Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 21 2008, 10:11 AM   #76
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

It was a nice way to spend a saturday morning before starting the day, but they chopped and changed the characters and started storylines only to drop them without any explanation too much for me to develop a sustained interest in the show.

I feel for the cast and it's always a shame when a show with really cool spaceships gets canned, but the show deserved to be cancelled.
Old August 21 2008, 10:15 AM   #77
chancellorjake
Captain

Well, this is thoroughly disappointing news. So far, Season 5 has been great and I'm really going to miss this cast. In some ways I feel that we never really go to know Teyla and Ronon. The worst part is that I really love the Atlantis city sets and hate to think of them being "struck".
The only good news in this is that I won't have to watch anything on Skiffy anymore.
Old August 21 2008, 10:38 AM   #78
Etched
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Etched wrote: View Post
The season finale/100th episode which is called "Enemy At The Gates" has not been filmed yet, in fact they have another four episodes to film by my reckoning, but I suspect that TPTB have known about this for a while. So although it'll be a cliffhanger I would guess its one they know they can wrap up in 2 hours.
My understanding about the second half of the season...

I consider the Wraith to be the whole series enemy and would want the DVD movie to be about them, not the Asuran Replicators or anyone else.
I'm not so sure.
Old August 21 2008, 12:33 PM   #79
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

At first i thought season 5 would be the last but when i saw the ratings i thought we would get a season 6.
I am so sad to see it go i love Mckay.
I just hope the dvd will be better than the sg1 ones.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old August 21 2008, 01:17 PM   #80
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

SGA was never SG1 in its prime. But despite its flaws and character shuffling, I really liked it. This news really bums me out.
Old August 21 2008, 01:19 PM   #81
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I enjoy Atlantis and love some of the characters, but the SG franchise is looking and feeling tired. Like Trek, it needs new blood. Before Stargate Universe starts, if that's where the next major thrust of the franchise goes, they need to bring on board a new crew to breath freshness in. Worked for Bond, will likely work for Trek (did for Ent S4, just no one was around to notice), etc etc.

The current crew did well, but it's clear at this point they are spent.
Old August 21 2008, 01:30 PM   #82
Newt
Commodore

Well this blows.

Fry: Tremble? I laugh. Nobody knows more about Star Trek than me!
Old August 21 2008, 01:33 PM   #83
Neroon
Mod of balance

I know that this will not be of much consolation, but as a fan of Farscape I can empathize with you fans of "Stargate: Atlantis". Being cut short before it's end rarely ever sits well. However, at least in Scape's instance, a well-executed fan campaign helped bring it back long enough for a relatively satisfying resolution. There's no reason to think the same can't be accomplished here with "Atlantis". Then again it seems at least one DVD movie is definite, so with the right response more could be in the offering, couldn't it?
Old August 21 2008, 01:47 PM   #84
TerriO
Writer-type human

Not if MGM was the one who pulled the plug, which is looking increasingly likely from what I've been seeing around the 'Net this morning.

Don't get me started on the Farscape campaign, because you know I saw more of the other side of that than most fans on the 'Net. Until Henson was willing to pony up the cash to pay for PKW, that actually didn't work. Sci Fi only had to pay for the broadcast rights, and none of the production costs. That was when it became an acceptable financial risk. The fact that it made good with Scapers was gravy. The less Sci Fi had to pay for it at that time, the easier it was to convince them to air it.

While I haven't seen the MGM press release yet, it's sounding increasingly like the success of the SG-1 DVDs is what resulted in this.
Old August 21 2008, 01:53 PM   #85
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Season 5 just started here, got off to a good start and from what I hear season 5 has been better than season 4 so this does come as a bit of a surprise.

But the quality has dropped a lot over the years to the point where I barely watched season 4. I hope this DVD movie raps up everything.
Old August 21 2008, 01:54 PM   #86
Neroon
Mod of balance

TerriO wrote: View Post
Not if MGM was the one who pulled the plug, which is looking increasingly likely from what I've been seeing around the 'Net this morning.

Don't get me started on the Farscape campaign, because you know I saw more of the other side of that than most fans on the 'Net. Until Henson was willing to pony up the cash to pay for PKW, that actually didn't work. Sci Fi only had to pay for the broadcast rights, and none of the production costs. That was when it became an acceptable financial risk. The fact that it made good with Scapers was gravy. The less Sci Fi had to pay for it at that time, the easier it was to convince them to air it.

While I haven't seen the MGM press release yet, it's sounding increasingly like the success of the SG-1 DVDs is what resulted in this.
As to the Scape campaign, I know I'm naive in such matters, but I still knew money was at the root of even these evils. While the fan campaign certainly wasn't THE deciding factor, it had to help things considerably. Or at least made Henson think it was workable. That was why I thought something like that might help with Atlants. Not being as involved in the Gate fandom as you are, I hadn't realized to what extent MGM and the DVD sales had in this until you and others brought it up. Based upon what you all have said, yeah... I agree that there is little likelihood such a campaign would help.

Ironic, isn't it? That the SG-1DVD sales and pending "Stargate: Universe" development are probably what killed off Atlantis? Sounds almost cannibalistic.
Old August 21 2008, 02:09 PM   #87
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Maybe, perhaps those planning the Stargat U wanted the maximum amount of money they could sink into the show. They also have seen examples of the same house trying to run two involved shows at once (the Treks, which, unlike the procedurals and all their clones, don't write themselves). So I can perfectly understand their decision from that vantage point.

Chances are, we'll see characters from SG-1 and Atlantis in recurring roles on that show, if not on the regular cast.
Old August 21 2008, 02:56 PM   #88
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Captain Euphoria wrote: View Post
Well, with the end of SG-1, SG-A and BSG plus the lackluster storytelling so far in this season of Eureka, I no longer have any reason to watch Sci-Fi. Reruns of shows I've already watched do not a network make!
Well, that's the way the ball bounces, sometimes. I'm sure they would've preferred a more smooth transition from old programs to new, but their last two tries at tentpole shows failed critically and ratings-wise, another failed just in the ratings, and there are probably others I've already forgotten. They're going to need a bit of luck to hit on another set of friday-night powerhouses as in the good old days.
Old August 21 2008, 03:03 PM   #89
Tom
Rear Admiral

Also Scifi did not pull BSG's plug it was the producer's decision, to the contrary, Scifi is trying to extend BSG by spliting and stretching season 4 (though alot of that had to do with the writers strike as well) and they just greenlit another BSG movie.

As for Caprica, keep in mind "It is NOT a Series (yet)" Caprica is just one film and hopefully a backdoor pilot to a series but if the ratings suck there will be no series.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Old August 21 2008, 03:07 PM   #90
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Well looks like David Hewlitt needs a new job, I think there is a position opening up in a few years in the U.K. They are looking for someone to drive a Blue Police Box around the universe.

Anyways with the whole universe jumping and repli-weir stating that there are other races that are hiding in the Pegasus galaxy was bringing hope that they would have at least another season..... Oh well.....

Let's hope the DVD movie is good, though I would like to see some Atlantis Characters in "Universe" Namely Zalenka and Lorne, maybe a guest spot or two with Shep and McKay.

Last edited by Meredith; August 21 2008 at 03:12 PM.