Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 30 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
avsherwood1
Ensign

Been catching up on some of the newer books... (Spoilers)

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this board for years but finally decided to sign up (again) and start posting.

I've finally had the opportunity to catch up on some of the newer Trek books out there and been having a fun time. So far I've read all three Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Resistance, Before Dishonor, The Buried Age, and Rising Son.

So now some observations...

In Before Dishonor I found it hard to believe how little Starfleet and the newer members of the crew trusted Picard. Picard has managed to satisfactorily handle Borg problems for quite a while now and I just found it hard to believe that Starfleet would act like Picard doesn't have some idea of what he's doing.

On a more positive note, I thought The Buried Age was absolutely fantastic. Out of all the books I've read recently I felt this stood head and shoulders above the rest. Even though it took place before Next Gen it felt more like Next Gen than the relaunch books. I enjoyed Picard's first encounter with Data and Troi - especially the explanation as to why it seemed like Data didn't know as much about humanity as one would expect having been around them for as long as he was. I liked Ariel's character - even though she was the "villian" I was convinced that she truly believed she was helping the galaxy by harming Starfleet. Great job!

I loved the strange crew of the Even Odds, especially Stessie - and I was sad when she died.

Here's hoping I can get some of the newer books from the library soon. After The Buried Age, I'm really looking forward to reading Greater Than the Sum.
avsherwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Been catching up on some of the newer books... (Spoilers)

avsherwood1 wrote: View Post
On a more positive note, I thought The Buried Age was absolutely fantastic. Out of all the books I've read recently I felt this stood head and shoulders above the rest. Even though it took place before Next Gen it felt more like Next Gen than the relaunch books. I enjoyed Picard's first encounter with Data and Troi - especially the explanation as to why it seemed like Data didn't know as much about humanity as one would expect having been around them for as long as he was. I liked Ariel's character - even though she was the "villian" I was convinced that she truly believed she was helping the galaxy by harming Starfleet. Great job!
Thank you!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

In Before Dishonor I found it hard to believe how little Starfleet and the newer members of the crew trusted Picard. Picard has managed to satisfactorily handle Borg problems for quite a while now and I just found it hard to believe that Starfleet would act like Picard doesn't have some idea of what he's doing.
You probably haven't read the nine-part "A Time..." mini-series, set between "Insurrection" and "Nemesis", and it really puts Picard's previously stainless steel, sqeaky clean reputation through the wringer. Some of that distrust you perceived in "Before Dishonor" stems from there.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Leaf
Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's something I've always wondered... how much knowledge does the average civillian (not related or involved with an SF officer) in Startrek have of what Starfleet does?

Since Captain Picard was allowed to go back to Earth immediately after being de-Locutus'd and wasn't killed on sight by a mob of terrifed french people, I can bet a lot of it gets classified.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

Leaf wrote: View Post
That's something I've always wondered... how much knowledge does the average civillian (not related or involved with an SF officer) in Startrek have of what Starfleet does?
That's something I've always wondered, especially in some recent books where most people acted like everything the Voyager crew learned about the Borg was common knowledge... at least in Starfleet.

One thing that really jumped out at me, in a positive way, from Imzadi was how none of the TNG crew was aware of the Guardian of Forever. I agree that something like that would be highly classified.
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Idoliside
Commander

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this board for years but finally decided to sign up (again) and start posting.

I've finally had the opportunity to catch up on some of the newer Trek books out there and been having a fun time. So far I've read all three Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Resistance, Before Dishonor, The Buried Age, and Rising Son.

So now some observations...

I loved the strange crew of the Even Odds, especially Stessie - and I was sad when she died.

Here's hoping I can get some of the newer books from the library soon. After The Buried Age, I'm really looking forward to reading Greater Than the Sum.
If your into the DS9-RL have you read Avatar - Mission: Gamma - Unity series?
Also i recommend Q&A and Greater Than The Sum, much better TNG-RL books that have a general theme of exploration, life and Q
Idoliside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 01:21 PM   #7
avsherwood1
Ensign

Since Captain Picard was allowed to go back to Earth immediately after being de-Locutus'd and wasn't killed on sight by a mob of terrifed french people, I can bet a lot of it gets classified. Yesterday 07:18 PM
Yes, I can understand that Starfleet would certainly want to classify certain things. However, at some point wouldn't Starfleet go, "Y'know, Picard seems to know what he's doing with the Borg stuff... maybe we should just let him do his thing." I was actually relieved when Spock suggested Starfleet do as such.

By the way... I do plan to check out the books everyone mentioned when I can.
avsherwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote