CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 13 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

OT: Christie Golden Part of Next Star Wars 9-Book Series

I only mention this because of Ms. Golden's past association with Trek. But Golden, along with Aaron Allston and Troy Denning, will be writing the next 9-book Star Wars series, Fate of the Jedi. This takes place after their last series, Legacy of the Force.

I'm a big fan of Star Wars books (New Jedi Order and onwards), and I'm curious if any others here are and what they think of her involvement in the new series. I haven't read enough of her books to get a good feel for her style, but what I did read (the first two books in the Voyager relaunch) gave me pause. Still, I think it's great to see her get this opportunity and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

The first novel in the series, Outcast, comes out in April 2009.
Old September 13 2008, 11:37 PM   #2
BryanSorensen
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to BryanSorensen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BryanSorensen Send a message via Yahoo to BryanSorensen
Re: OT: Christine Golden Part of Next Star Wars 9-Book Series

Oh no you didn't! I thought anything Lucas went against the charter of this fine organization!
BryanSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2008, 11:51 PM   #3
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

It's Christie Golden, not Christine. Could a kindly mod fix the subject line, please?

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Pif. I gave up on the tedious, simplistic exercise in repetition that was Legacy of the Force four books in. This new series has the same format and author line-up, save for replacing one author I midly dislike for one I actively dislike. Pass.

(Incidently, it's TheForce.Net that seems to have first made the error of calling her Christine instead of Christie)

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old September 14 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Wow.

Yeah, uh, this is... comical at this point.

I used to love Star Wars books (see: my username ), but Legacy Of The Force was just stupid, and taking Traviss (who I like a lot, in every book she's written except Legacy) and replacing her with the author of the simplistic, poorly-thought-out drivel that I thought Homecoming etc were? This does not inspire confidence.

I'll pass.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2008, 12:54 AM   #6
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Legacy of the Force was so mediocre-- part of it due to this rotating author approach-- that I've little inclination to pick up Fate of the Jedi. And a nine-book series all in hardcover? I think I'll pick up the first once it's in paperback, but I'm not very hopeful. Allston and Denning are usually reliable authors, but they were less than so in LotF.
Old September 14 2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Legacy of the Force was so mediocre-- part of it due to this rotating author approach-- that I've little inclination to pick up Fate of the Jedi. And a nine-book series all in hardcover? I think I'll pick up the first once it's in paperback, but I'm not very hopeful. Allston and Denning are usually reliable authors, but they were less than so in LotF.
Allston was fine, Denning was atrocious. I liked the Dark Nest books a lot, but I don't know what got into him here. Allston and Traviss seemed to really be trying, at first, to make Jacen's fall into a sympathetic journey (especially Traviss in Sacrifice), but Denning just made him into a MUA-HA-HA idiot villain that all the other characters just gave up on.

And the multiple author approach also managed to simultaneously leave plot threads dangling uselessly between books by one author (like Fett, only appearing in Traviss's), and also cover the same ground over and over and over again with little movement forward. It was... lame.
Old September 14 2008, 01:12 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

Hmmm, I haven't read Legacy of the Force yet so I don't really know what to make of the new series. But comparing what I've heard about Travis to what I've heard about Christie Golden (I haven't read any book by either of them yet, althought I do own the first Voyager: Dark Matters book, and the LotF: Sacrifice) it sounds like this was a bad move.
I actually have the first, fifth, and sixth LotF books, but I fell a litle behind on Trek so I'm trying to get caught up on it before going back to Star Wars.
Old September 14 2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I think the first two Legacy books are fantastic, and then it's pretty much all downhill from there. So, even if you're impressed with the first one, read at your own risk.

Traviss's Republic Commando series, on the other hand, is pretty wonderful.
Old September 14 2008, 01:18 AM   #10
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Legacy is the worst series so far in the novel line. I finished Sacrifice a few months ago and stopped there. I'm dreading reading the other books. I'll finish it but who knows when. Hopefully the next series will be better. But all hardcovers? Ugh. Why?

alternating writers doesn't work. it's too choppy. I prefer the way NJO did it with duologies.
Old September 14 2008, 01:24 AM   #11
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I actually liked NJO quite a lot, except for that odd trilogy in the final year that slowed the series's momentum to a complete crawl.
Old September 14 2008, 02:09 AM   #12
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Re: OT: Christie Golden Part of Next Star Wars 9-Book Series

KRAD wrote: View Post
It's Christie Golden, not Christine. Could a kindly mod fix the subject line, please?
She's mentioned as Christine in the announcement, which is why I wrote that. Anyhow, I fixed it.

EDITED ADD:

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed Legacy of the Force despite its flaws. I'll be reading this series, despite the fact that it's all hardcovers.
Old September 14 2008, 02:44 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Legacy is the worst series so far in the novel line. I finished Sacrifice a few months ago and stopped there. I'm dreading reading the other books. I'll finish it but who knows when. Hopefully the next series will be better. But all hardcovers? Ugh. Why?

alternating writers doesn't work. it's too choppy. I prefer the way NJO did it with duologies.
Yeah, but the NJO's main problem was that it was too damned long, and diverged far too much. About 12 books too long. I haven't read Legacy yet, but I'm hoping it's shorter length will lead to a more cohesive storyline. NJO was all over the place.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2008, 02:44 AM   #14
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: OT: Christie Golden Part of Next Star Wars 9-Book Series

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
KRAD wrote: View Post
She's mentioned as Christine in the announcement, which is why I wrote that. Anyhow, I fixed it.

EDITED ADD:

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed Legacy of the Force despite its flaws. I'll be reading this series, despite the fact that it's all hardcovers.
So will I, once they're all paperbacks.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2008, 03:21 AM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yeah, but the NJO's main problem was that it was too damned long, and diverged far too much. About 12 books too long. I haven't read Legacy yet, but I'm hoping it's shorter length will lead to a more cohesive storyline. NJO was all over the place.
Personally, I felt like tNJO was way more cohesive than LotF. The chunked duologies/trilogies of tNJO meant that each author carved out his/her own little story within the megastory, whereas with LotF everyone was trying to write one story and not really holding it together.