Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2008, 11:26 PM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Is Joss Whedon's 'Ripper' still being made?

Anthony Stewart Head is currently starring in "The Invisibles," about a pair of over-the-hill bank robbers trying to survive their retirement years. It's a wonderful show and seems to be very popular, so I doubt he'll be doing anything else for awhile.
Old August 28 2008, 11:30 PM   #17
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I think the last I read was early in the year saying there may be some problem with the rights, this is the latest thing I could find.

TVWeek: Is there anything new with "Buffy" spinoff "Ripper"? [Whedon previously announced he’s trying to set up that show at the BBC.]
Whedon: There isn’t anything new. It might become too problematic. The rights issue with "Ripper" becomes complicated. There are other characters in the woods. We may have to do some fancy footwork. Obviously I’m committed to ["Dollhouse"], but that does not mean I’m not doing "Ripper."
Old August 28 2008, 11:32 PM   #18
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Anthony Stewart Head is currently starring in "The Invisibles," about a pair of over-the-hill bank robbers trying to survive their retirement years. It's a wonderful show and seems to be very popular, so I doubt he'll be doing anything else for awhile.
Actually The Invisibles ended a while ago, I believe the next thing he's in is Merlin, it starts this autumn on BBC and mid-season on NBC I think.
Old August 29 2008, 01:46 PM   #19
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Ethros wrote: View Post
^ Not SlayAlive.com by any chance?
No, literally "Buffy Boards", its the Buffy version of this place. Same board software, about the same size with as many or more members.
Old August 29 2008, 05:11 PM   #20
cultcross
Say my name...

Dream wrote: View Post
Duke Nukem Forever will be released before Ripper is made.
Ripper will feature a track from Chinese Democracy as it's theme tune
Old August 29 2008, 07:26 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

If you look fast, he also pops up briefly at the end of Woody Allen's "Scoop" as a police inspector.
Old August 30 2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Dark Gilligan
Writer

I hear Tony is making a series of coffee commercials. Oops, my bad, wrong decade.
Old August 30 2008, 06:20 AM   #23
grabmygoblin
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
If you look fast, he also pops up briefly at the end of Woody Allen's "Scoop" as a police inspector.
he's also in Sweeney Todd for a moment, which made me giggle far too much.

if no real action is made with a filmed version of Ripper within a couple years, I hope Whedon lets Dark Horse publish it as a graphic novel.
Old August 30 2008, 06:24 AM   #24
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Actually The Invisibles ended a while ago, I believe the next thing he's in is Merlin, it starts this autumn on BBC and mid-season on NBC I think.
So, "Invisibles" isn't getting a second season? That sucks!
Old August 30 2008, 09:38 AM   #25
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
So, "Invisibles" isn't getting a second season? That sucks!
Well there's been no word yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's been cancelled.
Old August 30 2008, 08:14 PM   #26
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

grabmygoblin wrote: View Post
he's also in Sweeney Todd for a moment, which made me giggle far too much.
I was watching that with a buddy, and I said "Dude, it's Giles." At which point he flipped out and had to run it back to confirm. We're both big Buffy fans.
Old August 31 2008, 03:14 AM   #27
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

I think Joss should pow wow with Russel Davies about a tie-in with Torchwood.

There's already a working relationship there (Head narrates "Dr Who Confidential among other things).

I figure the regular Torchwood folk are great at dealing with alien and technological threats, but are really out of their element when dealing with "occult" threats. My idea is they contact the Watchers for help during such a crisis, and Giles is assigned to them as a part-time consultant.

He'd guest star as needed, and this would let BBC test the waters, (and see how the character plays outside the Buffyverse) without first having to commit the money into tooling up for an entirely new series. Ideally, the character would prove popular enough that the Beeb would feel sufficiently reassured about the "Ripper" concept to give the character his own spin-off.
Old August 31 2008, 03:50 AM   #28
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
I think Joss should pow wow with Russel Davies about a tie-in with Torchwood.

There's already a working relationship there (Head narrates "Dr Who Confidential among other things).

I figure the regular Torchwood folk are great at dealing with alien and technological threats, but are really out of their element when dealing with "occult" threats. My idea is they contact the Watchers for help during such a crisis, and Giles is assigned to them as a part-time consultant.

He'd guest star as needed, and this would let BBC test the waters, (and see how the character plays outside the Buffyverse) without first having to commit the money into tooling up for an entirely new series. Ideally, the character would prove popular enough that the Beeb would feel sufficiently reassured about the "Ripper" concept to give the character his own spin-off.
That would be cool, but from what I remember aliens don't exist in the Buffyverse and magic (at least how it exists in the Buffyverse) doesn't exist in the Whoverse.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 05:11 AM   #29
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
That would be cool, but from what I remember aliens don't exist in the Buffyverse and magic (at least how it exists in the Buffyverse) doesn't exist in the Whoverse.
Giles didn't seem to have any problems with the notion of aliens in "Listening to Fear", even if it turned out to be a Queller demon.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old August 31 2008, 06:39 AM   #30
grabmygoblin
Commodore

I wouldn't want an official crossover, but a winkwink kind of one would be funny, where Giles shows up to help with a case as a paranormal expert, but his name is never actually given.