Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 4 2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

Is my Xbox 360 dead?

There is no red ring of death, but out of nowhere my game started freezing. I had to press the power button on the console, tried again, and it froze again. I thought maybe it's the disc, but when I played a game that was on my hard drive, a few minutes in, it also froze!

Last edited by Aragorn; September 4 2008 at 08:04 AM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Is my Xbox 360 dead?

^Sounds like the graphics hardware is going. I had similar problems when my launch day 360 went, it eventually RRoDed on me.

The problem is that unless it actually RRoD's or it's still under warranty, Microsoft won't replace it.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Mistral
Vice Admiral

one option is to wrap it in towels and leave it on for a few hours-"bake" it in case the solder has broken-"baking" it re-welds the solder and revives dying Xboxes.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Just be very very carefully if you try the towel trick, i tried this unsuccesfuly when i got 2 red lights and MS wanted £70 to fix the 360, so i gave the towel trick a go and i can tell you the whole lot reaches very dangerous levels of heat.....so if you do try it be very careful, and under no circumstances leave it on for a few hours, after 20 Min's mine felt like it was about to burst into fire.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2008, 01:21 PM   #5
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well that was exactly what happened to mine when I had to send it off. As I mentioned yesterday in another thread, I was in the middle of "Crackdown" when it started going bad, suddenly with no warning. I never did get the actual RROD, but MSFT did fix it under the 3 year warranty thing.
Old September 4 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post
Just be very very carefully if you try the towel trick, i tried this unsuccesfuly when i got 2 red lights and MS wanted £70 to fix the 360, so i gave the towel trick a go and i can tell you the whole lot reaches very dangerous levels of heat.....so if you do try it be very careful, and under no circumstances leave it on for a few hours, after 20 Min's mine felt like it was about to burst into fire.
My bad-did some checking and 20 minutes is accurate, according to my friends on XBOX Live. They WILL burst into flames after an hour or so of "baking". Sorry.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2008, 07:41 PM   #7
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post
My bad-did some checking and 20 minutes is accurate, according to my friends on XBOX Live. They WILL burst into flames after an hour or so of "baking". Sorry.
Just be careful.
We don't need another story saying it's the fault of an XBox 360 that someone's house burn down.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Immolatus
Captain

for the longest time I was debating to get a 360 or a PS3. After reading on several forums on how often the 360 dies I decided on the PS3. Now I never owned a 360 and I love my original xbox, but I read to many horror stories on the 360 to get one
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^The 360 has some great games and XBlive and all its features are still top of the pack, but the machine itself is some what dodgy and seem to suffer badly from overheating, which would not be to bad if MS were covering all errors caused by overheating, but they are not, they are only covering 3 Red lights, and any other faults caused by overheating they want you to pay for.

Silly buggers.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote