May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 20 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
pimp
Commander

Enterprise question

Hello there

I just wanted to know exactly which enterprise ship was the first one. Was Captain Kirk the first captain to command the first Enterprise ship?? OR was Captain Archer the first captain to command the first Enterprise?? so which Enterprise came first and where do these two captains fit in the story of the Federation???

Sorry people but i should have placed this post in Enterprise section and not TNG can someone move it please???

Last edited by pimp; August 20 2008 at 02:59 PM.
pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 03:19 PM   #2
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Enterprise question

The Enterprise of TNG (NCC-1701-D) is the fifth starship of the Starfleet of the United Federation of Planets to bear the name "Enterprise." The first such ship was the Constitution-class USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 -- Kirk's ship -- launched in 2245.

Archer commanded an Enterprise of the Starfleet of Earth. This ship, NX-01, was launched in 2151.
Old August 20 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Which is why NX-01 is left out of the Federation system and why the Enterprise-D is really not the NCC-01-E.

There was also no Federation Starship Enterprise (in canon) between the time the Federation was founded and the launch of Kirk's Enterprise.
Old August 20 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
pimp
Commander

Ah ok thank you for the info, can you please tell me what is the latest Enterprise??

is it Enterprise E???
Old August 20 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

pimp wrote: View Post
Ah ok thank you for the info, can you please tell me what is the latest Enterprise??

is it Enterprise E???
Yes the Enterprise E is the newest Enterprise seen in the TNG movies First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

nx1701g wrote: View Post
There was also no Federation Starship Enterprise (in canon) between the time the Federation was founded and the launch of Kirk's Enterprise.
So canon simply ignores what it doesn't like?

Interesting. I always knew it was daft but not that daft.
Old August 20 2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Pendragon
Lieutenant Commander

...and to follow Roddenberry's canon, Robert April was the first Captain of the 1701 Connie Class Enterprise followed by Pike then Kirk.

Long story short, when Roddenberry was developing the series, he named the Enterprise's Captain Robert April, then changed it to Christopher Pike when the 1st pilot was shot and finally changed it to James Tiberius Kirk when the series was picked up by NBC. (James R Kirk was on the gravestone in "Where No Man Has Gone Before..." in the first season).

Since then, Robert April has appeared in Star Trek: The Animated Series as well as Pike having been seen in "The Menagerie".
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 05:20 PM   #8
nx1701g
Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post

Canon is a very tricky thing. Officially though there is nothing on screen to suggest that there was a ship between the NX-01 and the NCC-1701 that carried the name Enterprise. Surprisingly the novels don't even comment if there was one (but that would still be noncanon).
Old August 20 2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

pimp wrote: View Post
Sorry people but i should have placed this post in Enterprise section and not TNG can someone move it please???
Seems more like general trek rather than show specific, so I'll send it there.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post

Not ignored. The NX-01 would have been an aging Earth Starfleet ship by the time the Articles of Federation were signed, with more advanced ships being built for the newly re-constituted UFP Starfleet. So no Enterprise at that time. Then, when the Federation had grown large enough to sustain a fleet of Connies, the name was ressurected and we got the NCC-1701.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 01:50 AM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mistral wrote: View Post
Then, when the Federation had grown large enough to sustain a fleet of Connies, the name was ressurected and we got the NCC-1701.
That reminds me...I wonder if there has ever been an explanation given as to why so much time passed between the destruction of the Enterprise-C and the construction of the D (which wasn't launched until 20 years later).

Was the Galaxy class already on the books in 2344, and thus did Starfleet intentionally hold up the re-use of the name Enterprise until a ship of this new class could be given that name? Or was it simply a remembrance, a tribute to the loss of the C's crew?
Old August 22 2008, 04:35 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There could be any number of ships named Enterprise between the NX-01 and the NCC-1701. They just weren't Starfleet ships.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 07:12 AM   #13
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
The first such ship was the Constitution-class USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 -- Kirk's ship -- launched in 2245.
Sorry to bring this up, but the dedication plaque states the "E" is Starship Class. This is kinda like the green/gold debate, but not as intense.
Old August 22 2008, 07:36 AM   #14
Timo
Admiral

That reminds me...I wonder if there has ever been an explanation given as to why so much time passed between the destruction of the Enterprise-C and the construction of the D (which wasn't launched until 20 years later).
Sounds perfectly natural to me. The E-C was lost with all hands; a successor for that ship was immediately built and launched, but Starfleet named it Robespierre or Infatiguable or something because obviously the name Enterprise was jinxed.

Really, when a ship is lost, there are two opposing practices in the navies of our planet: either another ship is immediately given the same name in order to pretend that it's business as usual, nothing to see here, move on - or then the name is retired for the time being because it's such an ill omen to sail on a ship that has already sunk.

USN was quick to field for example a second Yorktown, Lexington and Juneau during WWII to "cover" the losses. However, after the war there was no effort to give any ship the ill-fated names Intrepid or Indianapolis, and indeed the name Intrepid still seems to remain on a blacklist of some sort.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Nemesis
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nemesis

a few points I want to add...

A. De defiant was a NX class. This stands for the first ship in a new class. The name of this class was the Defiant class. So I presume de Enterprise NX-01 is propably the first ship of the Enterprise class. Most likely is that also the reason that no other ship had the name Enterprise, because you had a fleet full of Enterprise class ships.

B. In season 3 of Enterprise the Enterprise-J is mentioned. So that would be the last Enterprise in a row of NCC-1701's.

"Gods don't make mistakes. Though, sometimes i think it will be nice to be able to carry a tune"
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote