Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 8 2008, 05:39 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Where were you when...

Where were you when DS9 ended? Its been 10 years since the last season of DS9 started...It seems only like yesterday, but wow...

I was in the GULF region. I was stationed on a Carrier and my friend was sending me VHS tapes of DS9's final season. We made it back in time to see the final arc of the show...but now I' m retired and it all seems a lifetime ago..

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 05:55 PM   #2
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: Where were you when...

I was living where I live now. Nothing extraordinary about it.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 06:05 PM   #3
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

I was living in Devon patiently waiting for the VHS release!

The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
NKemp3
Commodore

Like PKTrekGirl I was living in the same place as I am now but I still vividly remember those final months (although technically its not ten years yet). I also recall that over a span of about five or six months Babylon 5, Homicide: Life on the Streets and Deep Space Nine all came to a close. Those were my three favorite series of the 90s and in fact during one year all three came on back-to-back-to-back on Friday nights in the Washington DC area. Losing all those characters from those three shows was almost like losing a slew of old friends.
Old September 8 2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Garth Rockett
Commodore

I was completing graduate school in a city that didn't carry DS9 (or VOY, for that matter) on any stations. I followed the end of the series through online reviews, and bought the novelization of What You Leave Behind. After school ended, I moved where I am now. One of the local stations was running DS9 five times a week, so I caught up on most of what I missed. Unfortunately, they kept skipping some episodes so there were some (including What You Leave Behind) I never got to see until Spike picked up the show.
Garth Rockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Jono
Rear Admiral

I was living 80km from where I live today. Not sure where I was exactly when the last episode aired but I remember where I was when I got my hands on the VHS. I was in Brisbane on summer holidays before I started year 12 and I went out bought it and just about watched it straight away when I got back to where I was staying. I'm pretty sure I skipped ahead several episodes from what was available at my local video store. Which thankfully started getting in the all the VHS from season 6 onwards. Prior to that it was a bit scattered in what was available.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 05:49 AM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

Middle School.
Old September 9 2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Lateralus
Commander

Pathetically enough, my life hasn't changed much aside from the fact that I'm not in high school anymore.
Old September 10 2008, 03:49 PM   #9
PhoenixIreland
Captain

At home after the last episode, sitting on the sofa thinking "what?....what the fuck was that?"
PhoenixIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I was watching it on TV at my parents' house. I was in high school at the time.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Krieg1981
Commodore

I was a senior in High School, and living in my hometown........Spokanistan, WA. I watched every episode as they came out religiously! I still mourn it's passing........

http://youtu.be/i6TqnVNa0VM
http://youtu.be/NzCukmO4fhg
Krieg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 02:52 AM   #12
LivingDeadGuy

I had finished 5th grade a month before the finale. I watched WYLB on TV and also taped it.

I still (somewhat) remember those kinda cool promos they would show during those last few episodes saying how DS9 was only X weeks away from the finale, and being excited and sad that it would soon be over.
Old September 11 2008, 05:28 AM   #13
Shintaek
Lieutenant Commander

7th grade. I saw the finale only a few months ago on Spike.
Shintaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 09:17 AM   #14
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

In the same city I am now.

That said, I spent the last of my money on the last few VHS tapes. I'm fairly sure I didn't get the bus home to try and justify the expense...
Old September 11 2008, 11:14 AM   #15
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I was home for Christmas and New Year during the semester break in my first semester at University. Two of my best friends with whom I always watched DS9 were also there.

Living in Germany, I always got the English VHS tapes from a small British video rental store that was near the British military airport near my home town. And at first, it seemed the final tape with the finale wouldn't arrive in time.

Fortunately, as it turned out, they got it at the last minute, and we were able to watch WYLB just before the year 2000. Had it come later, I don't know when we'd have been able to watch it together. So it was fantastic it turned out the way it did.

Watching it was fantastic and sad at the same time. It was hard to believe that seven years had passed so quickly, it seemed. And although I don't want to overstate the meaning of a TV show, on some level, it was almost like losing a friend who's been with you for a long time, if you know what I mean. That final pullback was really tough.