RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,949
Posts: 5,479,684
Members: 25,056
Currently online: 552
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

USS Enterprise Press-Out And Build Manual
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

New QMx USS Reliant Model
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Star Trek Thirty-Five Years On 35MM: A Retrospective
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
The Force Unleashed demo impressions

The demo went up yesterday on XBLA and PSN. Weighs in at just 100mb shy of a gig for about 30 minutes of gameplay.

I had no idea that it was essentially a God of War clone until playing it - but that's not a bad thing in itself.

It is a fairly competent mix of hack n' slash gameplay with Force powers standing in for traditional 'magic' (a rose by any other name...). The main power you'll be using to blast through this sample level is "Force Grip", the same kind of kick-ass telekinises you saw Darth Vader pwning Luke with in Empire.

You can't move the character while using this power which I found frustrating initially and the controls for moving objects - which use the right trigger to grab/throw and both sticks to move - are a bit fiddly and it took until the end of the demo before I felt comfortable with them.

The camera is not as responsive as I'd like and is used to snap-to target objects for force gripping as well as looking around, which I considered a necessary irritant but again I got used to it.

Visually it's bloody gorgeous, with crisp high resolution textures and one of the most expressive faces in a cutscene that I've seen since GTA4. It's all anti-aliased and pixel shaded up the arse as you'd expect from current gen, looks wonderful.

Lastly, I absolutely loved fighting an AT-ST as a boss in the last bit of the demo. It was seriously cool - I felt like an all powerful force of nature (no pun intended) while I twatted the thing with random heavy stuff, all the while flinging stormtroopers to their deaths.

My biggest real gripe was the QTE finishing move on the AT-ST. I realise this is a staple of the genre, but frankly QTEs are shit.

Really shit.

It's just a lazy way of giving you something to do while the game engine kills the boss for you in what is essentially a mini-cutscene - which you're not able to watch, because you're concentrating on the button presses. I know QTEs split gamers right down the middle and most of you will think I'm just being nitpicky, but there it is. QTEs are crap game design imho.

Aside from that though - it's awesome and I'm definitely buying the game next month. Can't wait!
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 12:19 PM   #2
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Damnit Jim, I was just going to finally go to sleep and now I have to go download this.
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

The PSN demo was 1355mb, and i have too admit that the look of the game was just stunning, could you imagine those x wing or tie fighter games with all that detail.

Anyway i enjoyed the demo, short and it does seem to focus more on the powers, but still enjoyable and very stunning to look at.

The Star wars universe has never looked so good.

Oh why oh why oh why now that we have all this raw power is our beloved Trek gaming franchise dead and buried......just not fair.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:14 PM   #4
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral
 
unimatrix7's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Lastly, I absolutely loved fighting an AT-ST as a boss in the last bit of the demo. It was seriously cool - I felt like an all powerful force of nature (no pun intended) while I twatted the thing with random heavy stuff, all the while flinging stormtroopers to their deaths.

My biggest real gripe was the QTE finishing move on the AT-ST. I realise this is a staple of the genre, but frankly QTEs are shit.

Really shit.

It's just a lazy way of giving you something to do while the game engine kills the boss for you in what is essentially a mini-cutscene - which you're not able to watch, because you're concentrating on the button presses. I know QTEs split gamers right down the middle and most of you will think I'm just being nitpicky, but there it is. QTEs are crap game design imho.

Aside from that though - it's awesome and I'm definitely buying the game next month. Can't wait!
QTEs are less shit than the complete worthlessness of your Force powers in the face of the AT-ST thing. I can use the Force Grip to pull a Tie Fighter out of the sky and slam it into a group of storm troopers, but i can't use it to chuck an AT-ST over a ledge, purely because the designers have decided to designate that enemy as a Boss Monster?

Sorry, but that's crap. I don't like games that don't play by their own rules
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:28 PM   #5
apostle83
Admiral
 
apostle83's Avatar
 
Location: RangeUSA
Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

I think it would be funny if everyone called this Star War:STFU.

I downloaded it last night, and I will definately be buying this game! Roxor!
__________________
To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. - Richard Henry Lee
Blessed Be the Lord Who Trains My Arms for Battle -Psalm 144:1
apostle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:40 PM   #6
FordSVT
Vice Admiral
 
FordSVT's Avatar
 
Location: Atlantic Canada
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post

Oh why oh why oh why now that we have all this raw power is our beloved Trek gaming franchise dead and buried......just not fair.
What's that you say? Star Trek Online?

__________________
-FordSVT-
FordSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

unimatrix7 wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Lastly, I absolutely loved fighting an AT-ST as a boss in the last bit of the demo. It was seriously cool - I felt like an all powerful force of nature (no pun intended) while I twatted the thing with random heavy stuff, all the while flinging stormtroopers to their deaths.

My biggest real gripe was the QTE finishing move on the AT-ST. I realise this is a staple of the genre, but frankly QTEs are shit.

Really shit.

It's just a lazy way of giving you something to do while the game engine kills the boss for you in what is essentially a mini-cutscene - which you're not able to watch, because you're concentrating on the button presses. I know QTEs split gamers right down the middle and most of you will think I'm just being nitpicky, but there it is. QTEs are crap game design imho.

Aside from that though - it's awesome and I'm definitely buying the game next month. Can't wait!
QTEs are less shit than the complete worthlessness of your Force powers in the face of the AT-ST thing. I can use the Force Grip to pull a Tie Fighter out of the sky and slam it into a group of storm troopers, but i can't use it to chuck an AT-ST over a ledge, purely because the designers have decided to designate that enemy as a Boss Monster?

Sorry, but that's crap. I don't like games that don't play by their own rules
I somewhat agree, but I can look past that. I don't mind realism (even within the context of the game's own universe) taking a back seat to level design/gameplay structure.

There's also the fanwank explanation that Tie Fighters are probably a lot lighter and less armoured than the Imperial equivalent of a sherman tank. Right? Right??

Also, the demo is taken from pretty early on in the game. I noticed you were able to target the AT-ST even though you couldn't force-grip it. Perhaps once you've progressed through the game you'll reach a point where you can throw them about too?
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:48 PM   #8
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Well, if it's anything like the Jedi Knight series or Kotors as you level up you earn points to spend on talents, so if they go by that system it's possible to get your force grip skill high enough to do such a thing.

Then again, I know fuck all about this game except for how awesome it looks.
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Well, if it's anything like the Jedi Knight series or Kotors as you level up you earn points to spend on talents, so if they go by that system it's possible to get your force grip skill high enough to do such a thing.

Then again, I know fuck all about this game except for how awesome it looks.
It does have a basic levelling system, yeah. It's obviously not a full blown RPG like Kotor but it's pretty equivalent to God of War.

Then there's the famous concept art/screenshot depicting your character force-crashing a Star Destroyer.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that your force power gets good enough to fling an AT-ST.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

I read some early reviews that downed it for the QTE's.
I personally hate them.
I'll still be picking the game up on September 16th.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post

Oh why oh why oh why now that we have all this raw power is our beloved Trek gaming franchise dead and buried......just not fair.
What's that you say? Star Trek Online?

Unfortunately that's online only and you will have to pay a monthly sub to play it.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 03:26 PM   #12
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post

Oh why oh why oh why now that we have all this raw power is our beloved Trek gaming franchise dead and buried......just not fair.
What's that you say? Star Trek Online?

Unfortunately that's online only and you will have to pay a monthly sub to play it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were already developing a stand alone game for non MMO gamers. And plus, if the game does take off, it could show the developers there's a market for Star Trek games again.

But, at this point this is nothing but wishful thinking.
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 03:26 PM   #13
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
There's also the fanwank explanation that Tie Fighters are probably a lot lighter and less armoured than the Imperial equivalent of a sherman tank. Right? Right??
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 03:56 PM   #14
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Then there's the famous concept art/screenshot depicting your character force-crashing a Star Destroyer.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 04:10 PM   #15
Arrqh
Vice Admiral
 
View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: The Force Unleashed demo impressions

On the AT-ST: I've seen a clip from what I guess is later in the game where you can see an AT-ST being crushed into a ball. Possibly that's just the result of a different QTE, but I'm holding out hope that it's just an upgraded version of force grip.

The demo I thought was pretty fun. The controls were clunky but playable for the most part. Not clunky enough to dissuade me from buying the full game at least! I'm pleasantly surprised as my expectations for the game were pretty... low.
__________________
Don't you know? The chances of a random object being a scone are about one in six.
Arrqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
force unleashed, long ass post, ps3, star wars, xbox 360

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.