Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 18 2008, 09:10 PM   #16
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Generation Kill

Well, BoB feels like a clean, Hollywood version of war compared to the depiction in Generation Kill - and that's saying something, given that in the genre of WW2 film/television fiction, BoB was pretty damn good.

I mean, I look at the way men talk to each other in the GK and the way they talk to each other in BoB and BoB feels so clean and sanitized. At the end of the latest episode of GK, they pretty much explain why men will do everything possible to undermine each other, even though they consider them their "brothers". So people are calling each other all kinds of shit that in any other context would be considered racist, sexist and homophobic.
In Band of Brothers, the only time it even becomes an issue is when one of the characters calls another a Jew. But then it's completely dropped.
I'm not saying living in the 40s automatically means you're a KKK member, but really? I'm sure back then people had more colourful language that "fairy".

Just these small touches make it feel like the show is about a group of men working together in a shitty situation. It's the deal same with Gunner Palace, if you've seen that.

Incidentally, it's why de Palma's Redacted feels contrived. I mean, the film itself is meant to be contrived, but the way the characters are written... well, GK feels like a Wright sat there and transcribed every word said by the marines in Iraq and Redacted feels like it was written by a scriptwriter.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 02:10 AM   #17
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Here's the last thread, although I don't mind the new one.

It has what? One, two episodes left? It's been really cool so far. Things have slowed down, since it's clear that their intended mission (well, as intended as it was in light of things getting messed up) is coming to an end. I still thought last episode was pretty good, but there hasn't been a bad episode in the entire miniseries.
Old August 19 2008, 03:08 AM   #18
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Next week is the finale, ending in Baghdad proper.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old August 19 2008, 01:51 PM   #19
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Totally agree that the GK feels more real than BoB. I think the greatest thing about GK is that it makes an effort to show all the sides. It shows soldiers bitching, like really bitching and you can't help but emphasize for them and realize how stupid command is. But when you read the book, it gives you the full picture of the strategy of what they were doing and why Mattias chose Recon to do what he asked them to do.

I think doing a realistic version of BoB just won't work b/c in our minds we have this crisp version, this "Greatest Generation" ever. That understood what they were doing etc. I'm pretty sure soldiers were bitching to about getting into a war for Kings and Old Europe.

Personally I feel that the "Greatest Generation" is the new breed of men and women who are serving their country right now. Being called upon to wage a never ending war. With incomptentant political leaders, powerful companies waging war for money, broken homes and a broken country. Yet they still go out there give it their all and ask nothing for in return.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 08:07 PM   #20
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

I JUST hope they took a lot of 'dramatic license' with it because IF C%C was that incompotent or suicidely 'Gung-Ho' (Godfather sending Humvees against armor etc. because he wants to be sure his batallion is 'in the fight'); I pray our (the U.S.) armed forces don't have that many idiots in charge of deadly battlefield operations.

Bit as far as the way it's been presented; it's very good and I like that they don't talk down to the viewing audience (you don't see they non-sensically explaining every military term they use during an episode, for example).

But either way, it's interesting.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 10:31 PM   #21
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, if you believe Wikipedia, apparently it's required reading for officers in training now; the idea being that the officers need to learn how to work with NCOs better.

Old August 19 2008, 11:24 PM   #22
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
I JUST hope they took a lot of 'dramatic license' with it because IF C%C was that incompotent or suicidely 'Gung-Ho' (Godfather sending Humvees against armor etc. because he wants to be sure his batallion is 'in the fight'); I pray our (the U.S.) armed forces don't have that many idiots in charge of deadly battlefield operations.

Bit as far as the way it's been presented; it's very good and I like that they don't talk down to the viewing audience (you don't see they non-sensically explaining every military term they use during an episode, for example).

It's the truth. Read Generation Kill the book, which the show was based on. Mattias was a new breed of Generations who believed in doing things unconventionally. Hence Force Recon being chosen to do what they did.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 11:40 PM   #23
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, then there's the thing of Rudy Reyes playing himself... so, I'm sure he had a say.

Old August 20 2008, 01:21 AM   #24
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Noname Given wrote: View Post

Evan Wright mentioned that, although, in the book, there's a lot of criticisms of Godfather, if you asked anyone in the battalion afterwards if he was a good commander, they would answer yes.
Old August 21 2008, 02:37 AM   #25
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

I just saw something.... disturbing. Very disturbing.

In the episode before the finale, at the end Brad shoots an Iraqi who is gonna try to kill them. After he fires his weapon, he moves his selector switch - you would assume to safe. But the thing is, he moves it TO the firing position FROM the safety position.

This is a serious continuity area.
Old August 21 2008, 06:26 AM   #26
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Isn't up the safety position?

But then again - and I just noticed this - when you tag a thread with "guns, killing, war", maybe I shouldn't ask.

Old August 21 2008, 06:28 AM   #27
Orintho
Vice Admiral

I've seen a couple of episodes, but not from the beginning so my comments might not be totally fair.

On the one hand, I like the interaction between the Marines and from what I have read, it is not inaccurate. The cast is pretty good and it is something to see the rather frightening efficiency of what current weapons can do.

On the other hand, I get a slight impression of the people behind the show seem to be slathering on that old 'Nam' aspect to the show. Episode I saw last night even had them singing that 'What are We Fighting For' song from the 60s and they keep throwing the old 'soldier as the baby killer' thing at the audience. I have not read the book, but some things, like the Marine officer inviting his men to openly critique him (in the field no less) felt like a Hollywood contrivance to me.
Old August 21 2008, 06:36 AM   #28
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

That whole Whopper Jr. thing was meant more to develop Walt's character than it was an examination of Twombly. It's probably the only character development that character will get though... and I guess that makes sense. Of everyone in the show, Brad, Ray and Twombly are the most interesting characters.

Old August 21 2008, 03:47 PM   #29
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Isn't up the safety position?

But then again - and I just noticed this - when you tag a thread with "guns, killing, war", maybe I shouldn't ask.
**goes to look at his**

No. Flat pointing out is safe. Up is single shot. Pointing back is either 3 shot burst or full auto, depending on your mode. Unfortunatly, as mine is civilian, I only have the first two positions.
Old August 24 2008, 03:53 PM   #30
apostle83
Admiral

Church was good.

Anyone watching the Generation Kill finale?