TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 3 2008, 08:42 AM   #181
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: The Night Crew

Hermiod wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Oh, you gamers. I've just never understood the appeal of video games. And the more complicated they are, the less interested I become -- not complicated as in difficult, but complicated as in, well, universes and rpg's and all that jazz. I do enjoy a game of Tetris (original game cartridge, by the way), but that's about it.
For me it's being part of a story rather than just passively following along.

You will struggle to find a better Science Fiction story and greater characterisation in a film or TV show than you'd find in Half-Life 2.
KOTOR is still IMO one of the better Star Wars stories every told.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:45 AM   #182
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Lego Indiana Jones is okay. I don't think it's quite as good as Star Wars. It's a lot less intuitive. You need the strategy guide just to get through it.

I heard that next they're doing Lego Batman.
REALLY, it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to take out the temple of doom conveyor belt boss who throws boulders at you
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:47 AM   #183
RoJoHen
Awesome

^I just started the other day, so I'm still in the beginning of "Raiders." I've only played the first 4 levels so far.
Old September 3 2008, 08:48 AM   #184
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Oh, you gamers. I've just never understood the appeal of video games. And the more complicated they are, the less interested I become -- not complicated as in difficult, but complicated as in, well, universes and rpg's and all that jazz. I do enjoy a game of Tetris (original game cartridge, by the way), but that's about it.
For me it's being part of a story rather than just passively following along.
Isn't that what life's supposed to be?

You will struggle to find a better Science Fiction story and greater characterisation in a film or TV show than you'd find in Half-Life 2.
I really don't doubt the integrity of the stories (well, some of the stories), the creativity, and so forth, and I suppose I can see the appeal for others. I don't dismiss them as stupid (well, I don't dismiss all of them as stupid), they're just not for me. I'm too bookish I suppose -- how about I pick up the novelization when it hits the shelves.

Oh, and upon talking about it, I did decide to watch Doctor Who again, and found Appointment with Death, Sparkling Cyanide, Dead Man's Folly, Cat Among the Pigeons, and I'm only 3/4 of the way through. I'm having a ball. And it must've been so much fun to write: like the thing they used to do on Whose Line is it Anyway when they could speak only in song titles and stuff.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:48 AM   #185
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

I haven't played any video games in over a month, beside web sudoku, I look forward to going back to some Rock Band.
Old September 3 2008, 08:50 AM   #186
Hermiod
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Not just your opinion, it's superb. The storyline twist is right up there with "I am your father" as Star Wars twists go.

Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:51 AM   #187
JonathonWally
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Not just your opinion, it's superb. The storyline twist is right up there with "I am your father" as Star Wars twists go.

I love the montage that she narrates and shows you in the flashbacks, I should go find that on youtube, I feel like watching it again. And of course, her amazing voice. The whole cinematic quality of it. Brilliantly directed
Old September 3 2008, 08:53 AM   #188
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i never got into KOTOR, i tend to stay away from the EU
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Old September 3 2008, 09:00 AM   #189
Hermiod
Admiral

I really don't doubt the integrity of the stories (well, some of the stories), the creativity, and so forth, and I suppose I can see the appeal for others. I don't dismiss them as stupid (well, I don't dismiss all of them as stupid), they're just not for me. I'm too bookish I suppose -- how about I pick up the novelization when it hits the shelves.
The thing is, you'd struggle to put Half-Life 2 in to words. One of the reasons people rate it so highly is that it rarely tells you what's going on. There are no cutscenes, no hours of exposition, no opening Star Wars-style crawls. You have to figure it all out for yourself.

Plus, it features Alyx Vance. I can't think of a movie character that I've cared about more than her.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 09:03 AM   #190
JonathonWally
Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
i never got into KOTOR, i tend to stay away from the EU

I normally feel the same way. But since it takes place 4000 years before Star Wars, it doesn't have some writer trying to shoehorn in movie stuff and they pretty much had complete freedom to do what they wanted in the same universe.
Old September 3 2008, 09:03 AM   #191
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i tried HL2 when i rented the orange box, and truth be told, i couldn't get into it, it was vague, ubiquitous, and honestly boring
Old September 3 2008, 09:05 AM   #192
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

The thing is, you'd struggle to put Half-Life 2 in to words. One of the reasons people rate it so highly is that it rarely tells you what's going on. There are no cutscenes, no hours of exposition, no opening Star Wars-style crawls. You have to figure it all out for yourself.

Plus, it features Alyx Vance. I can't think of a movie character that I've cared about more than her.
That alone make it sound a right bit less boring! I went ahead and read the wiki article on the game. There are a lot of very cool ideas in there, I'm just not into the structure. If I were a gamer, though, this sounds like the kind of thing I'd like.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 09:15 AM   #193
Aragorn
Admiral

I brought this up in another forum... but was anyone here around way back when on this site when someone said chess was as violent as football?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 09:16 AM   #194
captcalhoun
Admiral

it's 9:15AM here in cloudy England...

can i join the Night Crew?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 09:18 AM   #195
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

if i was i don't remember it, but i have seen one nerd shove a rook up another nerd's ass after he got beat