Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 21 2008, 09:25 PM   #136
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Russ wrote: View Post
Despite a slight gain in viewers this season, this cancellation is completely understandable. I wrote a post about it on my site, and have included a chart that compiles the household ratings of all the episodes that have aired thus far (click to enlarge).

It rebounded at the end of season four, but its just not doing nearly as well as it should be.
Well, that's still better than the absolute rating plummet that Star Trek: Voyager did after its first few episodes.
Old August 21 2008, 09:34 PM   #137
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

IMO S1 of Atlantis was the best of the series.
Yeah that was back when I could still hope/pretend that maybe SG:A would be something different - darker, sharper drama about people trapped in another galaxy and forced to survive by their wits alone. But then all that ended and the whole thing began a quick slide to become an SG-1 rehash.

Oh well, there's always Stargate Universe. Maybe Cooper and Wright will get a fresh staff with fresh ideas? Who am I kidding they're the Canadian Berman & Braga duo.
That's why I'm hoping for a move to New Mexico. Just re-create the sets there, and leave everyone involved in production & writing behind. Send down a few SG-1 or SG:A actors every now and then for guest shots. There must be better people who could take on the Stargate mythos and do something interesting with it. New/interesting scenery would just be a bonus.
Old August 21 2008, 09:36 PM   #138
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
It's not cancelled it's ending.
As in, no new episodes will be shown?

Same result.
Old August 21 2008, 09:39 PM   #139
David cgc
Vice Admiral

TheInsideMan wrote: View Post

Same result.
Well, not really. If I understand it properly, cancelled means a full stop. Meaning that the last four episodes that they haven't filmed yet wouldn't be filmed.
Old August 21 2008, 09:43 PM   #140
TheInsideMan
Commodore

David cgc wrote: View Post
TheInsideMan wrote: View Post

Same result.
Well, not really. If I understand it properly, cancelled means a full stop. Meaning that the last four episodes that they haven't filmed yet wouldn't be filmed.
As in, no new episodes will be shown after Season 5?

Who would have thought that the Enemy at the Gate would be......MGM/SG-1 DVD Movie Sales?
Old August 21 2008, 09:47 PM   #141
MPH
Rear Admiral

Dissapointed but not supprised that its ending, and I can also on see them doing one TV movie as I imagine they would have to dismantle the SGA sets.

Anyway thats it for space based sci fi then now isnt it with SGA and BSG finishing next year.
Old August 21 2008, 09:55 PM   #142
Harvey
Admiral

With DVD movies in the pipeline, but series production coming to a stop, I'd say it's not ending it's canceled.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 21 2008, 10:00 PM   #143
that1guy
Commander

Send a message via AIM to that1guy Send a message via Yahoo to that1guy

I can't say that I'm completely surprised by it's cancellation. Here's hoping that they're using the time off to get going on Stargate Universe. They really need some new, fresh ideas on where to take the franchise. It seems like Stargate Universe has the right idea, but they can't split their attention like they did when Atlantis first started.
Old August 21 2008, 10:08 PM   #144
EnsignRicky
Commodore

This could all be part of thier grand plan, Stargate The Motion Picture..... Oh wait, never mind.
Maybe I shouldn't joke, the franchise IS just about hitting reboot age.
Old August 21 2008, 10:11 PM   #145
witchie
Commodore

According to posters on GW, all of the S1 actors had 6 year contracts. So the 3 original cast had 1 more year of pay due them. Not sure how that works out with the show ending in 5.
Old August 21 2008, 10:13 PM   #146
that1guy
Commander

Send a message via AIM to that1guy Send a message via Yahoo to that1guy

witchie wrote: View Post
According to posters on GW, all of the S1 actors had 6 year contracts. So the 3 original cast had 1 more year of pay due them. Not sure how that works out with the show ending in 5.
EXTRA MONIES! YAY!
Old August 21 2008, 10:14 PM   #147
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Maybe some limited role on "Universe" and then a year later they're let go? like Amanda tapping

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

I can understand that that might make Canadian shows more expensive but why does this specifically limit them to 5-year runs?
maybe a 100 episodes for syndication? any more seasons than that, things have to be renegotiated I guess.
Yeah. And TV series actor contracts are usually only for 5 years (presumably why we started seeing less of Jack O'Neill & Daniel Jackson in the later seasons of SG-1) but is there any reason to think that Joe Flannigan & David Hewlett would start getting significantly more expensive after Season 5?
Hewlitt probably since he has the coveted "And David Hewlett as Dr Rodney Mckay"

btw why did he get that spot anyways? was it because he was already established as a character from his SG-1 appearences?

Also Hewlett believed season 4 would be the last
http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/content/view/149/35/
However, now it's my turn to bend him to my own evil ways. I can already see him working out how to create an army of flying robots that he can use to take over the world..all for peace and prosperity for all mankind of course...but then, maybe I'm projecting.
I am officially on hiatus! We shot the exciting conclusion to season four (possibly the last Atlantis season?) and I already miss my fellow actors and crew...okay, maybe just the breakfast sandwiches and lunch, but you know what I'm getting at ;-) So now we wait to find out what if anything we'll be up to next year! I figure worse comes to the worse I could get the cast to sign Baz (with a name like Sebastian, you've got to have abbreviation!) and I'll auction him off on ebay. There's good money in babies I hear ;-)
Old August 21 2008, 10:19 PM   #148
Harvey
Admiral

witchie wrote: View Post
Most shows (and franchise movies) these days try to sign actors to multiple season/movie contracts. It doesn't mean that they're owed the money for those seasons. That would be a pay-or-play deal, which is rarer, and the kind that gave Tim Burton, Nicholas Cage, and others a huge sum of money for the never made Superman Lives! movie in the 1990s.

For example, the Serenity cast were signed for multiple films. When that film flopped at the box office, said sequels were simply never made. The core cast of SG-1 actors were also signed for an 11th season. Amanda Tapping was brought over to Atlantis using this contract, but the other actors were simply let go (with no money paid).

I'm totally in the dark in how these deals would translate to bringing the cast on board for a DVD movie, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 21 2008, 10:21 PM   #149
witchie
Commodore

btw why did he get that spot anyways? was it because he was already established as a character from his SG-1 appearences?
2 reasons that I can see.

1) Established character from SG1
2) Most popular character
Old August 21 2008, 10:24 PM   #150
V
Commodore

maybe I'm too jaded to say "the concept wore itself out"

but really

The Ori of seasons 9 to 10 SG-1 were a rehash

and then the Wraith...weren't even the Goa'uld. The Goa'uld had personality! But even the Goa'uld were worn out in season 8

either way, I agree with Temis that Season 1 really was the best season (though I must admit, season 5 is better than all past seasons because Weir is gone, Woolsey is actually a good character; and they're using Teyla less and McKay more)

***I mean the whole selling point was "they're trapped in ANOTHER galaxy, different from ours, its really remote and they're NOT in contact with Earth"

but after they found the first ZPM, what's the point. What do they have, 3 or 4 of these things rattling around now?

They can get to Atlantis via ship in 3 weeks, and if they REALLY need to they can hook the Antarctic ZPM or something up to the Earth-gate and just hop through the gates using the 8th chevron (or just unhook it from Daedelus if it is near Earth)

After that, it became "Stargate lite" just as Voyager was "Next Gen light"

can't we just let it die?

Can't we move on to other shows?

do we keep having to "suck away at the show until we've sucked the marrow from its bones?"