hotel, they are building a Michael Jackson Theatre, similar to the one they built for Barry Manilow. That's what's going into the space. I am sure that will undoubtably bring as many fans from around the world as the Star Trek Experience has.
Old September 2 2008, 01:02 AM   #3
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I came from Australia to se ST:TE.

I certainly won't be repeating that to see somebody impersonating a child molester grabbing at his crotch.
Old September 2 2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Tulin wrote: View Post
I came from Australia to se ST:TE.

I certainly won't be repeating that to see somebody impersonating a child molester grabbing at his crotch.
What if he's grabbing at someone else's crotch?
Old September 3 2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

I left my baseball last night. Very emotional.
Old September 3 2008, 11:32 AM   #6
USS Intrepid
Commodore

To everyone at the Experience who worked their butts off entertaining people like my wife and I day in and day out, thank you.

Here's to ye lads (and lasses). You will be missed.
Old September 3 2008, 06:26 PM   #7
T'Cal
Commodore

I feel as though another series has been cancelled. I remember feeling profoundly sad when TNG ended on TV even though I knew it was going to the big screen and DS9 was on and VOY was coming soon. Same with NEM when it flopped at the box office and with ENT when it was cancelled; I felt a sense of loss. I am experiencing nip-pah' with STTE closing. Lord knows many of us did our bit to keep it successful. In my case, I brought my family to it several times over the years culminating with my wife and me renewing our marriage vows in June. I savored every moment walking around the Bridge by drinking in the moment and taking plenty of pictures and video. Tonight I will break open a bottle of Romulan Ale and toast ten years of fantasy and entertainment Trek-style. We can only hope that this next film will create enough buzz so that some established theme park will open a Trek ride with shops and restaurants. Are you listening Six Flags, Universal and Disney??
Old September 3 2008, 07:58 PM   #8
MattJC
Fleet Captain

I have to confess that I did not leave a baseball when I was last there a couple weeks ago not did I leave a message for the memorial wall.
But that doesn't mean I'm not sad that the place is gone now.