Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2008, 02:00 PM   #1
TedShatner10
Commodore

Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

It seems that Sony in recent years has built up a reputation of not being very nice nor very bright, even by corporate standards, with them spectacularly shooting themselves in their collective foots over copyright protection, not really caring about the consumers, and lacking common business sense.

They alienated the gaming community by shutting down the somewhat dubious (yet hugely popular) Lik-Sang business, they pissed millions of loyal consumers off with their defective rootkit programs on CDs or DVDs (screwing over people into downloading music anyway), pulled off marketing blunders too numerous to list here (pissing off the Church of England in one case), kinda of ruined the PS3 by using it to pimp their BluRay gimmick (the tallest dwarf in comparison to HD-DVD), the PSP is pretty so-so as a portable games console, and then they are too miserly to publish classic TV shows on DVD (another way of encouraging the very piracy they're clumsily clamping down on).

What happened? Did their blinding success in the 80s, 90s and early 00s made them overweeningly arrogant? The company got too big to manage properly, with too many branches and subsidiaries competing against each other without strong leadership pulling them back and giving them a coherent game plan?
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

While we're Sony bashing...just personally, they've gone down in my estimation in regard to their cameras and DVD players. At one time, they were considered one of the highest quality companies (I remember some skits on SNL with a dodgy clerk trying to sell some other manufacturer's unit by claiming it had "...Sony guts, Sony guts..."), but after buying a number of their cameras and DVD players and watching them malfunction and/or die, I swore never to buy any of their products again.

I wouldn't be the only one who made that decision.
Old August 10 2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Rii
Rear Admiral

"One of Sony's fundamental weaknesses is that there's one element of the company that thinks we're a hardware company and one element that thinks we're a software company and sometimes the two don't meet." - Jack Tretton.

That said, most of the examples you cite are of questionable merit. Most of the so-called "gaming community" hasn't even heard of Lik Sang.

Last edited by Rii; August 10 2008 at 04:22 PM.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
pissing off the Church of England in one case
Resitance Fall Of Man?!?
Ehm, they had nothing to do with that...
Insomniac is AFAIK not owned by Sony...

and then they are too miserly to publish classic TV shows on DVD (another way of encouraging the very piracy they're clumsily clamping down on).
Probably copyright issues, especially when it comes to music...
And they aren't the only company who has that problem...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
pissing off the Church of England in one case
Resitance Fall Of Man?!?
Ehm, they had nothing to do with that...
Insomniac is AFAIK not owned by Sony...
Resistance was published by Sony, so they were indeed involved in the "controversy."
Old August 10 2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Gaius Baltar
Commander

While i agree the PS3 had a disappointing launch Sony have continued to improve the system providing regular firmware updates to the system introducing new features such as divx video support and in game XMB. Also the lack of games is no longer such an issue with the release of exclusive titles such as metal gear solid and GT5 prologue along with the wide selection of cross platform titles such as GTA4 and COD4. Also Sony provides free online play unlike Microsoft. Sony build quality is still better than most of their competitors i mean compare the failure rate of the PS3 with Microsoft’s 360 failure rate due to the ring of death overheating problem.

Also the PSP has been outperforming the Nintendo DS Lite in the first part of this year due to the release of games such as god of war and final fantasy crisis core. Considering the monopoly Nintendo had on the handheld gaming market before the release of the PSP then it has to be seen has a success rather than a failure.
Gaius Baltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Brolan
Commodore

Arrogance is what I would call it. They started to believe they were the kings of all the industries (film, electronics, gaming) they were in and they could do no wrong.

This was best displayed by their comments on the pricing of the PS3. Basicly saying gamers would buy it regardless of the price put on it. Well Nintendo schooled them hard in the art of setting a price point.

The wheels were falling off the PS3 wagon even at launch when most people waiting in line wanted to sell the unit on ebay, not play PS3 games. I haven't checked lately but PS3 sales were far behind the 360 and even further behind the Wii.

But in one regard the PS3 was successful. It helped Blu-ray win the format war. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Microsoft put HD-DVD in the 360?
Old August 10 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

Broland...Microsoft DID put a HD DVD player for the 360. It was an addon but they were supporting it.
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Brolan
Commodore

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
Broland...Microsoft DID put a HD DVD player for the 360. It was an addon but they were supporting it.
I know about that unit. I was talking about making the main drive HD-DVD capable from the start.
Old August 11 2008, 03:57 AM   #10
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Gaius Baltar wrote: View Post
Also the PSP has been outperforming the Nintendo DS Lite in the first part of this year due to the release of games such as god of war and final fantasy crisis core. Considering the monopoly Nintendo had on the handheld gaming market before the release of the PSP then it has to be seen has a success rather than a failure.
In Japan the hardware has been outselling the DS this year, but not in the US, where the only real competion the it has on the montly charts for the number 1 spot is the Wii.
Nintendo has moved twice as many DS units in Japan then Sony has moved PSPs, and with Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest 9 coming to the DS Nintendo has absoultly nothing to worry about.

Plus, you almost never see PSP games actually selling well (I'm sure there are many reasons for this, but I believe a major reason is the ease of piracy, it almost seems to be a PC game like problem), while all kinds of DS games sell extreamly well (and on average DS games are going to have lower development costs) not only in the first month or two of release, but for many months.

I wouldn't call the PSP a success, but I wouldn't call it a failure either. It's somewhere inbetween.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 06:36 AM   #11
BigFoot
Admiral

Sony does have a different way when it comes to doing certain things. But I have to admit that I still most likely them (much more then Microsoft). But then, I absolutely love both my PS3 and my 46" Full HD Sony Bravia.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 07:51 AM   #12
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I don't care much about Sony's hardware (as long as it's reliable) but their software division (first party, second party) is dear to me. I appreciate the blend of sophistication, experimentation and polish they infuse in a lot of their titles, and they seem willing to try a lot of things with software neither Ninty nor MS are inclined to. MS has definitely shown some signs of growth in this area though, Braid and Alan Wake are, I think examples of this.

That said, Sony really did fumble at the start of this generation, it's pretty obvious the PS3 launched at least 2-3 years before they would have liked and their arrogance didn't help matters. Their fall actually helped them though, it's important for corporations to get a reminder every once in a while that they're still beholden to the consumer.
Old August 11 2008, 10:30 AM   #13
MilitaryCoo
Captain

Sony has, for a long time, produced overpriced rubbish with so many different proprietary connectors, non-standard accessories, and queer specifications* that they're beyond a joke.

*3.72 volts at 615mA? wtf is that?
Old August 11 2008, 12:02 PM   #14
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

dragunzng wrote: View Post
I don't care much about Sony's hardware (as long as it's reliable) but their software division (first party, second party) is dear to me. I appreciate the blend of sophistication, experimentation and polish they infuse in a lot of their titles, and they seem willing to try a lot of things with software neither Ninty nor MS are inclined to. MS has definitely shown some signs of growth in this area though, Braid and Alan Wake are, I think examples of this.
Yup. I'm of the opinion that Sony's first-party work is superior to anybody else's - except perhaps Sega's during their days as a platform holder.
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 02:41 PM   #15
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Sony makes shit products, always have but now people are finally starting to realize it.