Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 3 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Not Just A Rehash Says Abrams

While acknowledging Star Trek's past, Star Trek XI will not quite be what one would expect, according to Star Trek XI Director J.J. Abrams.

As reported by A.V. Club, while promoting his new show Fringe, due out in a week, J.J. Abrams had a bit to say about Star Trek XI and why he got involved with Star Trek. "Well, I was never the type of 'Star Trek' fan that had expectations or limits about what the 'right' version of a 'Star Trek' movie should be. But at the same time, one of the reasons I got involved with 'Star Trek' was because it has such devoted fans, so I felt it was critical to honor them and honor the series. I learned as much as I could about the show, and looked for help from Bob Orci, one of the creators of 'Fringe,' who was also one of the writers of Trek, and an avowed Trekker. He knows all the arcane details, so he was the one kind of keeping me honest on the set."

Although Abrams is aware of the devoted fans, Star Trek XI is not aimed solely at them. "Ultimately, though, I wasn't making this movie just for the dedicated fans. I was making the movie for fans of movies. The final product, I think, doesn't require any prior knowledge of the show 'Star Trek.' I mean, almost anyone, if you stopped them on the street and asked who Kirk and Spock are, they'd know. I think people will typically have some sense of those two guys. And then there are fans who know every episode and argue about what the 'Star Trek' canon is. This movie does acknowledge a world that has pre-existed off the screen for decades, but when you see it, it's not going to be quite what you'd expect, and definitely not just a rehash of things you've seen before. It's a very new take on the thing that it's also beholden to. It's a very interesting balance."

Abrams is also aware of the presence of Internet fans, as reported by Buddy TV. Abrams finds what is written online to be useful to him. "Yeah, I'm beholden to the audience, and the Internet is a great way to get a sense of what people hate and what they love and what they want more of or less of. It doesn't mean you follow it all the time, but if something resonates, you can't deny it. It's not a bad tool to have in your toolbox."

Although Abrams has become well-known to science fiction fans for his work on various science fiction projects, he is actually more drawn to the unusual story than to one that is strictly science fiction. "Doing 'Star Trek,' that really is science fiction. On 'Lost,' you can kind of argue it was a science fiction show, but we weren't open about that at the beginning. And then 'Alias' had a sci-fi bent from the beginning. 'Star Trek' is 'Star Trek,' you know what I mean? I don't regard the genre as much as I like stories that are often just a little bit off-center or weirder. That usually means some version of science fiction."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old September 3 2008, 08:40 PM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Not Just A Rehash Says Abrams

TrekToday wrote: View Post
it's not going to be quite what you'd expect.
I expect this to be a reboot of some kind.
I'd be very surprised if that is not the case.
Old September 3 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Surprise, surprise.
Old September 3 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I just had a feeling MattJC would be one of the first to say something...

After reading so much of what Abrams has said lately, I know know that his favorite word is "beholden".
Old September 3 2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Procutus
Admiral

Well, I don't want to sound like Matt, but this is more J.J. babble. I'll really start to get excited when he actually shows us something to confirm this is really, really different.
Old September 3 2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
Well, I don't want to sound like Matt, but this is more J.J. babble. I'll really start to get excited when he actually shows us something to confirm this is really, really different.
I do admit that, while I am enthusiastic about the movie and what JJA has to say about it, I would like to see something to back up with they are saying. The cast posters were a good start though.
Old September 3 2008, 11:37 PM   #7
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I'm sure we'll see more soon.
Old September 4 2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Procutus
Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I do admit that, while I am enthusiastic about the movie and what JJA has to say about it, I would like to see something to back up with they are saying. The cast posters were a good start though.

I agree Broc, but I'm really anxious to see a few still photos. I remember back in 1979, Paramount released a cast photo of the crew on the bridge, as early as March or April, more than six months before the film hit the screens. I'm just kinda surprised that we haven't had something similar here, just a few shots from one or two of the sets.
Old September 4 2008, 01:12 AM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

^Different times.
Old September 4 2008, 01:13 AM   #10
Basil
Fleet Captain

"JJ babble" is a good way to put it; he seems to recycle the same two or three comments for each interview, and it is getting tiresome.
Old September 4 2008, 02:03 AM   #11
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Excellent news!
Old September 4 2008, 07:32 AM   #12
Aragorn
Admiral

Augustus wrote: View Post
I just had a feeling MattJC would be one of the first to say something...
In smiley shorthand, you can simply refer to it as:

There's a reason people in the biz should stay far away from internet message boards.
Old September 4 2008, 08:21 AM   #13
StarMan
Vice Admiral

We are starting to give Abrams shit about his interviews just as we did Berman.

Congrats, JJ. You're a bona fide Trek Producer!
Old September 4 2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
^Different times.

True.
Old September 5 2008, 06:25 AM   #15
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
We are starting to give Abrams shit about his interviews just as we did Berman.

Congrats, JJ. You're a bona fide Trek Producer!