Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 24 2008, 02:28 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek: The Experience's' Last Days

Star Trek: The Experience celebrated its tenth anniversary this year but will close on September 1st, to the dismay of Star Trek fans.

As reported by In Business Las Vegas, even though the attraction is closing soon, business is still brisk. ""I went out the other day, and the lines extended back into the corridor," said Chad Boutte, operations manager and marketing director for The Experience.

There was a time when such long lines caused problems for the Hilton. Gaming regulators were not happy with the children waiting in line to get into the attraction, because they were standing next to slot machines which were located near the entrance to The Experience. The Hilton was obliged to pay a fine as a result.

Fans are unhappy with the pending closure. Boutte reports that he has received over five thousand emails and a stack of petitions nearly six-feet high from fans hoping to stop the closure. Many fans are blaming the Hilton for the loss of The Experience. "Some of them are saying they are so upset that they'll never stay at a Hilton again, and some of them say they'll never come back to Las Vegas again," said Boutte.

It is not yet known what will take the place of The Experience. "There's no timetable, no rush to make a decision," said Las Vegas Hilton spokesman Ira David Sternberg. "I think all options are on the table. It's an interesting venue." Options for the space include another themed experience, more gaming, or a theater show.

The Experience's last public show will occur around 8:30 P.M. and then the attraction will be open for a VIP event to be attended by fans chosen by the attraction's management as well as celebrities. Boutte is considering auctioning five tickets for the "final mission" on eBay because of the high interest.

Following the party, at 10 P.M., at the entrance to The Experience, there will be a "decommissioning ceremony" which will be open to the public.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old August 24 2008, 03:18 AM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience's' Last Days

Just a little over a week left.
It was fun.
However, I have gotten annoyed how groups of people got their table first, when I was in the front of the line.
Still, I'll miss the place.
Old August 24 2008, 03:55 AM   #3
T J
Commodore

A very sad time indeed. I'm glad I got to see it a few times and once with the wife before they pulled the plug.
Old August 24 2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

I'm very glad I was able to make it to The Experience this summer. There will never be another attraction like it. I'm quite sad to see it go.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Old August 24 2008, 05:34 AM   #5
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

MattJC wrote: View Post
Just a little over a week left.
It was fun.
However, I have gotten annoyed how groups of people got their table first, when I was in the front of the line.
Still, I'll miss the place.
It's because they are JJ Abrams fans and you know it.
Old August 24 2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Pioneer
Captain

All those e-mails and letters don't seem to have had much of an effect on the closing. They're going to close it anyway and have no idea what and how they're going to replace it.

On a similar note, the SciFi Channel just canceled Stargate: Atlantis which I'm sure many here watch. It will be replaced by a new show called Stargate: Universe supposedly targeted to a "younger" audience. Who asked for this? Science Fiction fans are definitely the red-headed step-children of the entertainment industry.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 25 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

I was just thinking that it was a friend of mine that I met while working at The Experience that introduced me to this board.

At any rate, I'll be there on the last day to drink them dry and leave my baseball.
Old August 25 2008, 11:16 AM   #8
ELURIA
Captain

Star Trek is over

Mum: "No worse...they're Republicans"

(From Vertigo's Y:The Last Man)
Old August 25 2008, 07:48 PM   #9
T'Cal
Commodore

I have visited there at least ten times, the last this past June with my family when my wife and I renewed our vows on the Bridge. I will truly miss ST:TE. If you've never gone, you don't belong on this site!!! You failed to support the last physical manefestation of our beloved Trek. A pox on you all!!!
Old August 25 2008, 09:47 PM   #10
rayjay
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was in Vegas for the convention earlier this month. I heard (a rumor?) from two individuals at a local watering hole that the Hilton already has a plan in place on what's replacing the Experience.

According to them, it's going to be a performance space and themed Experience featuring the career of a high profile Entertainer. Said Entertainer has been signed to a contract to do shows for the next three years in the new space.

The person in question...?

Michael Jackson

Supposedly one of the owners/investors in the Hilton bailed him out when he had mortgage troubles with his Neverland Ranch. This is the payment in return for that help.

Take it FWIW.
Old August 25 2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Dale
Vice Admiral

Michael Jackson: The Experience

Following a sidewalk that lights up square by square, along with everything you touch, you enter a world where everyone has rythym and crazy dance skills. Pursued through this space by very hip zombies and gang members who resolve their differences through interpretive "dance violence," you find your self in a "personal amusement park," but scaled up to make you feel the size of a child. You are lured by a charming little chimpanzee in people clothes into a regal bedroom where the walls are adorned by wood carvings depicting scenes from "Peter Pan." You climb atop a giant round bed with red velvet sheets and just as you are starting to doze off, a pixie-like man of uncertain ethnic extraction - in an enourmous fat suit - comes in and molests you, dangles you off the room's balcony, and finally sticks you in a hyperbaric chamber for storage until he wishes to use you again.

You are utterly horrified, but the bass line is hypnotic and irresistable.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old August 26 2008, 12:48 AM   #12
Saul
Rear Admiral

Shame to see it go but good memories are kept.
Old August 26 2008, 01:27 AM   #13
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

rayjay wrote: View Post
I was in Vegas for the convention earlier this month. I heard (a rumor?) from two individuals at a local watering hole that the Hilton already has a plan in place on what's replacing the Experience.

According to them, it's going to be a performance space and themed Experience featuring the career of a high profile Entertainer. Said Entertainer has been signed to a contract to do shows for the next three years in the new space.

The person in question...?

Michael Jackson

Supposedly one of the owners/investors in the Hilton bailed him out when he had mortgage troubles with his Neverland Ranch. This is the payment in return for that help.

Take it FWIW.
Yeah, I read that the Jackson thing was a possibility.

Great....from warp drive to a pervert. Good move, Hilton.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old August 26 2008, 04:55 AM   #14
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
Michael Jackson: The Experience

Following a sidewalk that lights up square by square, along with everything you touch, you enter a world where everyone has rythym and crazy dance skills. Pursued through this space by very hip zombies and gang members who resolve their differences through interpretive "dance violence," you find your self in a "personal amusement park," but scaled up to make you feel the size of a child. You are lured by a charming little chimpanzee in people clothes into a regal bedroom where the walls are adorned by wood carvings depicting scenes from "Peter Pan." You climb atop a giant round bed with red velvet sheets and just as you are starting to doze off, a pixie-like man of uncertain ethnic extraction - in an enourmous fat suit - comes in and molests you, dangles you off the room's balcony, and finally sticks you in a hyperbaric chamber for storage until he wishes to use you again.

You are utterly horrified, but the bass line is hypnotic and irresistable.
Woof! I'm there. Screw you, Star Trek.
Old August 26 2008, 05:16 AM   #15
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

T'Cal wrote: View Post
If you've never gone, you don't belong on this site!!!
I wanted to go before it closed, but some things happened and I was unable.

Hoser, scratching pox.