Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 25 2008, 05:40 PM   #211
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its offcial

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Robinov wants to focus on releasing singular character films and then most likely building up to a JLA movie, much like Marvel is doing now with The Avengers.
If you can't beat them, join them.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 05:15 PM   #212
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

From the Superman Homepage

Jack O'Halloran, who starred as Non in "Superman: The Movie" and "Superman II", says the decision to reboot comes down to money. "Warner's weren't happy with the returns on Superman Returns." As for who he'd like to replace Bryan Singer if the director decides not to continue on with the Man of Steel, O'Halloran says, "I hope if they are rebooting Superman they hand the reins to Richard Donner. It would be the salvation of the series. Dick has such a passion for the series, the fan base would finally get what they have been waiting for someone with the passion to light up the screen."
I don't think Jack gets it. We are done with the Donner verse.
Returns was an attempt at Donner-verse 2.1 we don't want to see an attempt at 2.2 with the reboot.
Old August 27 2008, 06:01 PM   #213
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

People who want to be rid of Bryan Singer should be careful of what they wish for. It's not as though we're going to get James Cameron or Ridley Scott to replace him.
Old August 27 2008, 06:02 PM   #214
Galactus
Rear Admiral

Just give it to Michael Bay or George Lucas and we can all go home.
Old August 27 2008, 07:42 PM   #215
davejames
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
People who want to be rid of Bryan Singer should be careful of what they wish for. It's not as though we're going to get James Cameron or Ridley Scott to replace him.
My thoughts exactly. If people want a quality Superman movie (and not just a dumb action flick with flashy special effects), then there aren't a lot of directors out there to choose from.

Most of the ones out there are, like Ratner and Leterrier, are just craftsman with no real vision and no ability to tell a story.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that's the kind of director we're going to end up with.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 07:52 PM   #216
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
Just give it to Michael Bay or George Lucas and we can all go home.
atleast we'll have big explosions and lots of CGI
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 07:57 PM   #217
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Me thoughts are that majority didn't like the tone and direction the script took.
Its tone was sullen and melancholy. The direction of Luthor as still a "genius unto himself" land grabber was soooo outdated it felt one step above parody. Then the big mis-direction was Jason aka superkid. Those are the primary things I've read here and about the net that people didn't like.

I've read very, very few who out right didn't/don't think Bryan Singer is a good director. His shooting script was just full of errors. The script, which I know he was involved in on some level, was where the direction went wrong.

If Singer has a script with a better tone and the characters are more alive and fresh then I've no doubt his skill as a director will turn out a good product.

Singer wasn't the problem.
Old August 27 2008, 08:48 PM   #218
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Seriously... How did Luthor think he was going to defend that continent? And after BILLIONS of people die, exactly what definition of humanity or economy would still be around to applaud him to... What? The idea that super weapons and tech would just magically appear to defend him against the incumbent NUKING from China and Russia and even America that was going to day glow his ass is laughable.

In the 70s movie, Arizona Bay, despite the calamity was going to make lex a mint, sure a couple years down the line after Martial law had subsided and currency had changed colour 8 times and the Government had seized all the property it needed to deal with disaster relief...

In either case it's 911 times a billion. You have to be a hell of a lot more subtle to profit off the misery of carnage.

Singer approved the script. it's not like there is not THOUSANDS of half decent Superman comics in the DC archives worth pinching substance from that it should have been impossible to make a script that didn't have all the good lines from a 25 year old earlier vision of the same project.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 09:01 PM   #219
ClayinCA
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Man, it must suck to be Brandon Routh right now.
Yeah, I feel really bad for him. The problems Superman Returns had (and I say that as a fan of that film, but not a blind one) were definitely not his fault.

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
It's not hopeless yet. They're supposed to be discussing superhero movie issues more closely with DC people (including writers, hopefully). Maybe WB will actually get some good advice and heed it.
Well, DC has Gregory Noveck working on these sorts of things, and I know that he's working very hard to make sure that things like Catwoman don't happen again.

[QUOTE=Bad Bishop;1978781]
Cartoonist wrote: View Post
I actually enjoyed Superman Returns. I enjoyed it so much I watched it five times in the theater (dragging different people with me each time). But what it gave me most was a sense of closure on the Donner universe - something I didn't realize I was missing over the 25 or so years since I'd seen the original in the theater. Now that that I got that, I'm interested in seeing a new take on Superman.
Yeah, I see that. It's definitely a better ending for the "Donnerverse" (or "Reeve-verse" if you prefer) than, say, Superman IV was.

That's fair. Do you think the studio has to replace Routh in order to accomplish their goals for Superman?
I don't know that they have to, but they probably ought to if they want a whole new take on the character. Having everything be different (supporting cast, back story, setting, character relationships) and the actor playing Superman be the same could confuse people. Having said that, I maintain they could pretty much have Gerard Christopher come play the part and get away with it, so long as the script and the director were good.

Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
PERRY WHITE: Martin Sheen
I really, really like that. I'm stealing it.

SUPERMAN: Peter Krause (Six Feet Under, Dirty Sexy Money)
LOIS LANE: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There, The Aviator)
LEX LUTHOR: Clancy Brown (Carnivale, The Shawshank Redemption)
PERRY WHITE: Martin Sheen (The West Wing, The Dead Zone)
JOR-EL: Lance Henriksen (MillenniuM, Aliens)
LARA: Joan Allen (The Contender, Nixon)
JONATHAN KENT: Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner, Braveheart)
MARTHA KENT: Rita Moreno (Oz, West Side Story)
JIMMY OLSEN: Jared Padalecki (Supernatural, Gilmore Girls)
JOHN HENRY IRONS: Mathew St. Patrick (Six Feet Under, Reunion)
EMIL HAMILTON: Hugo Weaving (The Matrix, V for Vendetta)
ZOD: James Marsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Smallville)
JOHN CORBEN: Terry O'Quinn (Lost, MillenniuM)
BRAINIAC: Callum Keith Rennie (Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files: I Want To Believe)
PARASITE: Garrett Dillahunt (Deadwood, The 4400)
MERCY: Lena Headey (300, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles)
MANCHESTER BLACK: Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Galactica, L&O:UK)
MORGAN EDGE: Michael Emerson (Lost, The Practice)
I could see a lot of this cast working (I've wanted Krause for Superman since Sports Night), but in today's youth-obsessed studio climate, I'd imagine an awful lot of these people would be dismissed by studio heads as too old. Which would be a shame, 'cause if I want to see a Superboy movie, I'll watch three or four episodes of that awful old Superboy show back to back (and even that would have Stacy Haiduk in it ).

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I don't want to see another Superman movie for atleast 10 years, if one comes out around 2010, it will suck because it will be rushed. Am I crazy?
Sounds like you just know your Hollywood.

Seriously, here's a question: what directors do people think would be good for Superman? I've always thought that Robert Zemeckis would be a good choice, if he could be pried away from his fascination with digital-motion-capture. After all, Superman is basically an American folk hero, and since Zemeckis basically treated Forrest Gump as one, he would seem a natural fit. I agree with whoever it was that said that Superman needs a Capra-style director, and I think Robert Zemeckis could pull that off very nicely. Maybe Tom Hanks could play Pa Kent or something.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 09:37 PM   #220
davejames
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Seriously... How did Luthor think he was going to defend that continent? And after BILLIONS of people die, exactly what definition of humanity or economy would still be around to applaud him to... What? The idea that super weapons and tech would just magically appear to defend him against the incumbent NUKING from China and Russia and even America that was going to day glow his ass is laughable.

In the 70s movie, Arizona Bay, despite the calamity was going to make lex a mint, sure a couple years down the line after Martial law had subsided and currency had changed colour 8 times and the Government had seized all the property it needed to deal with disaster relief...

In either case it's 911 times a billion. You have to be a hell of a lot more subtle to profit off the misery of carnage.

Singer approved the script. it's not like there is not THOUSANDS of half decent Superman comics in the DC archives worth pinching substance from that it should have been impossible to make a script that didn't have all the good lines from a 25 year old earlier vision of the same project.
Well I think Luthor was using the island more to lay a trap for Superman (hence his lacing it with kryptonite). And possibly also to mock his Kryptonian heritage a little bit. The financial opportunities were probably just a nice side benefit.

But yeah, even though I had no trouble buying that the island had enough technology to protect itself, it probably would have been good to see some of that displayed a little bit in the movie, and see it fend off a missle attack or something.

Also, in his defense, I don't think he expected the island to be such a dark and dreary looking place. He probably expected the same gleaming white structure as the FoS-- which would have made his "condo" idea seem a lot less ridiculous.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 01:11 AM   #221
Supervisor 194
Captain

I enjoyed Superman Returns--I thought it worked perfectly fine...HOWEVER I do think that if we had seen some dynamic scenes of the Kryptonian tech softening Superman up before he confronted Lex on the k-island AND if instead of three nameless goons who beat up Superman it had been the three depowered Phantom Zoners from Superman II, I think a lot of the problems people had with the movie would have disappeared.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 05:18 AM   #222
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Hell yes, that was ridiculous. You're going to create a new continent right off the eastern seaboard, flooding most of eastern North America and probably parts of Western Europe and Africa, and you think you're going to hold off the combined armed forces of NATO countries with... what? Three henchmen and a whiny ho? If Luther had any intelligence, he would have created his new continent in the Indian Ocean or the South Pacific, where western governments are on record as not giving a damn if the local island nations go under. Hell, with a new continent, he could have given enough land away to house the newly displaced islanders and come off as a philanthropist with plenty of real estate left over for the actual profit-mongering. But then, 'intelligence' and 'Superman Returns' are not expressions that go well together.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old August 28 2008, 01:40 PM   #223
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I liked it how Kal Penn was involved in Spoof movie taking the Piss out Superman Returns. One might consider that to be a conflict of interest? But one couldn't possibly comment.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 09:24 PM   #224
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post
You know, responding to that is like trying to teach a rabbit to fetch a ball -- a lot of effort on your end but absolutely nothing going on upstairs on the other end.

A very valid point and an apt analogy. My hat is off to you.
When there's no debate or exchange of ideas, really, what's the point? When your idea gets dismissed without a reason, then that person gives you his idea and says it's better but doesn't explain why, it's a brick wall. How do you respond to, "I hate you because you suck"?
Maybe "I'm telling Mom!"
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 10:09 PM   #225
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I hope this new Superman will at least let Superman be SUPER. There is SO MUCh that Superman can do, he can go against entire armies, he can outrun comets and stars, he can fly across the world in the blink of an eye, he can battle alien spaceships across the sky. What really bugs me is how unambitious in terms of being a SUPERMAN this last movie really was. How did they F that up??? Its almost unthinkable. There are so many writers out there who would love the chance to really stretch their imagination and be creative.

one good thing, assuming WB doesn't f it up, about a reboot is that you're not bound to any tone. You set the tone. Please god set a good tone and give us something amazing.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote