Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old January 8 2009, 07:22 AM   #166
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Awesome start of the battle; I imagine it hasn't reached frantic energy just yet. The different characters and their thoughts made them seem very real and understandable. Excellent work!
This battle's going to have several phases and at parts of it, four things going at once...and yeah, this is just the first one getting started. So it's going to be a real test for me, that's for sure!

Glad it's making sense so far!

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
You have writing these kinds of scene down to an art form. The way you can develop the different characters as battle comes...Sorebec is cool..keep it coming!!!
I really regretted having to kill Sorabec. I really did.

We'll see what happens as I actually get into posting the battle, though...that's going to be a whole new type of writing for me.
Old January 8 2009, 09:33 PM   #167
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Judging by what I've read you'll do fine....

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2009, 09:35 PM   #168
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
SLWatson wrote: View Post
Awesome start of the battle; I imagine it hasn't reached frantic energy just yet. The different characters and their thoughts made them seem very real and understandable. Excellent work!
This battle's going to have several phases and at parts of it, four things going at once...and yeah, this is just the first one getting started. So it's going to be a real test for me, that's for sure!

Glad it's making sense so far!

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
You have writing these kinds of scene down to an art form. The way you can develop the different characters as battle comes...Sorebec is cool..keep it coming!!!
I really regretted having to kill Sorabec. I really did.

We'll see what happens as I actually get into posting the battle, though...that's going to be a whole new type of writing for me.
Um..yeah..that threw me!!! Can you bring Sorabec back?? I mean, STAR TREK is scifi..if you can't bring Sorabec back can I 'bring' the character to life in my SHUFFLE THE DECK story? Not the same "Character", but you know...a new life...???
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2009, 09:41 PM   #169
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Hm...I hope you'll understand, Robert, but I would kind of rather not have the Sigils and Unions continuity or characters getting mixed in with other continuities.

And I really appreciate your confidence, Mistral--I hope I can live up to it!
Old January 8 2009, 09:44 PM   #170
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Hm...I hope you'll understand, Robert, but I would kind of rather not have the Sigils and Unions continuity or characters getting mixed in with other continuities.

And I really appreciate your confidence, Mistral--I hope I can live up to it!
I understand totally..then at least give Sorebec a child!!! some where in the past!!!...you never know

Rob
Scorpio
Old January 8 2009, 09:49 PM   #171
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I don't think she was married or ever had children...sorry.

Sadly, war is war and the effects of the Dominion War on the Cardassians in particular were brutal. It ripped through whole families, I imagine; there is probably no Cardassian alive by the end who has not been touched by the loss of someone they know. Most, I think, will have lost at least one family member...some many more.
Old January 8 2009, 10:07 PM   #172
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I don't think she was married or ever had children...sorry.

Sadly, war is war and the effects of the Dominion War on the Cardassians in particular were brutal. It ripped through whole families, I imagine; there is probably no Cardassian alive by the end who has not been touched by the loss of someone they know. Most, I think, will have lost at least one family member...some many more.
True...I lost an uncle in VIET NAM, so you are right..well, I liked Sorebec, in fact you do a good job of developing all your characters, I tip my had to you...

Rob
Old January 10 2009, 01:52 PM   #173
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

I truly enjoy this story. I like the angle you're approaching it from, and I liked the fact that you did kill Sorebec--I know it's hard to kill characters you've grown fond of, but then, there's always back history that you can fill in later.
Old January 10 2009, 03:44 PM   #174
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

A great build up to the battle and the opening gambit has hit its first stumble. Will it cause the effort to falter completely? Who else will die? Agh! nail biting. Excellent insights, again, into the thought processes of the characters even as the action kicks up a gear. You're doing a great job despite your own anxieties. Just keep doing what you're doing.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 02:41 AM   #175
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
I truly enjoy this story. I like the angle you're approaching it from, and I liked the fact that you did kill Sorebec--I know it's hard to kill characters you've grown fond of, but then, there's always back history that you can fill in later.
Yeah, killing her was tough. Just from that small fragment I really got to liking her--plus she was in such a crappy situation with her boss! (Let's just say rules on sexual harassment are only enforced if you have a good glinn/gul in charge.) I really wanted to get her into a better place but I just knew she had to die. And that sucked, especially for someone who probably still would've had a lot of life ahead of her.

mirandafave wrote: View Post
A great build up to the battle and the opening gambit has hit its first stumble. Will it cause the effort to falter completely? Who else will die? Agh! nail biting. Excellent insights, again, into the thought processes of the characters even as the action kicks up a gear. You're doing a great job despite your own anxieties. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Thanks...I really appreciate it, and I hope I'll continue to live up to expectations!
Old January 11 2009, 06:27 AM   #176
TimmyWl
Commodore

I didn't get that vibe of unwanted attention from the last bit. However, I did like that nod towards the religious side of the leading Federation man. You've got a big story to tell and the first step is good.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 06:58 AM   #177
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

TimmyWl wrote: View Post
I didn't get that vibe of unwanted attention from the last bit.
Apologies for my confusion--but do you mean you didn't like Gruner's behavior, that it wasn't written convincingly, or you feel that his advances were OK?

Or something else?

However, I did like that nod towards the religious side of the leading Federation man. You've got a big story to tell and the first step is good.
Thanks! I'm very glad you liked that scene...when I was writing that, I felt like that was where I REALLY got my sense of who Spirodopoulos was, at his core. Does he always live up to that? No more than any of us. But what you saw there...it makes him a real minority in the Sigils and Unions version of human society, but that's what will always lay at his core.
Old January 11 2009, 09:53 AM   #178
TimmyWl
Commodore

It wasn't written convincingly for me to actually realize it was unwanted attention. It's written, in my eyes, on the comparision from her POV of two different bosses, one being loyal to the "cause" (i.e. the rebellion), and then the other (in my eyes, not as loyal) catching up on what she is doing. I might have missed the whole harrassment feel to it. It's not about liking it - it's just that I missed it on the second read.

Of course, now after the third read I've caught it in graphic detail. I think I may have been confusing the good person loyal to the cause with the bad one. I do like the shot out to Gul Dukat.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 04:36 PM   #179
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Iymender's not actually her boss even though he outranks both Sorabec and Gruner. (Though awkwardly, especially in Cardassian culture, both are older than he is.) I don't think Iymender's any older than 20 or so, and he works in a different section of the base. But having Sorabec on his side was critical, so he approached her and I guess eventually, she started to notice his good qualities. I don't think she's romantically interested in him, though (too young)--I think it's more that Sorabec found Iymender to be an endearing kid, kind of like a younger brother.

As for Gruner...he's just...ew. Thinks he's all that, but he's really just full of it on a lot of levels. I'll be honest...I'm having a hard time figuring out how you missed the crudeness of his behavior or might have thought Sorabec was anything but repulsed by it. And I would like to know if anybody else reading this found the situation confusing or unconvincing.
Old January 11 2009, 05:57 PM   #180
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Iymender's not actually her boss even though he outranks both Sorabec and Gruner. (Though awkwardly, especially in Cardassian culture, both are older than he is.) I don't think Iymender's any older than 20 or so, and he works in a different section of the base. But having Sorabec on his side was critical, so he approached her and I guess eventually, she started to notice his good qualities. I don't think she's romantically interested in him, though (too young)--I think it's more that Sorabec found Iymender to be an endearing kid, kind of like a younger brother.

As for Gruner...he's just...ew. Thinks he's all that, but he's really just full of it on a lot of levels. I'll be honest...I'm having a hard time figuring out how you missed the crudeness of his behavior or might have thought Sorabec was anything but repulsed by it. And I would like to know if anybody else reading this found the situation confusing or unconvincing.
You know opposites attract? I had a small thought that although Sorebec didn't care for it, it was like..setting up some kind of attraction there down the line...

Rob