Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 23 2008, 02:34 AM   #76
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its offcial

Supervisor 194 wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm fine with a reboot, if that's how they want to do it--but it's already off to a bad start with this "dark" shit. It won't be a definitive Superman film...it'll be Superman trying to imitate Batman--the disaster that we narrowly averted with Burton all over again.
Calling Nick Cage, calling Nick Cage...

And if he's not available, Sean Penn and his 'dark, murderous' take on the character will be sure to please.

Seriously, the thing I'm most afraid of is that the execs are looking at SR as already giving the fans a 'traditional Superman', and since that didn't do quite the expected box office they'll move away from all the things that make Superman...well, Superman.

WB execs are not going to be versed in the mostly subtle changes from one version of Superman to another (say, John Byrne to George Reeeves to Geoff Johns to Richard Donner, etc). The corporate mentality in things of this nature is to try to replicate "what works"--in this case it'll be the Dark Knight--so say hello to dark brooding Superman.
It's hard to believe that even Jon Peters said that all the failed attempts didn't have the heart that Superman Returns had.

I mean cmon life suit superman, FBI agent Luthor whose actually a Kryptonian.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 02:36 AM   #77
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

I liked Returns, I didn't think it was great but I was eager to see where Singer went next with his Wrath of Khan sequel. I already thought Returns had moody tones. Superman didn't even smile at the end of the movie. I hope Routh comes back at least, and Spacy.

No origin story though. Donner did that best and origin stories have already been done many times between the animation and TV series. I don't want 40 minutes of the movie to be origin.
Old August 23 2008, 02:48 AM   #78
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Warners hired those guys to make Watchmen and approved their approach. Credit where it's due.
And they've had how many commercially and creatively successful super-hero films in a decade or so prior to TDK...? Everyone was already saying that WB had no clue what to do with their super-hero properties...the new directive just clinches it. Once in awhile, somebody's going to slip past these jokers and actually make a decent movie...I hope Watchmen is one of them. If WB doesn't manage to screw it up, it won't have been for lack of trying.
Old August 23 2008, 03:19 AM   #79
Galactus
Rear Admiral

When will everyone get that not everyone knows or cares about the long history of Superman? Anybody that reads comics should be used to infinite versions of Superman, Batman and all the other characters. An origin story is the key to the superhero formula, as ever single wildly successful super hero franchise has done. SR broke that tread and crashed for it. When you sit down and think about the actual target demo for going to the movies, they most were not even born when Superman the Movie came out, were kids when Lois and Clark was on, and probably didn't watch STAS or JL, and based on ratings probably aren't watching Smallville either.

So I just hope DC really does just start over from scratch with Batman as their beginning. I also hope that they update everyones costume ala Batman and make it make sense and be realistic, beginning with Supes and especially for Wonder Woman.

Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam is still in development as far as I know.
So Marvel is never giving going to let DC use Captain Marvel again huh. It is a shame since that have squandered the name and their Captain Marvel is forgettable to say the least.
Old August 23 2008, 03:32 AM   #80
ancient
Vice Admiral

My thoughts were always that this might happen, and that it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind a superman that doesn't look like the Donner version, as long as it was faithful to at least some part of the comic version and was still unmistakably Supes.

I think they could stand to make Supes briefs into shorts and loose some of the bright yellow costume bits, more like how he was drawn in NF, for example.

As for his origin, it's been a looooooong time since we've seen that at the movies and younger audiences could use a new version. I really like the version seen in the animated "The Last Son of Krypton". If the origin story tied directly into a villain, as Braniac did for that story, it would be a good excuse to show his origin.
Old August 23 2008, 03:51 AM   #81
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

^ The Animated Series is a great template to start from. they really did an outstanding job of mis-mashing some of the more iconic aspects of Superman lore... every character felt right, Lois personality, Perry's good-natured-yet-gruff, Lex Luthor the corporate tycoon, the "superman" of metropolis before Superman showed up
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 03:54 AM   #82
butch101
Lieutenant Commander

It might not be a bad thing to do it like the comic version, but maybe as a sequel, not a godforsaken reboot. You can add realism to it, put some ingredients here and there and make something wonderful. But comparing "The Dark Knight" to "Superman Returns" or any other Superman, this is totally wrong.

I don't think that add "darkness" to this wonderful character is the true way to help. Superman is a symbol of optimism for mankind. Superman had dark moments in his life, but this is nothing to compare to Batman. Batman is a man wearing a suit and using today's technology to be a vigilante. Superman is NOT.

Changing Superman's "identity" is not the answer to make big buck$$$. Get a strong storyline. Great director (Singer added some heart to Superman after all), and great actors to make us believe that a man can still fly...

my 2 cents
Butch
butch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 03:55 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They don't have to make Superman Dark. Just his villains.

Zod ripping babies in half? Bizarro Ice Visioning a zoo till all the animals are dead. The Toyman enslaving half a continent and keeping the adults in kennels. Parasite draining Jimmy Olsen till he's a desiccated husk. Maxima raping Superman to get those babies out of him she's been after forever.

And a bright and positive Kal-El optimistically hopeful in the face of such things?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:00 AM   #84
T'Baio
Admiral

Imagine if Brett Ratner got it now? Man, I'd laugh my ass off!

You know who I think would be a good director for it? Wait for it...

Judd Apatow.

I'm serious.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:02 AM   #85
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
An origin story is the key to the superhero formula, as ever single wildly successful super hero franchise has done. SR broke that tread and crashed for it.
Blade, X-Men, heck, the original Batman? None of them did an origin, and all were big hits.
So Marvel is never giving going to let DC use Captain Marvel again huh.
Why would they want to help DC make money?

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:03 AM   #86
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

If they're going for a dark tone(as far as the characters allow it) Clark should be investigating some shady people at the dock who he suspects were smuggling weapons.

He soon finds out they work for Luthor and were helping Luthor construct a new military weapon

On one hand Superman can go right in and demand answers, but what would the public think? Luthors claims that Superman is dangerous would be confirmed. So Clark can't go as Superman

Clark would just be a reporter who has no hard proof and can't fight Lex's money and lawyers.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:07 AM   #87
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Bye bye Jason.
Bye bye Bosworth
^Well THIS is certainly good news, but a darker Superman??

THAT won't work.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:08 AM   #88
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
And they've had how many commercially and creatively successful super-hero films in a decade or so prior to TDK...?
In the last decade their output of live action comic book films (including non-DC and non-superhero) has been Catwoman, Constantine, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Superman Returns, 300, and The Dark Knight, with Watchmen forthcoming.

Catwoman was of course terrible, one of the very worst comic book films ever, but their output since then has been an interesting group of films representing much more ambition in terms of creating bold, striking comic book films than Warners has shown since Tim Burton's Batman films. Opinions of course differ as to whether these films were realized in a creatively satisfying way, and that difference of opinion can be vehement, but at least Warners is aiming high with their comic book films. I'd rather they aim high and sometimes not quite hit the target than aim low and churn out films on the level of Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider.

The fact that they've been redoubling their efforts in the development of DC films by consulting with top DC writers and artists is a good sign, too.
Old August 23 2008, 04:12 AM   #89
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The fact that they've been redoubling their efforts in the development of DC films by consulting with top DC writers and artists is a good sign, too.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; they've had a meeting or two, after a decade or so worth of meetings already.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:20 AM   #90
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; they've had a meeting or two, after a decade or so worth of meetings already.
The meetings are one element in what is obviously a redoubled effort to ramp up and get more DC films made. That's a good thing. Maybe things will fall apart, maybe the films will end up being disappointing, but maybe we'll get some excellent DC films over the next few years. WB has increased their DC output over the last few years and the level of ambition in the projects has been high, so I see cause for optimism that those trend lines will continue in a positive direction.