Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 23 2008, 03:17 AM   #76
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Sci-fi greenlights STARGATE: UNIVERSE

Lindley wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
Seriously - among people I know, the SGs are jokes. They are NOT taken seriously and are considered the worst kind of popcorn nonsense SF.
These days, yes, unfortunately. There was a time when SG-1 was pretty good, though....I wonder how much of the credit for that goes to Jonathan Glassner.

You expected better from another series?!?
Not unless they get some fresh minds on the problem.
Jonathan Glassner left after the third season are you suggesting that SG1 sucked since the third season?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old August 23 2008, 03:32 AM   #77
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

No, it didn't start going notably downhill until year 7. Ditching Jonas when Daniel returned was the turning point, I think. Up until then SG1 felt more epic every season; with that move, they demonstrated that the formula and maintained status quo was more important than the natural flow of the storyline, and that mindset seems to have become entrenched in the writers' thinking in the years' since then.

All the neat little bits of tech in the early years found it way into regular usage: Naquada generators, Intars, Rings, Asgard beams, etc. Back then when they found something new it actually meant something, because you knew they could pull it out to solve a future problem in a nifty way. Now they're just finding things that are *way* too powerful to let the characters keep them, so the stories inevitably explain why the tech is no good by the end of the episode. It no longer feels like they're moving forward, just stumbling in circles.

The tech problem is summarized when the stunner pistols appeared on Atlantis. Those came out of nowhere. Prior to their introduction (was it in the "Weir and Sheppard possessed" episode?), we'd only seen rifle stunners. If you want to introduce a new weapon prop, at least have the decency to give it a good "discovery" episode! They did it just fine with Zats.....

Last edited by Lindley; August 23 2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old August 23 2008, 03:37 AM   #78
Harvey
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Wait a minute. How F-ing fast does a ship have to be going to get out of range of a stargate within days?

Geez, it's going to be a different galaxy every month.
Seeing how fast ships go and come the pegasus galaxy it's not that surprising that an Ancient ship could travel even faster than our ships do.
Still, we haven't seen any ancient ships move that fast, have we? These are the people that were somehow defeated by the Wraith, too, right?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 23 2008, 03:47 AM   #79
DWF
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Wait a minute. How F-ing fast does a ship have to be going to get out of range of a stargate within days?

Geez, it's going to be a different galaxy every month.
Seeing how fast ships go and come the pegasus galaxy it's not that surprising that an Ancient ship could travel even faster than our ships do.
Still, we haven't seen any ancient ships move that fast, have we? These are the people that were somehow defeated by the Wraith, too, right?
The wraith were able to clone themselves and overwhelm the Ancients with their numbers, but the Ancients moved an entire city to another galaxy and these are the people who created the original stargate network.
Old August 23 2008, 03:50 AM   #80
DWF
Vice Admiral

No, it didn't start going notably downhill until year 7. Ditching Jonas when Daniel returned was the turning point, I think. Up until then SG1 felt more epic every season; with that move, they demonstrated that the formula and maintained status quo was more important than the natural flow of the storyline, and that mindset seems to have become entrenched in the writers' thinking in the years' since then.

All the neat little bits of tech in the early years found it way into regular usage: Naquada generators, Intars, Rings, Asgard beams, etc. Back then when they found something new it actually meant something, because you knew they could pull it out to solve a future problem in a nifty way. Now they're just finding things that are *way* too powerful to let the characters keep them, so the stories inevitably explain why the tech is no good by the end of the episode. It no longer feels like they're moving forward, just stumbling in circles.

The tech problem is summarized when the stunner pistols appeared on Atlantis. Those came out of nowhere. Prior to their introduction (was it in the "Weir and Sheppard possessed" episode?), we'd only seen rifle stunners. If you want to introduce a new weapon prop, at least have the decency to give it a good "discovery" episode! They did it just fine with Zats.....
I thought SG1's seventh season was a great one, it was the ninth season that I thought they rushed things with and it showed, but the tenth season was a good one as well. And they've been wanting to get rid of the Zat guns for some time now, they were getting t oo expensive to keep on the show for one thing and a quick fix for another.
Old August 23 2008, 05:20 AM   #81
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

There was a time when SG-1 was pretty good, though....I wonder how much of the credit for that goes to Jonathan Glassner.
Probably a lot, since the point where the show went down the toilet happened to be almost the exact time he left.
Old August 23 2008, 05:25 AM   #82
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'm more interested in who the writers wil be as opposed to who the actors are. It's the writing that will make or break this show.
Old August 23 2008, 05:26 AM   #83
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I thought SG1's seventh season was a great one, it was the ninth season that I thought they rushed things with and it showed, but the tenth season was a good one as well. And they've been wanting to get rid of the Zat guns for some time now, they were getting t oo expensive to keep on the show for one thing and a quick fix for another.
7 was so so for me with the reduction of RDA.Good Cliffhanger

8- RDA phoned it in completely

9- Shakey start with the team disbanded and Cameron/browder. Another Good cliffhanger

10- eh
Old August 23 2008, 08:48 AM   #84
Kpnuts
Commodore

SG-1 went crap rather quickly after season 6.

When did Glassner leave the show?
Old August 23 2008, 08:49 AM   #85
Kpnuts
Commodore

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Kp will you watch it for 5 seasons if its crap ?
Probably, like I did with SG-1 post season 6, in the hope that it got better. Unfortunately SG-1 just got worse and worse, and seasons 9 and 10 are a complete embarrassment.
Old August 23 2008, 09:58 AM   #86
Gatekeeper
Commodore

Out with "Stargate Atlantis" and in with "Stargate Universe." Well, if nothing else, at least SG fans (including myself, to one degree or another) won't be left twisting in the wind, with no SG whatsoever to sink their teeth into.

FWIW, I keep hoping "Star Trek" might one day return to the small screen.

Gatekeeper
Old August 23 2008, 10:06 AM   #87
Skywalker
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So tracking that... The next Stargate series will be a prequel?

An Edwardian Explorer tremendously fighting tooth and claw through the reaches of the G'Ould occupied territories... My, that sounds like a cross between John Carter, John Crichton and Flash Gordon.
Dude, that sounds awesome! They should make that instead!
Old August 23 2008, 11:15 AM   #88
DWF
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
There was a time when SG-1 was pretty good, though....I wonder how much of the credit for that goes to Jonathan Glassner.
Probably a lot, since the point where the show went down the toilet happened to be almost the exact time he left.
SG-1 went crap rather quickly after season 6.

When did Glassner leave the show?
Jonathan Glassner left after the third season of SG1 and I don't think the series for some reason went bad after he left.
Old August 23 2008, 11:52 AM   #89
MPH
Rear Admiral

Im my eyes s4 and 5 where the best of SG1 so to say it went to shit when Glassner left is wrong.
Old August 23 2008, 12:13 PM   #90
Vahki
Lieutenant Commander

I think there was a marked change in quality when the show moved to SciFi, season 6 was ok but I lost interest in the show after that despite the fact I had been an absolutely fanatical watcher all seasons 1-5.