IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 24 2008, 08:52 AM   #46
Timo
Admiral

Re: Picard's 'middle' years

So it's just as well I didn't reference the Pathfinder in TBA.
Oh, you could have written six and a half paragraphs on how Picard and Maisel liked to privately call their ship the Pathfinder, say, because of their longstanding argument of whether they were achieving anything new and worthwhile with her.

Uhh, you're cherry-picking my words and twisting the meaning. The key word isn't "passionate," it's "xenophile." My point is that Riker was someone who was drawn to the alien, who rejoiced in diversity. He's the last person who'd be prone to vehement anti-alien sentiment.
Sorry - I only wanted to point out that a xenophile would indeed be prime material for a xenophobe. Riker wouldnt' be afraid, in the PC sense, to say what he thinks about aliens, in good and bad alike. He certainly spat on quite a few species during his seven TNG years.

But one might argue that he did that in good nature. Insulting a Romulan or a Klingon might be what these folks expect and look forward to, after all - and Riker did well in that respect in "A Matter of Honor". And preempting a Ferengi's attempts at swindling would only tell the Ferengi that this particular customer knew his stuff and was forthright with his knowledge: trademarks of a customer you could rely on, and of an idiot who just volunteered a valuable ace out of his sleeve and would thus be all that more attractive a customer...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 10:30 PM   #47
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Christopher wrote: View Post
arch101 wrote: View Post
Christopher- To the average Trek fan like me, who hasn't the patience to nit-pick about cannon and details, TBA was a superb read. Easily on par with anything I've ever read from Clarke. Between TBA and Ex Machina, you've made me a regular customer.
Wow, high praise indeed! Thank you!
I have to jump in here. I've recommended Ex Machina to several friends, trekkies and non-trekkies alike and most have bought the book, and really enjoyed it - then asked when the sequel was coming out. I had to tell them that it didn't sell well enough for the publisher and they muttered some inventive invective.

I found TBA to be an excellent read and an interesting exploration in just how big the galaxy is and how certain events can have repercussions for millennia. Reading GTTS now and thanking the Patron Saint of Readers and Writers that you were able to...you know...the TNGR.

Great stuff, and you are easily the contemporary of current scifi master Peter Hamilton too.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 11:40 PM   #48
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Xeris wrote: View Post
Great stuff, and you are easily the contemporary of current scifi master Peter Hamilton too.
That's not much of an accomplishment, since "contemporary" means they're both living around the same time........

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 06:21 AM   #49
Timo
Admiral

Perhaps he means they both have achieved a lot at an early age? Why, Christopher might even be a child progeny!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 01:44 PM   #50
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

KRAD wrote: View Post
Xeris wrote: View Post
That's not much of an accomplishment, since "contemporary" means they're both living around the same time........
Wah!! My internal thesaurus failed me yesterday. Let's just say "Easily as good as" PH, though I think Chris is better.

Old September 25 2008, 01:44 PM   #51
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Perhaps he means they both have achieved a lot at an early age? Why, Christopher might even be a child progeny!

Timo Saloniemi
I think you mean child prodigy

Old September 26 2008, 10:10 AM   #52
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
I know plenty of young people who can't shut up until I hold up a roll of duct tape in a threatening manner.
You don't scare me Ward.

* mmmmmpppphhhhfffff *
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote