Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 21 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Riggs
Cadet

Kira´s conscience

Hi folks,

during a recent rewatch of my favourite ST show, I was a bit disappointed how the writers dealt with Kira´s troubled past over the course of the show. In the earlier seasons, especially 1st season´s "Battle Lines", it seemed clear that she had a lot to answer for, and that her healing process had just begun. She seemed traumatized and partly even tortured by what she had done. And she better be, because it is clearly stated in several episodes that she committed murder. She was an interesting, multilayered character IMO.

However, I missed repercussions. In later seasons, only "The Darkness and the Light" (as far as I can see) dealt with that aspect of her past, and there she defended her actions without any reservation. Now, in that episode, I liked that a lot because that is what she would do opposite to a cardassian who wants to kill her. However, by ignoring her self-doubt and her conscience in the following, the writers took away much of her complexity IMO; she was a terrific character nonetheless, but I have the feeling it could have been much more.

Any thoughts?
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: Kira´s conscience

I never got how holier than thou she was when she discovered her mother's enforced collaboration. That just didn't sit right with her own ambivalence, especially from when the occupation ended.
Old August 21 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

One might think that Kira always suspected; that the Orb dug up the dirt from her mind rather than actually engaging in time travel; and that "holier than thou" is the very driving force behind Kira, the source of her strength to go on resisting the irresistible.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Nah on the face of it she was 'Never give up, never surrender!' But behind that was a lot of dilemma. She never gave up on her friends, so I thought it was out of character for her to cast her mother aside so readily.
Old August 21 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

She did express consistent disgust at collaboration, whether it was from an old enemy, a total stranger, or her lover. That might well be an overriding factor when it comes to family relations.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Damask
Commander

Plus ya know it was friggen Dukat.
Damask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
She did express consistent disgust at collaboration, whether it was from an old enemy, a total stranger, or her lover. That might well be an overriding factor when it comes to family relations.

Timo Saloniemi
We've also seen that Kira's emotions REALLY go into turmoil whenever something happens that relates to her family--"Ties of Blood and Water" is another example of her reacting to a family situation (or what might as well be one) that she emotionally cannot cope with by angrily defining everything in total black-and-white as a way of shutting herself away from that situation. (Actually, that episode provides TWO examples--Kira Taban and Tekeny Ghemor.) I'm not sure if there are other examples pertaining specifically to her family, but at least this episode is not inconsistent with "Ties of Blood and Water."
Old August 24 2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Finn
Vice Admiral

I agree that the Dukat factor had a big role in her reaction and actions in that episode. It would be like Picard finding out his mother had an affair with Q when he was little.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
I agree that the Dukat factor had a big role in her reaction and actions in that episode. It would be like Picard finding out his mother had an affair with Q when he was little.
Or worse--the Borg Queen having an affair with his dad.
Old August 25 2008, 12:55 AM   #10
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Heh. If Deep Space Nine were made today, I doubt they'd devise the second in command, near co-star, to be a terrorist freedom fighter who succeeded in defeating a giant militiristic empire through her terrorism.

Hell, even in the final arc Kira's terrorism saved the day. Go terrorism? Not in today's world.