Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 21 2008, 03:16 PM   #91
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

It wasn't a very good show - the cast never gelled and it had a lot of the "format fatigue" problems that slowly diminished "Star Trek" on television after TNG left the air.

I swear, I tried to watch the one where "Weir" showed up as "Fran" last week, and it was nothing but faux peril, technobabble and fan-directed backstory. Even getting all of it, I was bored - I'd think a potential new viewer would have bolted after five minutes.

Maybe by pulling the show before it deteriorated to the point that SCIFI booted it, MGM can change directions and reinvigorate the whole "franchise" before it comes to even the faithful calling for the showrunners' heads as Trekkies did.

Plus, someone at some point ought to pioneer a successful and continuing DVD or web-based science fiction series. "Stargate" is still strong enough as a brand that they may well do so - they seem to have made a good start.
Old August 21 2008, 03:26 PM   #92
TerriO
Writer-type human

^ What, did Sanctuary spawn out of nowhere?
Old August 21 2008, 03:34 PM   #93
boushh
Rear Admiral

Well I'm disappointed.

The first thing I thought of when you guys mentioned that MGM pulled the plug was that it may be more profitable for them to make DVD movies and that's part of why they made the decision.

Whatever the reason this still sucks. I didn't watch SG1. I started with Atlantis so to me it feels like it's been cut short.

Does anyone have a link to what this Stargate Universe thing is all about?
Old August 21 2008, 03:41 PM   #94
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

Well, boo.
Old August 21 2008, 03:45 PM   #95
witchie
Commodore

boushh, there's very little concrete information on SGU. All we know is that the premise will be an Ancient ship that seeded gates throughout the galaxy. The team will probably map out or follow the map of gates to new adventures.

From a money perspective, I can understand MGM's reasons for canceling Atlantis. From a fan perspective, it had lost what made it unique. I was a fan of both shows, but I loved Atlantis because it wasn't SG1. When the writing got lazy and the stunt casting/stunt deaths started occurring, it was time for this fan to say adios. I feel for the actors, but that is the biz, and something tells me this wasn't as big of a shock to them as it was to the viewers.
Old August 21 2008, 04:07 PM   #96
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

Actually Im kinda glad to see it go. Atlantis never really caught fire for me or apparently anyone else. I personally believe that the decision to make Atlantis "Less" military in style and look was its first major screwup. It always seemed like a bunch of rich kids playing on their daddies big spacestation. And that took away from the overall realisim of the show. Yeah I know it isn't real at all...but at least on SG-1 I could somewhat envision that this is all really going on over at the "cheyyenne mountain complex". With Atlantis they didnt even come close to doing that. Also the stranded feel that Atlantis had even in it 5th season was totally wrong. What they physically cant fit enough people thru the gate to FULLY staff all of Atlantis? I mean comeon. We find this huge Aincient base and after 5 years we only have maybe 100 people on a base that could robably hold 50,000?
Those are a few reasons why Im glad to see it go. It was boring...
Old August 21 2008, 04:10 PM   #97
boushh
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info witchie. I agree with you with the stunt deaths, but I stuck around through them because I liked the world and the characters enough to stick around.
Old August 21 2008, 04:39 PM   #98
diankra
Commodore

Hermiod wrote: View Post
JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

So, Galactica and Atlantis end this season. That's two down.
Three, effectively, as there won't be an actual season of Doctor Who next year, just four specials. Unless I'm missing something, that leaves Sci-Fi with Eureka... and the new stuff (which hasn;t been its strong point for several years now).
Old August 21 2008, 04:51 PM   #99
V
Commodore

Of course, they're in full damage control and trying to put a good spin on it by saying "but the story will continue as straight-to-DVD movies!

That's a load of bull: for all intents and purposes the series has been canceled

They tried to forced BSG to be "like Stargate" with standalone episodes too much, but really...

...this is what Scifi Channel always does; hype up its "flagship show" but then abandon it as soon as the ratings dip, then wreck it and mismanage it

First, Farscape. Then remember, scapers, when we were upset that they basically abandoned Farscape for "Shiny new show" Stargate SG-1?

And now they have abandoned Stargate for....Eureka (as they joked in the final season of SG-1)

but I absolutely hate the fluff of Eureka (literally every episode the plot is "town of geniuses can't solve a problem that Joe Sixpack sheriff can, thus making redneck viewers happy and confident that they're really superior to "Smart people") even that wouldn't be too bad, (TOO bad) but its utterly formulaic and repetitious; every episode is basically the same and the overarcing storylines are non-existent

even critics that LIKED the show (i.e. SfyfyPortal) have admitted "wow, in the 3rd season of Eureka the honeymoon period" of being a "shiny new show" has worn off, and its actually pretty boring"

********so this marks another step towards the END OF THE SCIFI CHANNEL! (hurray!)

without Stargate and WITHOUT BSG, and with Eureka tanking, and with Caprica probably going to flop.......what do they have? WHAT DO THEY HAVE?!

****and I've always hated Atlantis, for the following reasons:
  • it was actually advertised as the "darker" version of Stargate, the not-for-kids darker Stargate. But it ultimately turned into the "little brother" Stargate, the sillier light-hearted Stargate
  • The first season was pretty good, because it actually WAS dark and dangerous. Remember when emptying an ENTIRE P90 clip into a Wraith would only briefly STUN it? Now, Shepherd kills dozens of Wraith at once while shooting a pistol around a corner, without looking
  • The Character of Ford literally went nowhere; I mean Enterprise had problems with this too, but even Mayweather got ONE OR TWO episodes devoted to himself; they had SOME plans; turns out, they had literally NO plans for what to do with Ford as a character, even as a thumbnail sketch from the pilot script! So they got rid of him after a season....and Ronon WAS a step up even if he's self-acknowledged to be their Chewbacca
  • Dr. Weir. Horrible, Horrible character. I can't express this enough: at least Ford had the excuse that he didn't do ANYTHING, but what Weir did she did BADLY. I mean......and its hard to describe this....remember when Weir would say any dialogue, and like, if the time were coming back from a mission through the gate, she'd walk up and say "well, John, you sure did just come back from that mission".....and she'd say it in like this....weird sarcastic voice, as if....as if she thinks she just said something witty or made a joke. But she didn't! The character was never developed and just didn't get any real storylines or do anything. It didn't help that she stayed in the base most of the time.
  • Killing off Carson Beckett: okay, remember when we were saying how dumb it was to "kill off" Starbuck as a "surprise" when we knew that they were setting her up for a "surprise return"? Look, on a certain level I can forgive that, because "in theory" they were pretending she really was dead. But when they "shockingly killed off Beckett".....literally.....I mean literally two weeks BEFORE THE EPISODE EVEN AIRED, they openly leaked the news that Beckett would be retruning in the next season. EVEN BEFORE THE EPISODE AIRED, we knew he wasn't "Really dead"......how is this shocking?
  • Shepherd is an O'Neil clone. He's not particularly fun or exciting....granted, that means he isn't....particularly "bad" compared to like Weir or other mistakes they've made, but I will say he is derivative
  • Teyla is and always has been an utterly useless character. Notice how like, even SyFyPortal said "season 5 is good because they started using Teyla less and McKay more". I mean....we MAKE FUN of the "cliche Hot Alien Babe who is Good At Martial Arts but Needs To Be Taught How To Love"......but they went and made Teyla ANYWAY. She's the Seven of Nine Hot Alien Babe or the T'Pol. And why do they keep playing up the possible Shepherd/Teyla relationship when she already has a child with someone else? It was the usual "oh, maybe the two main characters are in love!" storyline trope that never gets acted on. It got boring and predictable really fast
  • The Wraith were never developed as characters, to the point of literally not having NAMES for three seasons on the one hand, it is scary to have a "faceless enemy".....but then, it became BORING that the Wraith don't have names or specified characters........they're just ***Generic Bug-Eyed Evil Aliens!*** to the point that they actually made it a gag that they don't have names: "I'll call you Steve" or "Bob". ****They DID start making real "enemy characters" with like, Michael....who I admit was a good villain. And they did start using Todd-the-Wraith who is a character; but they started doing this FOUR SEASONS INTO IT. The Genii were a good enemy for maybe the first season but then they just played themselves out (once they resestablished contact with Earth and have like, a Daedelus-class cruiser, the Genii weren't really a threat anymore) so who was left after that? what can we do to introduce a "new exciting villain?
  • The knee-jerk reaction to "just bring back the Replicators" when they needed a "NEW" villain ("no, wait, they're new! we call them the "Asurans"!.....but then don't bother to do that and just call them the Replicators!")
  • the series simply got boring. Like, on BSG or other shows, the good guys don't always fully win with like, the "ending neatly wrapped up in a bow". Atlantis ALWAYS ends like that with everything magically working out as if someone waved a wand.
  • the first season was pretty good, and on top of that it was exciting because it was "new", but then without the wonderful old paring of the old Scifi Fridays of "SG-1/Atlantis/BSGseason2", it just wasn't worth it.

So I did actually keep watching Atlantis purely because nothing else was on, but:

I'm not going to watch Caprica (oh, well I'll "Sample" it in the first season but it will be just "me watching it on TV to try it" not "I come online to talk about it" because I'm not a fan, and I predict it will be cancelled after one season after everyone realizes "1-this isn't a prequel about the Cylon Revolt 2-Ron Moore isn't involved at all 3-this isn't really BSG"

BSG is ending

the Stargates are going to be gone

Eureka is failing and I don't even watch it anyway

I don't watch their cruddy reality TV

they can't even fall back on Doctor Who reruns because they're taking a year off on DW

What do they have left?!?! NOTHING! "When BSG ends, its all over"

Warehouse 13 and Revolution sound like more flops from the folks that brought us Flash Gordon
Old August 21 2008, 04:55 PM   #100
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TerriO wrote: View Post
^ What, did Sanctuary spawn out of nowhere?
What was that, seven or eight fifteen-minute webisodes that no one but some "Stargate" fans watched? Certainly not a breakthrough as a "successful continuing series." In fact, their own measure of success seems to have been to sell the series to basic cable rather than continue to focus on new media.
Old August 21 2008, 04:58 PM   #101
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

V wrote: View Post
********so this marks another step towards the END OF THE SCIFI CHANNEL! (hurray!)
Sorry, fans have declared SCIFI dead or dying since about three months after it started transmitting. Ain't happening any time soon - they'll generate more programming of one kind or another as they always have.
Old August 21 2008, 05:01 PM   #102
kitkat
Admiral

*goes off to cry*

This sucks. The movie will be cool but in general this sucks.

Past, present and future walked into a bar...it was tense.
Old August 21 2008, 05:04 PM   #103
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Oh My Dears, just got back online from my move, and this is the first thread I see

Well, to be quite honest with you I am by no means surprised, on the one hand SGA has been sucking lately, on the other hand SCIFI is managed by idiots. Still, it is sad news as it was just about the only good thing left on SCIFI.

The Stargate franchise seriously needs a break, like Star Trek. SG-1 was great, but started getting bad in the last few seasons. SGA had a lot of potential, but it was never executed that well and had no real goal.

IMO SGA should have never been made, they should have stuck to finishing out SG-1 with quality, and then moved into movie land. It really makes me concerned about Stargate Universe.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old August 21 2008, 05:07 PM   #104
Hobs202
Commodore

I'll be honest with you guys. I'm not very sorry to see this show go. I'm not very happy, but not too sorry either. In my opinion, this show has been going downhill since they got rid of Weir. The only REALLY good episode Season 4 had to offer was "All My Sins Be Remember'd". I haven't really been watching Season 5, but from what I can tell it looks like a bunch of really average type episodes.

Anyway, look at the bright side - they get to continue with DVD movies so it's not a total loss.

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old August 21 2008, 05:09 PM   #105
V
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Can't say I'll be sad to see it go. Here's hoping that Joe Flanigan, Connor Trinneer and Robert Picardo can get on better sf/f shows quickly.

There are too damn many really excellent genre actors who aren't on good shows.

Mallozzi, the "Atlantis" show runner, has stated in his blog that five years may be the limit for franchise shows in the future. He cited the fact that the rising Canadian dollar versus the U.S. dollar is becoming an expensive way to make Vancouver-produced shows like those in the "Stargate" family.
The ratings were decent, so it must be the exchange rate that was the nail in the coffin. This will start impacting other sf/f shows in Vancouver. Maybe they can get some decent credits in New Mexico or other inexpensive places? How about Utah, that's some stunning scenery and it can't be that pricey.

wait, so it's actually cheaper to make shows in the USA now?

So instead of "the new Canada" being New Zealand or something.....the "new Canada" is....the USA?