Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 22 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Procutus
Admiral

Has 'The Cage' Remastered been aired?

This may be a dumb question, but a recent article indicated that 'The Cage' was the only remastered ep yet to be broadcast, but the remastered list I have from startrek.com indicated it was to have been shown back in April of this year.

So my question is, have I missed seeing it, or is it still ahead of us?

Old August 23 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Has 'The Cage' Remastered been aired?

It was originally slated for April, but it was pulled. Now it's expected to be broadcast sometime in the next "season" of TOS-R, which will be all reruns except for "The Cage." No word yet on whether it'll be run in a 90-minute block, cut down to fit in an hour with commercials, or what. Maybe the delay was because they're still trying to decide that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 01:58 AM   #3
gastrof
Rear Admiral

I still can't find out if my local station is going to run year three of TOSR or not.
Old August 23 2008, 02:20 AM   #4
Procutus
Admiral

Thanks, Christopher! I'll keep my eye open for it.
Old August 23 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
zopman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

gastrof wrote: View Post
I still can't find out if my local station is going to run year three of TOSR or not.
Yeah, I'm a little concerned that my station here in NYC (WWOR, ch. 9) won't continue either. I missed a few of my faves that I wanna see - "Balance of Terror" & "By Any Other Name," as well as "The Cage." I haven't seen any national schedule posted anywhere yet for TOS-R "Season 3." Has anybody else? I'm sure someone would have posted it in a millisecond if CBS/Paramount had released a new sched, & it's getting close to the end of this season's sched. To coin a phrase, I got a bad feeling about this...

Last edited by zopman; August 23 2008 at 03:09 PM.
zopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 09:41 PM   #6
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

No, not yet. It'll likely air sometime this fall or winter as the one lone "new" episode in a sea of reruns. But at least we still have one more to go. The Remastering cycle's not done. Not just yet.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Considering that all of the other Remastered episodes were cut down to fit in a standard syndication block, I think it's safe to assume that The Cage will be cut down as well. Which is quite unfortunate; it'll get butchered by the cuts.
Old August 24 2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

^ I don't think you can assume this at all. I'm assuming it will lead off a syndication package as a 2 hours special, with bonus features on the remastering, which can be lifted off of the DVD packages, as filler. The special would have a break half way through to make it into two one hour episodes for future re-airing.
Old August 24 2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Outpost4 wrote: View Post
^ I don't think you can assume this at all. I'm assuming it will lead off a syndication package as a 2 hours special, with bonus features on the remastering, which can be lifted off of the DVD packages, as filler. The special would have a break half way through to make it into two one hour episodes for future re-airing.
Like they did when they first aired it '86 and again in '88 because of the writer's strike? I don't think syndication stations are that flexible anymore about how they block their time.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

They pre-empt shows all the time for sporting events. I disagree. I'd hate to think of the number of times TOS-R was pre-empted on my local station for sporting events.
Old August 24 2008, 01:20 AM   #11
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

They pre-empt shows all the time for sporting events. I disagree. I'd hate to think of the number of times TOS-R was pre-empted on my local station for sporting events.
Yeah, but they get more ad revenue from sporting events. Rerun syndication stuff like this is just filler to them. Unless they hold off on this until May to tie into the new movie, I don't see a lot of stations rearranging their schedules for two hours of "The Cage."
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

I expected The Cage to lead off the new TOS-R season in September, but according to trekmovie.com it will air in 2009. It will be available earlier (November 2008) on the DVD set.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 04:05 PM   #13
erastus25
Commodore

Considering that the bulk of the episodes are 30+ years old we're lucky most stations show them at all. We're even luckier if it's during the day. The local Boston affiliate shows them at like 1:05 in the morning and for much of the first season the start time was pretty iffy.
Old August 27 2008, 09:56 PM   #14
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Turbo wrote: View Post
Considering that all of the other Remastered episodes were cut down to fit in a standard syndication block, I think it's safe to assume that The Cage will be cut down as well. Which is quite unfortunate; it'll get butchered by the cuts.
Maybe not. All you'd have to do is put the uncut Remastered episode in a 90-minute slot with commercials and you'd have more or less enough time to air the entire thing as it exists on DVD and the older VHS tapes from Paramount. Which can be done since the other 79 episodes are all finished and have been aired.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 11:43 PM   #15
Procutus
Admiral

Cyrus wrote: View Post
I expected The Cage to lead off the new TOS-R season in September, but according to trekmovie.com it will air in 2009. It will be available earlier (November 2008) on the DVD set.

Damn, I was hoping it would be shown sometime soon.

Thanks for the info!