MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old October 8 2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Dayton3
Admiral

How Fast Could "All Good Things" Enterprise Go?

The fastest the Enterprise in ST:TNG ever went was Warp 9.65 during "Q-Who"- though the ship was still accelerating and probably ended up in the Warp 9.8 range.

In "All Good Things", the three engined Enterprise-D was apparently capable of Warp 13 as that is the speed Admiral Riker ordered after the battle with the Klingons.

So presumably that was quite fast.

But.

The U.S.S Pasteur was capable of Warp 13 as well. Captain Crusher ordered that speed when leaving for the area near the anomaly.

And the Pasteur didn't look like it was a real speed burner.

So how fast could the Enterprise-D go in all likelihood?
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
TheRealNaveed
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealNaveed
Re: How Fast Could "All Good Things" Enterprise Go?

Considering Voyager's Warp 10 limit, I think it's safe to assume that Star-Fleet adopted a new warp scale. Saying "Warp 13" as opposed to "Warp 9.956" is probably easier all-around.
TheRealNaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

Weally Weally Fast...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
msbae
Commodore

It doesn't matter. That Anti-time future never really happened.
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Dayton3
Admiral

msbae wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter. That Anti-time future never really happened.
Actually a number of things present in the anti time future were later seen in the "real" timeline.

For example, later examples of Galaxy class starships had the added phaser banks on top of the engine nacelles like the Enterprise D did.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral

And a couple of other portrayals of "future" in DS9 or VOY used the same uniforms and other trivial features of "AGT..". So why not the probably equally trivial change of warp scale?

My pet theory is that the TOS scale was mankind's (and the general neighborhood's) first clumsy attempt at understanding the natural laws that make certain "sweet spots" preferable to the speeds in between. TOS engineers, with their coarse understanding based on coarsely tuned engines, believed that the "sweet spots" fell on speeds that were lightspeed times the cube of the warp factor (as old trek fandom sources claim), or some other such formula (as would probably be preferable). They also assumed that there would be an infinite number of "sweet spots".

But that wasn't quite correct, and by TNG, engineers had realized that nature had arranged warp so that there were just nine "sweet spots" within their grasp, and that they didn't quite exactly follow the cubed formula (or whatever), but required a slightly retuned formula where each TNG warp factor actually was faster than the TOS approximations.

Now that was more or less correct - but the TNG folks didn't realize that after those nine "sweet spots", there were more, at higher speeds unattainable by TNG era engines. By the end of the 24th century, the first of these had become the new Warp 10, the second had become Warp 11, and so forth...

So yes, the revamped E-D and the Pasteur would each be faster than the TNG-era E-D at her best. Which sounds rather logical if we assume that the Voyager brought secrets of superfast drive systems to Earth in that future as well. Apparently, in the late 24th century, silly Nova class tubs and even shuttlecraft can outperform the best TNG era starships, as per the VOY finale.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

TheRealNaveed wrote: View Post
Considering Voyager's Warp 10 limit, I think it's safe to assume that Star-Fleet adopted a new warp scale. Saying "Warp 13" as opposed to "Warp 9.956" is probably easier all-around.
Agreed.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Undead wrote: View Post
TheRealNaveed wrote: View Post
Agreed.
Thirded. I'm no mathematician but I like to think that they recalibrated it so warp 10-15 or so fit between warp nine and infinity, given how sharp the parabolic warp curve climbs in that vicinity. And I agree with Timo's scheme of how it probably happened.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 06:05 AM   #9
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Of course, the real reason behind the "warp 13" citation was that Braga was giving us Trek Tech afficionados the finger by throwing in a detail that apparently flew in the face of what had already been established.

What he didn't count on was that we've been working around bigger contradictions than that since before the original show went into syndication.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

The TNG warp scale was inneficient by the time of Voyager anyways. "We've gone to warp 9.986591919!!"

Jeeze, might as well start using a new freakin scale. I'd be pissed if the speedometer was like that on my car.
Old October 9 2008, 09:22 AM   #11
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Hurt-imer Jitty wrote: View Post
The TNG warp scale was inneficient by the time of Voyager anyways. "We've gone to warp 9.986591919!!"

Jeeze, might as well start using a new freakin scale. I'd be pissed if the speedometer was like that on my car.
It is perfectly logical from that POV. It seems an increasing proportion of Starfleet was regularly travelling at warp 9.975 or equally silly and difficult to understand speeds, hence the use of "maximum warp" a great little phrase which just seems to mean "push the throttle wide open".

A re-calibration along these lines and those Timo suggested makes a lot of sense.
Old October 9 2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

It was either that, or adopt the Spaceballs scale and call it Ludicrous Speed...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 10:36 PM   #13
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I never did see why warp 9.99... is better dramatically than warp 13?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 12:22 AM   #14
SoM
Commander

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I never did see why warp 9.99... is better dramatically than warp 13?
Dramatically, it's not. It was an attempt to stop the writers constantly one-upping the speeds of ships - even if Warp 9.75 is a *lot* faster than Warp 9.5, it doesn't *sound* a lot faster, hence it's less tempting to do that than if they can just +1 the speed the last writer used.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 07:03 AM   #15
shipfisher
Commander

I agree with the whole verbal shorthand for warp 9.99999... thing. You could get plugged by the local bad eggs while your helmsman waited for you to spit that lot out, however just to stir the pot, could transwarp/slipstream factors be in use 25 years from TNG? Might be easier to have a common scale, with twp/slpstrm starting at warp 10 - not as likely as the verbal shorthand for multi-decimal place warp 9+ factors, but still a small possibility.

A likely speed scale for the "verbal shorthand" scenario is the imposition of the sub-warp 9 10/3 warp factor exponent over the "true" warp 9.999..whatever, making warp 13 about 5166c.

Last edited by shipfisher; October 10 2008 at 11:08 AM.
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote