Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 23 2008, 09:56 PM   #31
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Re: Kevin Smith Hints that Trek-XI is "Phenomenal"

Smith says the same things that are said here and in the Talk Backs, but like I said, he gets to do it on the radio where websites pick it up and report it as news.

Neil
Old August 23 2008, 11:02 PM   #32
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, that's only fair. What's the problem?
Old August 23 2008, 11:35 PM   #33
TroubledTribble
Ensign

Location: My body resides in Texas, my spirit on the seas of the universe.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Kevin Smith (Sort of) Reviews Star Trek

August 22, 2008
by Anthony Pascale

TrekMovie previously reported that JJ Abrams has completed a first rough cut of his Star Trek movie and now it appears that he is showing it off. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back director Kevin Smith was a guest on KROQ’s Kevin and Bean show this morning and the subject of the new Star Trek movie came up with Smith giving a review of a movie in a roundabout way.

Smith: I saw a movie last night that I cannot talk about.

Host: Was it good?

Smith: It was phenomenal.

Host: Any stars, any break out stars, and do they trek?

Smith: The stars absolutely trek in this film. It is fantastic. Anybody who was worried doesn’t need to be worried–about this film I cannot talk about…It was in very capable hands. The director did a phenomenal job–the director and his crew. Top notch cast and the guy that plays the lead is an instant star. That dude is going to be so famous. He is so wonderful. He picked up a role that I would say is pretty challenging for someone to step into the shoes of, because it is a role that has been played before many times by the same guy.

Full Article in Link and Link to Audio Recording of the Interview

Even though he couldn't say anything detailed, it's still good to hear that he liked it so much.

If the buzz is any indicator, this movie's going to make some huge bank.
__________________________________________________ ____
This is a copy of Simon Peggs with AICN.

Pegg also said that he has seen some of Star Trek:
I’ve seen a little bit and I was screaming. I had my hand over my mouth “Oh my God!” It’s so good. I just think it’s going to be huge.

__________________________________________________ ____

Simon also got to see it. He seemed very astounded at what JJ and Company have accomplished. Kevin Smith and Simon Pegg are cut from the same clothe as Writer/Director/Actors go. They know the ins and outs of the business. For them to marvel at a movie that is still quite unfinished, JJ said last week that only 50 of the 1000+ sfx had been finished, shine the bight light of HOPE on this movie.

Last edited by TroubledTribble; August 23 2008 at 11:41 PM.
TroubledTribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 11:48 PM   #34
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Well, I'm going to take Pegg's assessment with a grain of salt, since he DOES have a vested intertest in the film doing well at the box office. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't believe him...I just don't "necessarily" believe him.

Having said that, Pegg's words do give me a reason to be (guardedly) excited, because I trust his taste in film entertainment (I think his work in Spaced was pure genius).

I do hope he wasn't just "spouting the party line" and rather was genuinely psyched about the film.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 11:51 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Smith says the same things that are said here and in the Talk Backs, but like I said, he gets to do it on the radio where websites pick it up and report it as news.
Uh-huh.

Why do you suppose he "gets to do it" in public forums where he has an audience?

Well...see, people are interested in the informed opinions of people whose accomplishments have brought them public notice (I'm not interested in whether you like his films or not; notably, his lifestyle and celebrity - such as it is - are not based on him chasing after an audience and paying them to acknowledge him, but on people paying for the privilege of watching his films. Their opinions of Smith therefore matter).

More than that, people are interested in the experiences of such people.

Now there's a reason that today Smith has "exposure" for his opinion of the next Trek film, and you and I are just posting our opinions without anyone giving a damn.

Can you guess what that is?

Well...he's seen the film, and you and I haven't. Duh.

Wonder how he got to see the film? Guess he won some kind of fan lottery, huh?

Or maybe he did something that's created such opportunities for him.

One more time: his opinion of the Trek movie is interesting to more people than yours or mine because unlike us he knows what he's talking about and we're just guessing and reading tea leaves. He's not sharing his opinion for the fun of trying to show off that he has one; he's sharing his experience.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 05:42 AM   #36
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

I don't know much about Kevin Smith, and I've never seen his films, but he also thinks Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television. I think we need to listen to this guy!
Bad Atom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 07:08 AM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Not very nice, Pegg is in the movie and only gets to see a little bit and Kevin Smith has seen the whole thing.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 07:31 AM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Not very nice, Pegg is in the movie and only gets to see a little bit and Kevin Smith has seen the whole thing.

Of course! Now JJ is playing favourites!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 08:01 AM   #39
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

So are we saying this movie may actually break the odd/even curse Star Trek films in the past have given us?
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 08:12 AM   #40
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Only if you buy into that in the first place.

One of my personal favourite Trek films is TMP. One of the ones I personally don't like very much is STIV. And even though I quite like parts of STVI, I find it mostly overated junk. From my perspective some of the odd numbered films are some of the better ones..

I'll give you STV though - that was truely awful, though some people still like it.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 10:35 AM   #41
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
So are we saying this movie may actually break the odd/even curse Star Trek films in the past have given us?
Didn't Nemesis already do that? Maybe now it's "odd = good, even = bad."
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 04:09 PM   #42
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
Only if you buy into that in the first place.

One of my personal favourite Trek films is TMP. One of the ones I personally don't like very much is STIV. And even though I quite like parts of STVI, I find it mostly overated junk. From my perspective some of the odd numbered films are some of the better ones..

I'll give you STV though - that was truely awful, though some people still like it.
Indeed--in my book, only TMP and TWoK are truly good films. The rest vary from "meh" (TSFS, TUC, FC) to "feh" (all that remain, including TVH, which I hated at 16 and hate just as much at 38.

As to the topic at hand, I despise the movies of Kevin Smith but I can't really fault his taste in geek entertaiments. (The poster who pointed out that he praised Daredevil has to take into account that he was in it--that compromises objectivity; what Pegg says about this movie is likewise suspect.) If Smith says it is phenomenal, that means it probably does not suck.

Last edited by Brutal Strudel; August 24 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 08:13 PM   #43
Borgminister

Isn't this the guy that praised the Daredevil movie in advance?
I liked Daredevil.
NuBSG isn't my cup of tea, but it is critically acclaimed and has a fiercely loyal fan base, so those two things taken together make his opinion worth considering.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 08:56 PM   #44
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
This is exciting. I trust Kevin Smith's opinion, but then again I trust Leonard Nimoy's even more and I've been excited ever since he said, "this is going to be a great movie and I don't say that lightly."
Frankly, I don't trust anything an actor says about a movie that actor is in. They have a vested interest in how well the movie does and are a part of the movies' promotion machine.

As others have pointed out, Smith could have remained silent about the movie. But from reading the interview it sounded to me like the little Star Trek faux discussion was set up in advance -- like he wanted to talk about it and told the show's hosts so they would lead him into it.

I may or may not agree with Smith after seeing the movie myself, but for now, I consider him as objective and informed an opinion on the movie as is currently out there. And because his opinion is positive, I'm kinda geeked.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:26 PM   #45
Zeppster
Commodore

Kevin Smith is the worst kind of fanboy: the kind with exposure. Plus, he's not going to come out and say anything bad. It's just not cool to bad mouth a movie made by your peers. Isn't this the guy that praised the Daredevil movie in advance?

Neil
Kevin Smith is honest. He'll say when shit stinks bad. He even rips all of his own movies at any chance because he knows what type of movies they are. He praised Daredevil but he also had one of his best friends in that movie.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote