TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2008, 09:36 PM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Chuck: not all that good

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
hutt359 wrote: View Post
I think all TV ran into problems this past year, because of the writers strike. I think that alot of writers started to phone it in while the negotiations were under way before the actual strike started.
Yeah. That's the way to keep your job. Not to mention the true meaning of the word "professional".
The Pushing Daisies writers sure weren't phoning it in. The Sarah Connor Chronicles was much better than I'd expected. Lost had its best season ever (and deserves another Emmy). And Heroes got back to its old form, more or less, towards the end of the season, when the strike presumably was inevitable.

As for Chuck, it sounds like they're adding more romance to the formula, presumably to attract the female audience because the ratings are marginal and the competition on Mondays will be fierce.
Sexing up Chuck could provide a bigger audience, but that could cut into the audience for Schwartz's CW series Gossip Girl, the sexed-up teen soap that happens to compete in the same Monday time slot as Chuck.
Bwagh, they're going after the Gossip Girl audience!!! I'd prefer more interaction between Chuck and Casey, and more plot arc for them.

Seriously, is anybody interested in exploring this romantic relationship? Isn't it a prime example of the boringness of Unresolved Sexual Tension(TM), the most trite and overused of TV cliches? Or will they become a couple and then we get to observe their domestic bliss/fighting/etc?

I'm happy to have Sarah left flouncing around in sexy outfits in the background for the guys to look at. Not interested in her smootching Chuck and then fighting because he didn't bring her flowers or whatever it is they have in mind. And here I was thinking I might start liking this show.

Oh well, I'll switch over to Prison Break instead. T-Bag's da MAN!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 10:30 PM   #32
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
A lighthearted episodic show full of attractive people and fairly sharp writing that tweaks the spy and geek genres? Fine by me.
That said it better than I could have.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
As for Chuck, it sounds like they're adding more romance to the formula, presumably to attract the female audience because the ratings are marginal and the competition on Mondays will be fierce.
Sexing up Chuck could provide a bigger audience, but that could cut into the audience for Schwartz's CW series Gossip Girl, the sexed-up teen soap that happens to compete in the same Monday time slot as Chuck.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. If I wanted to watch teen soaps, I'd watch them. I don't want the sex. I want the heart. So far, Chuck has done that quite well. Stay with what works! The campy action stuff sells as well as it does because of the genuineness they've pumped into the supporting characters. Chuck's endearing quality of loveable geek suddenly plunged into his fantasy life and finding it not only scarier than he expected, but also a threat to his family - THAT is what sells the show for me. The Sarah/Chuck thing is okay in small doses, but really, I think Sarah is the least interesting character on the show, with the possibility of Bryce giving her a run for her money.

And as a total aside, I'm not fond of Morgan's new haircut. I'd grown to kinda love his shapeless mop from the first season.
Old August 27 2008, 07:48 PM   #33
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Seriously, is anybody interested in exploring this romantic relationship? Isn't it a prime example of the boringness of Unresolved Sexual Tension(TM), the most trite and overused of TV cliches? Or will they become a couple and then we get to observe their domestic bliss/fighting/etc?
Yeah. In fairness it's an element I think of every show going... it's just some play it less than others. Chuck plays it very overtly. Then when the lovely Rachel Bilson turned up I thought it could make things more interesting, but she had "arc" written all over her. I could almost see the press release on the futoncritic saying how she'll be there for three episodes, and then they write the show like they know she'll be there for three episodes. It all feels way too constructed.

I like to see some people hate his sister too here, I keep looking at her thinking "Why didn't they recast you"?

One more thing I didn't grumble at... Chuck himself. They won't get someone truly geeky and ugly in there as he won't have lead man appeal. So once again they get a hot guy, and make him give a few references to Star Wars or comics, then he's a "geek". Schwartz did on the OC too with Seth. In fact Seth looks a lot like Chuck...

One final sidenote for those that don't know and like trivia... Bonita Friedericy (General Beckman) is the wife of John 'Phlox' Billngsley.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 07:53 PM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hey, you gotta love any show in which the characters dress up as a sandworm from DUNE!

I just wish they'd give Tony Todd more to do . . . .
Old August 27 2008, 07:59 PM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Hey, you gotta love any show in which the characters dress up as a sandworm from DUNE!

What episode is this? I'd like to see that.
Old August 27 2008, 09:45 PM   #36
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post

Me too, I'll get that ep on DVD.
Old August 27 2008, 10:30 PM   #37
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post

"Chuck Versus the Sandworm" episode 1x06.

The "will they, won't they" is okay with me when it's kept in balance, as it seems to be on this show. Yeah, it's used in just about every series out there because it's a relatable story element. Like, say, the weather, or "what am I going to have for dinner?" Most everyone can relate to the whole "does s/he like me?" romantisexual tension stuff.

Everything is a cliche on this show (nebbish reluctant hero, goofy sidekick, humorless straight-arrow) just like most of the other programs on TV. However, just as any two chefs can buy the same ingredients, it's how they prepare them that makes the difference. These folks serve up a reasonably tasty meal.

(Please note that I refrained from using a "Wienerlicious" joke in the above analogy.)
Old August 28 2008, 01:12 AM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Everything is a cliche on this show (nebbish reluctant hero, goofy sidekick, humorless straight-arrow) just like most of the other programs on TV.
The shows I like (Dexter, Lost, Pushing Daisies, BSG) either avoid cliches or subvert them, so just saying that "everything on TV is crap anyway" really isn't much of an argument.

But I'll check out the Sandworm ep, thanks!
Old August 28 2008, 04:08 AM   #39
Technobuilder
Commodore

I bailed after the premiere. In fact, I don't think I made it to the end of the premiere.

But then I saw a couple episodes later in the season, and I'll give it another shot this fall. Zach Levi and Adam Baldwin have settled into a fun chemistry. The other characters all bore me, and the premise is still pretty thin, and there's the problem that Chuck will be on Mondays along with about half the shows I want to watch each week (wassup with that? ) but that's why God made VCRs for DVR-deprived cheapskates like me.

If they don't do something to make "Chuck" progress along a storyline, then it's doomed.
If the show keeps stalling in S2, I'm bailing again. My interest is predicated on the notion that the story will go somewhere.
^Pretty much what you said. Didn't like the first ep, saw a few later that the roommate was watching that might go somewhere... I'll give it another go this fall. If nothing happens, I'm gone.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 04:14 AM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

^It was only the first season with a lot of standalone episodes, which is pretty standard for most shows. Not to mention that the season was cut short by the strike.

I have a feeling that the big storyline will move along more this season.
Old August 28 2008, 09:30 AM   #41
Technobuilder
Commodore

^Granted, but I'm already too forgiving when it comes to a lot of shows so when I'm having to come up with reasons to stick around... It's time to go.

Hopefully that won't be the case here.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 09:30 AM   #42
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Hollywood Reporter

NBC has given a back-nine order to its drama series "Chuck," just over a month before the show's second-season premiere.

"Chuck," which returns at 8 p.m. Sept. 29, had a solid but abbreviated first season because of the writers strike. It's understood that NBC executives have been impressed with what they've seen from the first six episodes of the show's second-season order and decided to hand out an early full-season pickup.

"We couldn't be more excited with the creative direction Josh (Schwartz) and his team are executing on 'Chuck,' " NBC Entertainment executive vp Teri Weinberg said. "This show has really hit its stride and deserves a full-season commitment to carry out the producers' vision for this unique series."
Old August 28 2008, 09:32 AM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
^Granted, but I'm already too forgiving when it comes to a lot of shows so when I'm having to come up with reasons to stick around... It's time to go.
Well, I was having fun with it from the very beginning, so I don't need a reason to come back.

Bring on the new season!
Old August 28 2008, 10:17 AM   #44
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

Ahhh, more Yvonne!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 10:47 AM   #45
BigFoot