RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,650
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 564
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 4 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

R.I.P. Ben Gazzara & Zalman King

Stage and screen legend Ben Gazzara has died after losing a battle with pancreatic cancer - the same disease that killed his Road House co-star Patrick Swayze.
Stroy

and

Producer, director and screenwriter Zalman King, whose credits include erotically-charged films such as "9 1/2 Weeks," "Red Shoe Diaries" and "Wild Orchid," died Friday morning at his Santa Monica home following a six-year battle with cancer. King, whose wife Patricia Louisianna Knop, was at his side at the time of his death, was 70.
Story
Old February 4 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: R.I.P. Ben Gazzara & Zalman King

It's a shame that I was also considering a dual RIP thread too - they definitely are dropping fast this week.

X-Files fans owe a lot to King by the way, since David Duchovny starred in Red Shoe Diaries (he was sort of the Rod Serling-like host of the show) in the years before he got hired to play Mulder, so he might not have gotten the role without the exposure. And without King putting them in 9 1/2 Weeks I don't know if Mickey Rourke or Kim Basinger would have found their later success as that film really put both of them on the map.

Gazzara was always one of those actors who seemed to always be around, and was often in that category of "powerhouse" alongside the likes of Ed Asner. I remember him best from his work with Audrey Hepburn in some of her final movies.

RIP both.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

23skidoo wrote: View Post
And without King putting them in 9 1/2 Weeks I don't know if Mickey Rourke or Kim Basinger would have found their later success as that film really put both of them on the map.
Sorry, Alex, can't agree with you on King's importance to Basinger's career. She was already on a strong path with attention grabbing shots as a model (She'd been Miss Breck and had a major Playboy pictorial), a strong TV run (including a lead in a series and a couple of TV movies), and some important movie roles ("The Natural" and "Fool for Love" plus being a Bond Girl early). "9 & 1/2 Weeks" was significant in her career, but I don't think it was critical to it.

Gazzara's certainly a loss. I've been a fan since "Run For Your Life." And his work with Cassavetes will always keep him in the memory of the art house crowd, not to mention his more "pop" work.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 04:43 PM   #4
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Gazzara was a bit saddening. He was, and still is, one of my favorite character actors of all time. It was a great pleasure to discover Cassavettes through Criterion's wonderful box set of some of his best films, and the biggest gem of them all for me was "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie." It's a bleak, darkly humorous and absolutely captivating movie, and a lot of that has to do with him.

He was one of those actors who could show up in the worst movie you've ever seen at that point in time, and I would always walk away thinking, "Man, that movie was terrible, but he was pretty good."
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

This is too bad. I always liked him. RIP.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote