RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 423
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 23 2008, 02:05 AM   #31
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
TG Theodore wrote: View Post
Regarding the residuals questions, famous cameos were usually done for scale back then, and most likely just a one or two-run payment.

Only really smart people like Sheldon Leonard, Danny Thomas, Lucille Ball, Carl Reiner, Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke actually got long term "pieces" of their early TV shows.

Regular residuals for major cast members really didn't start on a wide level until around 1969/1970 with the advent of the Norman Lear shows, the MTM shows, etc.
The Wiki link for the series says that some of these cameos were done as uncredited, unpaid walk-ons. How, if any, would this complicate the rights issues?

That's what he's saying: it probably isn't the complication.

Probably the real complication is ownership between Fox and WB, maybe Dozier...

And now with the Watchman case...the relations between Fox and WB isn't great...
Old August 23 2008, 02:16 AM   #32
Christopher
Writer

The Wiki link for the series says that some of these cameos were done as uncredited, unpaid walk-ons. How, if any, would this complicate the rights issues?
It wouldn't. If they weren't credited or paid appearances in the first place, the performers in question couldn't get any residuals, ever. An extra cut of nothing is still nothing. And as stated, even most performers back then who were credited and paid didn't get residuals specified in their contracts.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 02:20 AM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
It wouldn't. If they weren't credited or paid appearances in the first place, the performers in question couldn't get any residuals, ever.
The Wiki link goes on to say that since some of the cameos were unpaid and uncredited, Fox has no home video clearances for them. Is this just inaccuracy on Wiki's part, then?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 04:04 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

I don't know, I'm not an expert. I don't see why there would be rights issues, but these things can be crazy, so maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe they're wrong.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 05:07 AM   #35
nx1701g
Admiral

It wouldn't. If they weren't credited or paid appearances in the first place, the performers in question couldn't get any residuals, ever.
The Wiki link goes on to say that since some of the cameos were unpaid and uncredited, Fox has no home video clearances for them. Is this just inaccuracy on Wiki's part, then?
I could understand the no video clearances on them because there was no video back then. As for the cameos I can understand that being something that holds things up.
Old August 23 2008, 07:21 AM   #36
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

the truth is, that I own the DVD rights to batman TCS, and i have buried the originals in my back yard
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 01:43 PM   #37
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Well, it's not DVD, but...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...496A419A16E202
Old August 23 2008, 10:11 PM   #38
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I love this series and would definitely buy the DVDs.
So do I, and so would I.

What I've never understood is why the fans of a more serious Batman (which I admittedly, am one), don't see this show for what it is: a spoof. Everything under the sun has been spoofed at one time or another, and this show was simply Batman's turn.

I think of it like this: Batman 1966 is to "serious" Batman, what Spaceballs was to Star Wars.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2008, 11:11 PM   #39
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Speaking from my own experience, it's because this show dominated the popular perception of what Batman was for over two decades. There was a time when, in the minds of "serious" Batman fans, it had to be brought down to make way for something more definitive.

But that time is long past. The "Dark Knight" Batman has been dominant for two decades now, and Batman '66 is no threat to that.
Old August 24 2008, 02:24 AM   #40
RandyS
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^Speaking from my own experience, it's because this show dominated the popular perception of what Batman was for over two decades. There was a time when, in the minds of "serious" Batman fans, it had to be brought down to make way for something more definitive.

But that time is long past. The "Dark Knight" Batman has been dominant for two decades now, and Batman '66 is no threat to that.
Well, if the 66 show is no threat to that, then release the damn DVD's already......
Old August 24 2008, 02:48 AM   #41
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Fan perception of the merits of the show has nothing to do with it not being on DVD. That's all about some legal issues between Warner and Fox.
Old August 24 2008, 03:06 AM   #42
Sheliak
Commodore

There is no other Batman than 60's TV Batman.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 07:14 PM   #43
RandyS
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^Fan perception of the merits of the show has nothing to do with it not being on DVD. That's all about some legal issues between Warner and Fox.
Yeah, I know. I was just venting. I want those DVD's. I've had the show on tape since the summer of 1989, and they are starting to wear out.
Old August 25 2008, 01:01 AM   #44
RookieBatman
Commodore

N-121973 wrote: View Post
Speaking of old TV shows that should be on DVD, I think Disney should release the colourised editions of the old Guy Williams Zorro show from the 50s on DVD. I've watched a few clips of the colourised episodes on Youtube recently and they're quite good. Like Batman it was something I used to watch on Saturday mornings.
Well, if you (or any kids you might have) are a fan of various other Disney products, you might be in luck. The colorized first season and maybe half of the second is on DVD exclusively through the Disney DVD club. This means that you'd have to get like five other DVDs as obligation to the club membership, but if you like Disney stuff, that's no loss.
Along with wishing they would be non-exclusive, I wish they'd release the original b&w versions. I'm not really a fan of colorizing since I don't mind black and white. I just prefer things to be in their original format. But yes, in whatever form, I do wish they would put this show on DVD.
In addition to Zorro and Batman, the other must-release shows on my list are Maverick, the Lone Ranger (although, 36 episodes have been released, but with no more likely forthcoming anytime soon), the Green Hornet, Major Dad (hey, I'm a military brat), and the X-Men cartoon.

As for the question of cameos mucking up the works, I read about this Bob Hope movie called "The Paleface," a western comedy. Apparently, according to the IMDB trivia (or maybe Wikipedia?), Bob Hope had so much influence back then that he got a crazy amount of cameos from all the western superluminaries of the time. He had James Arness as Matt Dillon, James Garner as Brett Maverick, Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, and others. It seems that no TV presentation or video release of The Paleface has ever been totally complete, because they weren't allowed to use some of the cameos outside of the theatrical release. I don't know any of the whys and wherefores of that, but there might be a similar situation like that for Batman. I doubt that's the only problem, but consider; even if they just edited out all those cameos and released the show without them, that editing could cost a little more than they might care to spend, if they're under the impression that the DVD's wouldn't sell well since the dark Batman is so popular now (not that I feel that way; I think I'd be one of the relatively few younger people to buy them, but I think the nostalgia crowd would have them flying off the shelves).
Old August 25 2008, 01:05 AM   #45
RookieBatman
Commodore

In my experience, the Adam West Batman is a show that you love as a serious adventure series when you're a kid, then dismiss as silly and campy when you reach adolescence and want to take everything seriously, then love again when you're fully grown up and finally figure out that it was a sitcom and was intentionally silly and campy, not to mention quite clever and subversive at times. Unless you're a comic-book geek who takes Batman way too seriously and insists on ignoring the historical reality that the character hasn't always been a grim avenger of the night.
Quoted for truth!
I know that's a little old to QFT, but I figure that I disagree with Christopher enough that I should give him his proper respects when I do so absolutely agree with him as in this case. I'm constantly surprised by the amount of adults I encounter who still don't get that the comedy was intentional. I feel kinda sad for them at what they're missing.