RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 457
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 26 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Photon
Commodore

What the heck were the Romulans thinking?

Risking war w/the Feds (and prolly the Klingons) to shutdown the wormhole over at PERCEIVED threat from the Dominion.

Were they THAT scared of the Dominion that they would do something THAT stupid.

Of course, the Carddies might have come into any fighting on the Romulans side from attacking a Bajoran station.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Fel
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What the heck were the Romulans thinking?

Better question what the heck were the writers thinking?
Old August 26 2008, 03:03 AM   #3
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I think it plays into the theme of the Romulans always being paranoid about various potential threats to their territory.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 03:55 AM   #4
msbae
Commodore

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I think it plays into the theme of the Romulans always being paranoid about various potential threats to their territory.
Bingo.

Also, Romulans aren't afraid of starting wars with anyone. They just don't do it as often as Klingons because they're more a practical people.
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Sheliak
Commodore

Photon wrote: View Post
Risking war w/the Feds (and prolly the Klingons) to shutdown the wormhole over at PERCEIVED threat from the Dominion.

Of course, the Carddies might have come into any fighting on the Romulans side from attacking a Bajoran station.
It makes perfect sense for the Romulans to collapse the wormhole by any means necessary.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Lateralus
Commander

The segue between Season 6 and 7 is the one hiccup for me in the latter half of the series, and it's specifically because of that whole Romulan debacle.

It just didn't make any sense. Even for a fictitious SciFi TV show.

It was interesting to watch, I suppose. But I shake my head at the events every time I see it. The aggressive moves on the part of the Romulans were even stupider than the things done by the Klingons while the Changling Martok was in place.
Old August 26 2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Photon
Commodore

Lateralus wrote: View Post
The segue between Season 6 and 7 is the one hiccup for me in the latter half of the series, and it's specifically because of that whole Romulan debacle.

It just didn't make any sense. Even for a fictitious SciFi TV show.

It was interesting to watch, I suppose. But I shake my head at the events every time I see it. The aggressive moves on the part of the Romulans were even stupider than the things done by the Klingons while the Changling Martok was in place.
Good call. Had forgotten about Martok. He had been in the Dom prison camp for 2 years, so who knows how long the Romulan changeling(s) were there
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I don't think it was that unusual for the Romulans to try and attempt to close the wormhole, based on watching how they act in general towards other threats. Look how they were prepared to start inserting clones of Federation officers as spies into Starfleet, despite the fact that the UFP hadn't made any aggressive moves towards the Romulan Empire in over a century.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Jono
Rear Admiral

Photon wrote: View Post

Are we talking about the episode where O'Brien skips through time and witnesses the station exploding? If we are, the Romulan plan was a good one and it was only the fact O'Brien was time jumping that stopped them from been successful.

They were right about the threat of the Dominion and in the end even Starfleet tried to close the wormhole for good.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Braxton
Fleet Captain

I want to know what they were thinking when they signed the non-aggression treaty with the Dominion.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Jono
Rear Admiral

Braxton wrote: View Post
I want to know what they were thinking when they signed the non-aggression treaty with the Dominion.
Probably just waiting to see what would happen, then jump in near the end on the winning side and grab some cheap territory. Or the old turn on everyone if they are sufficiently weakened and claim it all!

Plus they don't like the Federation or the Klingons that much so if someone wants to come in and beat the crap out of those two but will offer/accept an offer to leave you alone why not?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Deks
Rear Admiral

Why did the Dominion even sign the non-aggression treaty with the Romulans in the first place who attempted an extermination attack at the Founders prior to the war with the Cardassians?
Or at least their 'secret organizations' did.

The Cardassians I can understand why they signed an alliance with.
They were closer to the wormhole, relatively weak and gaining such a close foothold in the quadrant was of an advantage ...
They were usable ... but the Romulans who were rather stereotyped as treacherous ... who also attempted an attack at the Founders homeworld ... I dunno.

Then again it's possible they didn't want to seem suspicious in waging a war which was why they did it.
Old August 26 2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Lateralus
Commander

Deks wrote: View Post
Why did the Dominion even sign the non-aggression treaty with the Romulans in the first place who attempted an extermination attack at the Founders prior to the war with the Cardassians?
Or at least their 'secret organizations' did.

The Cardassians I can understand why they signed an alliance with.
They were closer to the wormhole, relatively weak and gaining such a close foothold in the quadrant was of an advantage ...
They were usable ... but the Romulans who were rather stereotyped as treacherous ... who also attempted an attack at the Founders homeworld ... I dunno.

Then again it's possible they didn't want to seem suspicious in waging a war which was why they did it.
It's all about strategy.

Nobody wants to be involved in three separate fronts at once during war. And the Dominion probably went for the Romulans because they figured the Romulans would be the most likely to go for it.

This was explained during In The Pale Moonlight.

I'm just wondering; How much of DS9 have you watched? Because I get the impression between this thread and the Borg thread that you've missed quite a bit.
Old August 26 2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Deks
Rear Admiral

Your impression is incorrect given the fact I've seen all of DS9.

I may not recall all of it to the finest details, but numerous parts stick out more than enough to know what I'm talking about in the Borg thread.
As for this one ... well, I have added that it's possible the Dominion did it because they didn't want to seem suspicious at starting a war.

Yes it was part of a strategy, but seriously from their display in the GQ, you'd think the Dominion would not be overly concerned about the AQ races such as the Romulans or even the Cardassians posing a threat whose shields were ineffective against the Dominion weapons.

Still ... they Dominion wanted to secure a foothold and instilled fear into the Romulans and Cardassians by eliminating their fleets in the initial attempt.

Last edited by Deks; August 26 2008 at 09:04 PM.
Deks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 11:41 PM   #15
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

Here's anther take. If you recall that during The Search, the group, which included a Romulan officer responsible to take care of the Cloaking device, were captured. During that time the Founders played out a scenario of how they might approach their conquest of the AQ which Sisko and the others thought was absolutely real. They found that the Romulans were the most belligerent and mistrustful of the AQ races, and deeply mistrustful of the Federation. They discovered that the Federation would be highly resistant to a treaty of any kind, while the Romulan officer was highly incensed and suspicious that they alone were left out of the negotiations. Since there was this schism already there waiting to be exploited, they deduced that the Romulans would be the easiest to separate them from the obvious adversaries they would face, and how.

Last edited by Apogeal Alpha01; August 26 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Apogeal Alpha01 is offline   Reply With Quote