The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 12 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Aike
Commander

When Was Fandom At Its Peak?

In what year do you think the popularity Star Trek peaked?

Late 70s when The Motion Picture opened?

During the 80s?

Or during the final years of TNG?
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: When Was Fandom At Its Peak?

Absolutely 75-76. ST primed the pump and SW cashed in on it in 77. If they'd gotten ANY kind of trek feature into theaters before SW, it would have been huge. You look at the mid to late 70s and see the bestseller nf boom w/ Trek and the insanely large conventions and the general trek madness and while it wasn't quite Bond as of 1965, it was pretty close.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Aike
Commander

trevanian wrote: View Post
Absolutely 75-76. ST primed the pump and SW cashed in on it in 77. If they'd gotten ANY kind of trek feature into theaters before SW, it would have been huge. You look at the mid to late 70s and see the bestseller nf boom w/ Trek and the insanely large conventions and the general trek madness and while it wasn't quite Bond as of 1965, it was pretty close.
Bond as of 1965? What do you mean with that?
Did the early Bond movies have a huge following back then?
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Aike wrote: View Post
In what year do you think the popularity Star Trek peaked?

Late 70s when The Motion Picture opened?

During the 80s?

Or during the final years of TNG?
About years 3 to 5 of TNG. TNG was the most mainstream success "Star Trek" ever had, expanding the popularity of the Franchise exponentially and internationally.

Maybe Abrams will do even better.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

I think Trek became accepted by the most people during TNG. Even people who didn't like "sci-fi stuff" would tune in to watch TNG each week.
They would talk about it over the water cooler at work, etc. People who new I was into ST would ask me questions about something on the show.
Old September 12 2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Dale
Vice Admiral

TWOK was a high point for TOS fandom, otherwise I'd say mid-run of TNG for Trek overall.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

My gut instinct says Trek fandom peaked when First Contact opened in the theaters.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 07:56 PM   #8
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Aike wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Bond as of 1965? What do you mean with that?
Did the early Bond movies have a huge following back then?
For THUNDERBALL they had many screens running 24hrs/day during opening weeks, the bond insanity (including martini drinking) going up into stratosphere.
Old September 12 2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^ Oh... thanks for the history lesson. I think I was more interested in learning to spell my own name back then.
Old September 12 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
trevanian
Rear Admiral

So was I, but I saw Goldfinger in the theater before I could even do that (thanks, mum.)
Old September 12 2008, 08:03 PM   #11
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Wow... I was a teen before I saw it on TV. It was the first time I saw a naked woman, even if she was painted gold.
Old September 12 2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Trek was at its peak for me in the mid nineties you had two series to choose from, a new movie that came out, and reruns weren't that old.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Maxtype
Cadet

I'd say the period of Star Trek IV-VI-TNG was the peak for people around me.Star Trek had that "mainstream" thing going on. For example,our wargames club consisting of everything from teenagers to mid-grade Army Officers and their families would drop everything to watch TNG's new episode Saturday evening.
Maxtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 08:55 PM   #14
SFRabid
Commodore

Dale wrote: View Post
TWOK was a high point for TOS fandom, otherwise I'd say mid-run of TNG for Trek overall.
This gets my vote. Late in the run of TNG Trek perception started moving from just nerdy to "un-cool nerdy". Star Wars was big competition but the release of Trekkies and news coverage of the juror in a Trek uniform did it in.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 09:08 PM   #15
FredH
Captain

I disliked The Voyage Home, but the mid-eighties were a perfect peak. People were looking forward to TVH as the wrapup of the "trilogy" (and most of them seemed to love it). Fandom was going strong in print fanzines (which I miss), Creation Cons, and the Best of Trek books. The increasingly movielike novels and the strongly developed FASA RPG were going strong. Plus TNG was announced for the following year. The Official Fan Club was putting out a glossy zine, and the Star Trek Welcommittee hadn't faded away yet.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote