RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,619
Posts: 5,426,281
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 400
Newest member: 8 of 9

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
V
Commodore
 
V's Avatar
 
Location: The Shadow Gallery
Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical movie?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47805

Flash Gordon the TV series on Scifi Channel was a huge flop: Scifi Channel seriously thought it would be their next big tent-pole series, but it never found an audience and was really just terrible; ***I seriously think that Scifi attributes the success of Battlestar Galactica to the fact that it is a remake of an old series, rather than due to the great writing of Ron Moore & Co (and the quality actors). Instead, Scifi caught the "lets remake things!" bug, and seriously thinks that there are "vast fan-bases" for old series (even if you like BSG original series, you've got to admit that original series viewers only make up a small fraction of people that watch the re-imagined series)

Anyway, Flash Gordon flopped, so now Columbia Pictures has decided to make a new Flash Gordon remake movie?!

(of no relation to Scifi Channel's failed project) (and why is he described as a polo player?)
__________________
"Its about the characters, stupid" - Ron D Moore
"What baloney. BSG was about the writers wanting to achieve a pre-determined end point, and they jerked the characters around so that they would achieve that goal." - Temis the Vorta
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:22 PM   #2
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Hmm... maybe a film will do better. Maybe being the key word.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Well, the series wasn't terrible because it was Flash Gordon. It was terrible because of the poor writing, the low production values, the bad acting, etc. Of course, usually studios aren't smart enough to realize something like this (the remake of Battlestar Galactica leading to remakes of Bionic Woman, Flash Gordon, etc. that entirely miss the point being an example of their poor reasoning). We'll see...
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

I'm not sure how much Sci-Fi really considered this a big tent-pole series though that isn't the first time I've read that but I'm skeptical.

I enjoyed the show for what it was but as you said it wasn't very successful and I think its profile and recognition level is low enough that it shouldn't have any impact positive or negative on a film.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Well, the series wasn't terrible because it was Flash Gordon.
One of it's biggest problems was that it wasn't even Flash Gordon. It was just called that. The producers needed to embrace the established story line not abandon it.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Davros wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Well, the series wasn't terrible because it was Flash Gordon.
One of it's biggest problems was that it wasn't even Flash Gordon. It was just called that. The producers needed to embrace the established story line not abandon it.
Flash Gordon along with plucky Dale Arden and scientist Hans Zarkov unites the cantons of the Planet Mongo to overthrow the ruthless emperor Ming the Merciless with the help of the Princess Aura.

I think the story line was OK but people have problems with the execution.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Kegek
Rear Admiral
 
Kegek's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere You're Not
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

V wrote: View Post
(of no relation to Scifi Channel's failed project) [emphasis mine]
If the film isn't connected to the series at all but is, in fact, just another effort to bring one of the most iconic sci-fi pulp characters into the 21st century... then I don't see a problem.

It's not like Serenity, where a film is directly based on a cancelled TV series. Just because the Sci-Fi Channel series was a failure doesn't mean a successful Flash Gordon project can't be done - no more than the success of Galactica proves, as you say, that remakes are a sure thing.

I don't know the past record of the people involved in this project, but I do hope we get a good movie out of these developments.
__________________
"Tell me this, do they have auditions for television?"
"That's all television is, my dear - nothing but auditions."

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Cartoonist
Captain
 
Cartoonist's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

V wrote: View Post
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47805

Flash Gordon the TV series on Scifi Channel was a huge flop: Scifi Channel seriously thought it would be their next big tent-pole series, but it never found an audience and was really just terrible; ***I seriously think that Scifi attributes the success of Battlestar Galactica to the fact that it is a remake of an old series, rather than due to the great writing of Ron Moore & Co (and the quality actors). Instead, Scifi caught the "lets remake things!" bug, and seriously thinks that there are "vast fan-bases" for old series (even if you like BSG original series, you've got to admit that original series viewers only make up a small fraction of people that watch the re-imagined series)

Anyway, Flash Gordon flopped, so now Columbia Pictures has decided to make a new Flash Gordon remake movie?!

(of no relation to Scifi Channel's failed project) (and why is he described as a polo player?)
I think there are "vast fan-bases" for old series. That's why the first episode performed so well. That's why I sat through two entire episodes before admitting to myself I just couldn't take it (and I'm not even a FG fan - the name recognition alone was enough to catch my attention).

There are millions of us who grew up on '80s movies & TV, and would at least tune in to the pilot of any remake, if only for nostalgia. That's a good base to build on in an age where 3 million viewers for a cable show means it's a hit. If it had actually been good, they probably would have had a big hit on their hands.
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Meredith
Vice Admiral
 
Meredith's Avatar
 
Location: Abh Space
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

The new movie better have Queen do their soundtrack.
__________________
Laws only work if everyone is honest, no piece of paper is going to stop a truly deranged person from doing something atrocious.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Well, the series wasn't terrible because it was Flash Gordon.
One of it's biggest problems was that it wasn't even Flash Gordon. It was just called that. The producers needed to embrace the established story line not abandon it.
Flash Gordon along with plucky Dale Arden and scientist Hans Zarkov unites the cantons of the Planet Mongo to overthrow the ruthless emperor Ming the Merciless with the help of the Princess Aura.

I think the story line was OK but people have problems with the execution.
But they made Ming into little more than a pathetic bureaucrat and Ming did not seem even the slightest bit exotic. They should have taken their clues from the 1980 film and not tried to rework so much of it.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

V wrote: View Post

Anyway, Flash Gordon flopped, so now Columbia Pictures has decided to make a new Flash Gordon remake movie?!

The one has nothing to do with the other. Film rights and TV rights are separate. There's no reason there couldn't be a movie and a TV series at the same time. Indeed, that's already happened, with Filmation's 1979-80 Flash Gordon animated series and DeLaurentiis's 1980 flop of a movie.

(and why is he described as a polo player?)
That's what he was in the original comic strips, of course.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:52 PM   #12
Morpheus 02
Commodore
 
Location: Chicago IL
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Davros wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
One of it's biggest problems was that it wasn't even Flash Gordon. It was just called that. The producers needed to embrace the established story line not abandon it.
Flash Gordon along with plucky Dale Arden and scientist Hans Zarkov unites the cantons of the Planet Mongo to overthrow the ruthless emperor Ming the Merciless with the help of the Princess Aura.

I think the story line was OK but people have problems with the execution.
But they made Ming into little more than a pathetic bureaucrat and Ming did not seem even the slightest bit exotic. They should have taken their clues from the 1980 film and not tried to rework so much of it.
The 2nd half of the series actually was pretty decent, and I was hoping based on that, we might get a continuation. The producers had seemed to learn their lesson from the 1st half, but unfortunately, it was too late.

Ming's assistant would've made for an interesting Ming...my idea is that Ming was a title, and that the "original" Ming could be knocked off and replaced.
__________________
Morpheus 02
a.k.a.
JP Paulus jp [at] paulus . com
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:58 PM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

A zero issue for a Flasgh Gordon Comic book was released limitedly at a convention 6 months back which seemed decent. I haven't seen if the Title has started up yet. Somethign to investigate I think.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 07:01 PM   #14
V
Commodore
 
V's Avatar
 
Location: The Shadow Gallery
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

Kegek wrote: View Post
V wrote: View Post
(of no relation to Scifi Channel's failed project) [emphasis mine]
If the film isn't connected to the series at all but is, in fact, just another effort to bring one of the most iconic sci-fi pulp characters into the 21st century... then I don't see a problem.

It's not like Serenity, where a film is directly based on a cancelled TV series. Just because the Sci-Fi Channel series was a failure doesn't mean a successful Flash Gordon project can't be done - no more than the success of Galactica proves, as you say, that remakes are a sure thing.

I don't know the past record of the people involved in this project, but I do hope we get a good movie out of these developments.
I suppose that it would have been wrong to suspect "Batman Begins' of being awful, in the wake of "Batman and Robin"....but still....why would you think people are "hungry for more Flash?" barely a year after a Flash TV series failed?
__________________
"Its about the characters, stupid" - Ron D Moore
"What baloney. BSG was about the writers wanting to achieve a pre-determined end point, and they jerked the characters around so that they would achieve that goal." - Temis the Vorta
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 07:17 PM   #15
Kegek
Rear Admiral
 
Kegek's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere You're Not
Re: Flash Gordon TV series flopped...so they're making a theatrical mo

V wrote: View Post
I suppose that it would have been wrong to suspect "Batman Begins' of being awful, in the wake of "Batman and Robin"....but still....why would you think people are "hungry for more Flash?" barely a year after a Flash TV series failed?
For the same reason other people enumerated here. For the same reason people looked forward to Casino Royale after Die Another Day, or Batman Begins after Batman and Robin, or even presently with Star Trek XI after Star Trek: Nemesis.

We don't just want Flash Gordon. We want good Flash Gordon. Give me a rip-roaring adventure of sci-fi pulp and I'll be content. Cartoonist had a point: There's an audience for this, but they won't just watch anything with the label slapped on.
__________________
"Tell me this, do they have auditions for television?"
"That's all television is, my dear - nothing but auditions."

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flash gordon

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.