RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 780
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hellboy

Finally got around to seeing the first movie - pretty fun! One question, are Frasier's fishy brother and the firestarter girl also immigrants from the HP Lovecraft dimension that Hellboy came from? And if so, how did they get through? (To be explained in future movies?)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Re: Hellboy

No they didn't, their origin is never explained in the movie (I don't think) but I doubt they came from the same place.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

Their origin isn't explained in the second movie, either. And David Hyde Pierce doesn't voice the character in the second film, but I didn't notice the difference. Doug Jones does more than a satisfying job in my opinion.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Finally got around to seeing the first movie - pretty fun! One question, are Frasier's fishy brother and the firestarter girl also immigrants from the HP Lovecraft dimension that Hellboy came from? And if so, how did they get through? (To be explained in future movies?)
Abe Sapien's origin isn't explained in the movies, but Wiki says:

Sapien was formerly Langdon Everett Caul, a powerful businessman involved with a strange cult during the Victorian era. After retrieving a strange jellyfish-like deity from an underwater ruin, Caul and other gentlemen perform an arcane ritual that ends with the creature's release and Caul being turned into an icthyo sapien.
Old August 24 2008, 09:38 PM   #5
T'Baio
Admiral

The Troll Market through to the Elemental sequence in Hellboy II is the best thing I've seen in a theater all summer!
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

IIRC, Abe Sapien is described in Hellboy 1 as having been found in a tank under a portrait of Abraham Lincoln and said tank was labelled Icthyo Sapien, hence the name Abe Sapien...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

And David Hyde Pierce doesn't voice the character in the second film, but I didn't notice the difference.
David Hyde Pierce wasn't credited for the role anywhere I could find. Is it possible that was Doug Jones all the time? It sounded exactly like David Hyde Pierce.
Old August 24 2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

^^
He performed the role uncredited in the first Hellboy.

According to IMDB, he didn't want to be credited, out of respect for Doug Jones' performance. Jones is pretty good providing the voice as well, in both Hellboy II and Hellboy: Animated.

Old August 24 2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

According to IMDB, he didn't want to be credited, out of respect for Doug Jones' performance.
False modesty, considering how easily recognized his voice is.

Doug Jones was pretty amazing in that Fear Itself episode.
Old August 25 2008, 04:53 AM   #10
Twilight
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
The Troll Market through to the Elemental sequence in Hellboy II is the best thing I've seen in a theater all summer!

That scene was fantastic. Just wild creativity all around.

My favorite scene in the film, though, remains the Angel of Deah scene. It was just beautiful.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 05:01 AM   #11
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
^^

According to IMDB, he didn't want to be credited, out of respect for Doug Jones' performance. Jones is pretty good providing the voice as well, in both Hellboy II and Hellboy: Animated.
I know I'm in the minority here, but, I'm not gonna lie - I preferred Pierce's voice over Jones'.
Old August 25 2008, 07:26 AM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
^^

I know I'm in the minority here, but, I'm not gonna lie - I preferred Pierce's voice over Jones'.
It's not that I prefer one over the other. I just couldn't for the life of me distinguish from the two (but the animated series was a different beast, and its not like I've been able to see the second film at my own pace to listen to the voice).

Old August 25 2008, 06:09 PM   #13
Mr Light
Admiral

My favorite Hellboy 2 scene was the locker room scene. Good lord I was dying laughing.

But overall Hellboy 2 was surprisingly excellent, far exceeding the first one. Possibly my second favorite flick of the summer!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
^^

I found it distracting. I kept thinking about Fraser's brother rather than the character. A voice that distinctive is good in cartoons, but doesn't quite fit with live action.

The plotline to the first Hellboy was kinda eh, didn't really like the villains and focusing on the helldogs and their "eggs" didn't really do it for me. The positives were that the three "mutant" characters were introduced well and are interesting enough to carry through several movies, plus the background mythology is good. Sounds like #2 is much better.
Old August 25 2008, 08:32 PM   #15
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed both films. I didn't think DHP's voice was distracting, and I got used to the other guy after about two scenes in H2. What I did find distracting was the elf prince. His voice, and physique kept reminding me of Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire. Oh, how I wanted him to die.