RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,932
Posts: 5,389,957
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 405
Newest member: Leaveitalone

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 24 2008, 11:11 PM   #16
KendraW
Lieutenant
 
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
^-No one willing to postulate on a Vulcan/Betazoid Hybrid?
hehe

well if humans can find it hard to stand betazoids... (lwaxana, picard.) I can just imagne how much Vulcan's can stand them.

Though if they did get togther, the abilities could be separate. The distant empathic ability like Deanna, and then the mind melding ability of Spock. I didn't notice spock had any diminished ability frm being half human so I don't exactly know what that means. Both telepathic communcation could be experienced differently.

Or like it was said above, the ability could just manifest it self as the the abilities combined to make a stronger power.
KendraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 07:01 AM   #17
Technobuilder
Commodore
 
Technobuilder's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville, TN
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

^Seems reasonable.

In regards to the Romulans, I still think most of the connections to Vulcan still need to be explained. Genetic Engineering seems like the eaiser option in explaining away all the discrepancies, but again I guess it's something that could make for a good story as well.
__________________
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 04:32 PM   #18
Trek
Fleet Captain
 
Trek's Avatar
 
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Aren't the differences between Vulcans, Romulans and Remans explained in the Vulcan's Soul trilogy? Remans being the product of survival on such a harsh world, while the Romulans are the product of a world more sustaining than Vulcan was.
__________________
TrekBBS Armada
STO Captains (@Trek88): Lex, Foxton, Zylah, Sh'Rrth, Riku, Saundra
Author: The Adventures of Argus
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 08:20 PM   #19
Technobuilder
Commodore
 
Technobuilder's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville, TN
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

I haven't read those, so I can't say. But how long did the Romulans have to adapt? It couldn't of been more than 3000 years, that's still not enough time to "evolve" such striking genetic differences? (At least without help) Isn't it?
__________________
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 08:57 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

It's only 2000 years or thereabouts. And while evolution can make relatively rapid leaps upon introduction to a new environment, two millennia would probably be cutting it pretty close for a humanoid population. However, genes are just one part of the equation; as stated, environmental conditions, diet, lifestyle, and such can affect hormonal chemistry, build, and other factors (so that if you took identical twin infants and raised them on two different planets, they could grow up looking significantly different).

And of course, since we're dealing with technologically advanced populations, the possibility of genetic engineering can't be ruled out.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Also, since most things are biologically compatible in the Trek universe, a SGA Wraith scenario is plausible: something living on Remus could have turned the Remans into what they are in the 2370s, through infection or parasitic penetration. This could work a bit faster and more consistently than "mutation through radiation" or other such classics, and wouldn't even need to be hereditary. It could affect each newborn separately.

Outside the novels, it's still possible the Remans are unrelated to Vulcans and Romulans, and are instead an oppressed native or imported species. Taking the novels into account, it might be fun if the people on Romulus were fed government propaganda which claimed that Remus was an agricultural planet where people very similar to Romulans lived their happy lives. The horrible truth of a gulag for aliens and Romulan dissenters would be silenced to death...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 09:42 AM   #22
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral
 
BrotherBenny's Avatar
 
Location: BrotherBenny
View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Timo wrote: View Post
Also, since most things are biologically compatible in the Trek universe, a SGA Wraith scenario is plausible: something living on Remus could have turned the Remans into what they are in the 2370s, through infection or parasitic penetration. This could work a bit faster and more consistently than "mutation through radiation" or other such classics, and wouldn't even need to be hereditary. It could affect each newborn separately.

Outside the novels, it's still possible the Remans are unrelated to Vulcans and Romulans, and are instead an oppressed native or imported species. Taking the novels into account, it might be fun if the people on Romulus were fed government propaganda which claimed that Remus was an agricultural planet where people very similar to Romulans lived their happy lives. The horrible truth of a gulag for aliens and Romulan dissenters would be silenced to death...

Timo Saloniemi
A Romulan Rura Penthe?? I can see that
__________________
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 02:06 PM   #23
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Timo wrote: View Post
Also, since most things are biologically compatible in the Trek universe, a SGA Wraith scenario is plausible: something living on Remus could have turned the Remans into what they are in the 2370s, through infection or parasitic penetration. This could work a bit faster and more consistently than "mutation through radiation" or other such classics, and wouldn't even need to be hereditary.
That's exactly what happened in Vulcan's Soul.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 04:14 PM   #24
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I haven't read those, so I can't say. But how long did the Romulans have to adapt? It couldn't of been more than 3000 years, that's still not enough time to "evolve" such striking genetic differences? (At least without help) Isn't it?
crappy radiation shielding on their colony ships could account for that, easily...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 04:32 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Telepathic Combinations - Vulcan/Betazoid hybrid?

^^Not really. That would produce mutations, but few would be potentially beneficial, and it would take many generations for a coincidentally beneficial mutation in one individual to propagate through the entire species.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
telepaths, vulcans

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.