Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 26 2008, 04:55 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

My Injury Made Shatner A Star

Veteran actor Christopher Plummer is responsible for inadvertently helping William Shatner to rise to stardom.

As reported by contactmusic.com, Plummer, best known for his portrayal of Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music, was sidelined in 1956 when an unexpected injury incurred during a sexual encounter the night before caused him to miss playing his role in Henry V. "I woke up alone the next morning," explained Plummer in his autobiography In Spite of Myself. "...(pain) all around my groin and lower abdomen...I started to whimper like a whipped dog. 'So this is what syphilis is like?' I thought. 'I suppose I deserve it, but Christ, how the hell was I to know?'"

It wasn't syphilis that was causing the pain though, but a dislodged kidney stone. Plummer had to go to the hospital where the troublesome stone was removed with a surgical wire.

Plummer realized that he would be unable to perform that day in Henry V and that his understudy, a fellow Canadian, would have to take his place. "It began to sink in...Shatner, my understudy, would have to go on...(It) instantly brought back the pain. I screamed for a nurse who jabbed me with more morphine. I knew then that the S.O.B was going to be a 'star.'"

Shakespeare would again unite Shatner and Plummer. In Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, Plummer portrayed General Chang, the Shakespeare-quoting Klingon who sought to destroy James T. Kirk.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old August 26 2008, 05:09 AM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: My Injury Made Shatner A Star

Why oh why?? Christopher Plummer could have been Captain Kirk!!!

Maybe Shatner's constant shagging of go-go booted space babes was his way of rubbing it in to Mr. Plummer!!
Old August 26 2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Plummer talks about it in one of the extras on the Special Edition of the TUC DVD (although he left out some key details; he only said he was in the hospital).

The kicker was when people started visiting him in the hospital and told him just how great Shatner was (mainly how he was playing the part completely differently than how Plummer had been doing it), giving Plummer added incentive to get healthy and reclaim his rightful place.
Old August 26 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
cubbie
Vice Admiral

This is a great story about Plummer
Old August 26 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Plummer talks about it in one of the extras on the Special Edition of the TUC DVD (although he left out some key details; he only said he was in the hospital).

The kicker was when people started visiting him in the hospital and told him just how great Shatner was (mainly how he was playing the part completely differently than how Plummer had been doing it), giving Plummer added incentive to get healthy and reclaim his rightful place.
I ... wonder ... if ... Shatner's delivery was ... anything ... like he did on ... Star Trek? The pain! The pain!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 26 2008, 01:28 PM   #6
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Ouch! Too much information!
Old August 26 2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk. The only assumption that can be made from this story is that William Shatner would not have been as well known when GR was (re-)casting TREK and he probably would have picked someone else (like Lloyd Bridges).
Old August 26 2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk.
I don't think anyone did, outside of jest.
Old August 26 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Captain von Trapp is General Chang?

Jeez, next you'll be telling me that Qui-Gon Jinn is Oskar Schindler....
Old August 26 2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wow, that's an awesome story.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old August 26 2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Since I didn't read the whole story, can I just start a rumor that Christopher Plummer gave William Shatner syphilis?
Old August 26 2008, 07:59 PM   #12
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk. The only assumption that can be made from this story is that William Shatner would not have been as well known when GR was (re-)casting TREK and he probably would have picked someone else (like Lloyd Bridges).
They were totally ready to sign Christopher Plummer as Captain Kirk, but Plummer had a clause that Shatner had to be his understudy. The night before he had to go and shoot WNMHGB he caught a nasty case of crabs from the key grip's daughter and Shatner got the call. True story. Swear on a hunk of Bibles and such!!
Old August 26 2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I love it when people get to the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck stage of their lives and start spinning stories.
Old August 26 2008, 10:49 PM   #14
number6
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I love it when people get to the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck stage of their lives and start spinning stories.
i just turned I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck last year.
Old August 27 2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

"So this is what syphilis is like?"

Classic line there Plummer.