Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 2 2008, 05:01 AM   #16
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek' Needed A Reboot

^I've never been interested in tie-in literature for entertainment for many reasons so I wouldn't be able to say.
Old September 2 2008, 05:57 AM   #17
TJinPgh
Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post
Garrovick wrote: View Post
I'm sorry Mr. Damon Lindelof

You are mistaken

It did not.

It needed some one with imagination to go forward, to continue the saga.
Indeed. His name is JJ Abrams and that's precisely what he's doing.

Or are you suggesting the saga can only continue so long as it continues further into the fictional Trek timeline? That to me is a lack of imagination.
From what we've bee told about the plot of this movie, there's very little imaginative about it.

Bad guys go back in time to kill our hero before he becomes one.

Sorry, but we've seen that story before. It's called Terminator. Most likely with a bit of Yesterday's Enterprise thrown in.

It's not even new to the Star Trek universe, let alone to movies or Sci-Fi.

Heck, Terminator even managed to find a way to fit Ahnold into the story three times, despite the fact that he dies in every one of them. He also manages to look older each time out, despite the fact that cyborgs don't age.

Yet, a movie with a $150m budget can't manage to do what DirecTV pulled off with Shatner for a fraction of the cost.

In contrast, New Voyages manages to pump out a couple of episodes a year that are far more creative than this, yet does it in a way that pays as much homage to the original as humanly possible without actually having Gene and the original cast there to do it.

Not that I'd likely pay to see that on the big screen either. But, at least their hearts are in the right place.
Old September 2 2008, 06:03 AM   #18
MANT!
Rear Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm sorry Mr. Damon Lindelof

You are mistaken

It did not.

It needed some one with imagination to go forward, to continue the saga.
Indeed. His name is JJ Abrams and that's precisely what he's doing.

Or are you suggesting the saga can only continue so long as it continues further into the fictional Trek timeline? That to me is a lack of imagination.
That's fine, things change..

Just don't expect everyone to support this new vision and allow them their opinions.

My opinion, based on Enterprise and this new movie, Star Trek ended with Nemesis.
and there were those who didn't accept TMP either (THEY CHANGED THE UNIFORMS..DAMN THEM TO HELL!!)...and some who didn't accept WOK.(THEY CHANGED THE UNIFORMS..DAMN THEM TO HELL!)..some who didn't like Meyer Trek or Berman Trek etc...

such are rabid ate up fans...

I want to see Trek get back into the limelight it had from '79 to '96, before it got so tired and worn out. Remember from 74 to 79..there was no Trek of any kind..and the general public wanted to see it...now from '04 to '09 there has been no Trek of any kind...and there are stirrings that Joe Sixpack might just "check out that Star Trek movie"..

As long as the SPIRIT of the original is there, I'm all for a re-birth of the franchise...
Old September 2 2008, 06:05 AM   #19
TJinPgh
Captain

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I think the current continuity works very well as the basis for literature (both official lit AND unofficial fanfic). Not being under the same degree of time and budgetary pressures that a movie is, there's no reason, especially with resources like Memory Alpha and Beta available, that an author cannot do the research to work within the existing continuity. The intricacy is now very well suited to the written format, much like the extreme detail in the Star Wars: Expanded Universe continuity, or Tolkien's Middle Earth.
This has more or less been my point all along.

We are supposed to believe that these guys are brilliant, creative geniuses who can spin gold out of dental floss. Yet, they can't figure out a way to do for $150m what a bunch of fans have done for a fraction of the cost with New Voyages.

Not to mention all of the other fan fiction out there that's centered around all new crews and ships.

All we really have here is Terminator on a starship with a bunch of teen pin ups playing the leads.

Forgive me if I don't see anything overly original or creative about the whole thing.
Old September 2 2008, 06:12 AM   #20
TJinPgh
Captain

goldbug wrote: View Post
I want to see Trek get back into the limelight it had from '79 to '96, before it got so tired and worn out. Remember from 74 to 79..there was no Trek of any kind..and the general public wanted to see it...now from '04 to '09 there has been no Trek of any kind...and there are stirrings that Joe Sixpack might just "check out that Star Trek movie"..
The "general public" didn't bring Star Trek back. Paramount wanted to try to cash in on the fact that Sci-Fi was sorta big at the end of the 70s, and it seemed like a decent way to shut Roddenberry up who wouldn't stop asking to do a new show.

And, I really hate to break it to ya, but Joe Sixpack may be talking about checking out a lot of things, but Star Trek isn't one of them.

There are more people talking about Spiderman 4 and Batman 3 than this, and it's already in the can.

I love Trek as much as anybody. But, I realized a long time ago that there's nothing mainstream about it.
Old September 2 2008, 10:27 AM   #21
captcalhoun
Admiral

the books prove you don't need a reboot to be creative.

shoulda made a Vanguard-type movie...same era, new crew, new ship...
Old September 2 2008, 10:49 AM   #22
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
From what we've bee told about the plot of this movie, there's very little imaginative about it.

Bad guys go back in time to kill our hero before he becomes one.
Please tell me that's not the central plot of the movie...that is so LAME!
Old September 2 2008, 11:50 AM   #23
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I resent the implication Enterprise is to Star Trek, what Batman & Robin was to that franchise. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending that turkey. The same cannot be said of the show they cancelled in 2005. Absolutely nobody cares where Schumacher was going to take the Caped Crusader next for instance...

As for a reboot? That seems to be in the eye of the beholder. It's a risky strategy trying to be all things to all fans. Hopefully, it won't fall between two stools and satisfying neither faction.
Old September 2 2008, 11:57 AM   #24
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Actually, ENT is thought of by most people as worse.

I have come to the conclusion that the only people who actually liked ENT were about fourteen when it started airing. It was their "gateway" show. It was new and they accepted it as theirs.

The rest of us were a bit older and had seen it all about eight times before. We weren't buying the out of date snake oil Bermaga were trying to peddle to us.
Old September 2 2008, 12:31 PM   #25
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Whether or not the movie is technically a reboot, I'd like to see the new Star Trek production break free of most or all of its 40-plus-year continuity. Russell Davies was wise to have done something similar with the current Doctor Who program.
Old September 2 2008, 01:25 PM   #26
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Tulin wrote: View Post
Actually, ENT is thought of by most people as worse.

I have come to the conclusion that the only people who actually liked ENT were about fourteen when it started airing. It was their "gateway" show. It was new and they accepted it as theirs.

The rest of us were a bit older and had seen it all about eight times before. We weren't buying the out of date snake oil Bermaga were trying to peddle to us.
I was 36 when ENT first aired and I was a huge TOS fan in the 70s.

I find your comment extremely insulting. There were plenty of adult TOS fans that liked ENT.
Old September 2 2008, 01:42 PM   #27
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

^ Actually, I was going to comment that I was in my late teens during DS9 and found much to appreciate in ENT. A half way house between the happy-go-lucky TOS and what everyone still considers modern day Trek - TNG thru VOY.
Old September 2 2008, 02:10 PM   #28
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

number6 wrote: View Post
I find your comment extremely insulting. There were plenty of adult TOS fans that liked ENT.
Yeah, that was a pretty dumb statement. I know a lot of people who enjoyed Enterprise. I've been a Star Trek fan for many years, I like Enterprise better than Voyager and find the show more watchable than a lot of TNG these days.

- Bertrand Russell
Old September 2 2008, 03:27 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Commodore

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I think the current continuity works very well as the basis for literature (both official lit AND unofficial fanfic). Not being under the same degree of time and budgetary pressures that a movie is, there's no reason, especially with resources like Memory Alpha and Beta available, that an author cannot do the research to work within the existing continuity. The intricacy is now very well suited to the written format, much like the extreme detail in the Star Wars: Expanded Universe continuity, or Tolkien's Middle Earth.
This has more or less been my point all along.

We are supposed to believe that these guys are brilliant, creative geniuses who can spin gold out of dental floss. Yet, they can't figure out a way to do for $150m what a bunch of fans have done for a fraction of the cost with New Voyages.

Not to mention all of the other fan fiction out there that's centered around all new crews and ships.

All we really have here is Terminator on a starship with a bunch of teen pin ups playing the leads.

Forgive me if I don't see anything overly original or creative about the whole thing.
I love this kind of mis informed quote...with such sayings as, "with a bunch of teen pin ups playing the leads"...the people playing in this film are in their twenties, thirties, and even forties. Since they are playing younger versions of the characters, all of a sudden they are "teen pin ups". Give me a fucking break. What the hell do you think that the TOS crew was when the show first debuted? I guess they should have just stuck to throwing frumpy old guys out on the bridge.

And while New Voyages is an fun, and admirable fan series, it is not made to be mainstream, they can cater to the fan that knows that the Enterprise's self-destruct code is 000-Destruct-0. They make no money off of it, and do not have to worry about pleasing a fanbase other then the diehards. Abrams Trek is going to be a public film, that will need to make money to be successful, and will need to be mainstream to be successful. I don't understand why fans need to feel insulted when it is suggested that Trek try to become more mainstream to earn some more money and popularity. Just because something goes mainstream, doesnt make it dumbed down.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old September 2 2008, 03:41 PM   #30
PumpHunter
Lieutenant

Anyone who calls it a "franchise" is just another greedy robot who should be kicked out on their ass.