Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 21 2008, 07:08 PM   #1
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Do you only buy the books of the series you enjoyed?

does what it says on the tin.

Well do ya?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you only buy the books of the series you enjoyed?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Well do ya?
Mostly, yes. With exceptions for something that might tie into the part of the ST universe I'm interested in, or is written by someone whose writing I like. Forexample: if Diane Duane writes a Voyager novel, I'll buy it. Otherwise, probably not.
Old August 21 2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Steve Roby
Commodore

Well do ya?
Well, no, but I'm willing to consider the possibility that I'm an extreme case. I buy 'em all, pretty much. All Star Trek books, fiction and nonfiction, authorized and unauthorized, as long as they aren't just reprints or collections of previously published material with nothing new added.

Looking at fiction in particular, although I wasn't a fan of Voyager or Enterprise, that's due to the TV writers. Many of the novelists have done good and interesting things with those series.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Well do ya?
Pretty much, yeah, I have gone beyond my comfort zone a few times with mixed results and just so you all know, the order of which Trek Series I like is: Deep Space Nine; The Next Generation; Enterprise; The Original Series and then Voyager and the Undiscovered Country is my favorite film.

Anyway, as I've just said, my enjoyment was mixed and here's some that I can remember off the top of my head.

The Crucible Trilogy - I really enjoyed Provence of Shadows; The Fire and the Rose ok, just a bit, blarr! And The Star to Every wandering I didn't enjoy and found it a bit disjointed.

The Voyager Dark Matter Trilogy - I will admit I read this a fair few years ago when it was first out, but I really did not like it and it's one of only a few novels which I could not find the strength to finish.

Last Full Measures - again I found this just blarr and it's pretty much put me off reading other Enterprise books. But call me strange, I really liked the Shundered and Forged in Fire so it's nothing to do with M&Ms writing.

And, even though I'm a fan of the Next Generation, I really liked the A Time books, but three and four (Harvest and Sow????) I took possible the longest time ever to read as I just found them dull and uninteresting and because of this, I havn't got beyond Harbinger in the Vanguard series.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

No.

Books from series I not enjoyed that much aren't as high on my priority list, but sooner or later I get most of the books anyway.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Reanok
Commodore

Yes I buy books from the relaunch Ds9 & Enterprise because I like both series. Also books I likeThe original series, Titan and books like Myriad Universe.I'll buy books because I like a certain author and wil buy the books from different series.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:01 PM   #7
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

I only buy books with space battles and crews that are white and male.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:03 PM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post

I'm afraid to tell you "Klansmen in Space" wasn't very successful and vol.4 "Stuff blows up" is the last one.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
ClayinCA
Commodore

Yeah, just the series I like, although that's still three out of five (I don't like Voyager or Enterprise), so it's not like that saves me much money. And even that restriction may soon go out the window, as I'm curious about Kirsten Beyer's Voyager book, and Mangels & Martin will probably get me to try their Enterprise books eventually, based on the strength of their previous work.

I also get the Titan, New Frontier, and Vanguard books, though these come out so infrequently it's not much of a blip on the buying radar. I haven't bought the Mirror/Myriad books thus far, but that's more due to financial considerations than anything else.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I do actually - TNG, DS9, VOY and Titan. I've never been very interested in the original series and I don't like Enterprise at all. I do have some TOS from crossovers (ie Gateways and Invasion!) but I doubt I'll ever buy a normal book about Kirk and Co (I am preparing to scope out Vanguard at last though).
Old August 21 2008, 08:16 PM   #11
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I'm afraid to tell you "Klansmen in Space" wasn't very successful and vol.4 "Stuff blows up" is the last one.
You mean the two parter vol.5 "The Ship Rocked Again" and vol.6 "Sparks Flying From the Consoles" have been cancelled!? Aww man!
Old August 21 2008, 08:23 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

no.

my favourite series are DS9, TOS, ENT, TNG and VGR in that order.

what books i buy are NF, GKN/KE, SCE, VGD, TTN and the TNGR with a few DS9R.

on next year's schedule, i'm buying

A Singular Destiny (cuz it's KRAD and a Destiny tie-in)
the 2 TTNs
TNGR 'Losing the Peace' (cuz it's a Destiny tie-in)
the 2 VGDs
DS9R 'The Soul Key' (cuz it's the next MU bit and follows FS)
and then Mere Anarchy (cuz it intrigues me), the MU antho, the MyrU book (cuz I've got the 2 MU trades and got/getting the 2 MyrU books), the 7 deadly sins antho (it intrigues me) and the SCE trade.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:25 PM   #13
LightningStorm
The Borg King

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Mostly, yes. With exceptions for something that might tie into the part of the ST universe I'm interested in, or is written by someone whose writing I like. Forexample: if Diane Duane writes a Voyager novel, I'll buy it. Otherwise, probably not.
Pretty much the same with me. I only buy the series I like, which happen to be most of the series out there (ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY, VAN, and Titan, uh, and Mirror and Myraid Universes). Exceptions occur when there are somewhat large tie-ins that need to be read as well as those that don't have a specific series tied to them (ala Articles of the Federation and Engines of Destiny). And of course anthologies muck up my ability to stay inside my own little Trek comfort zone. But that is a good thing for even those have turned out to be fairly good reads on occassion.

Similarly I'll buy anything written by David Mack regardless of what series it is -- with one exception -- that being New Frontier. (And yes, Mr. Mack, I will be getting The Calling in July ).

Hmmm... thinking about it, I have been known to venture out into unfamiliar territory due to various reviews I've read online or after learning of occurrences within that I may like. For example, while I haven't yet, I may someday pickup Ex Machina due to the things I've heard about it. Also only reason I picked up Articles of the Federation at the time was due to its relationship to the A Time To... Series, as well Engines of Destiny I only picked up at the time due to learning about it involving the Borg in a rather large way.
Old August 21 2008, 08:39 PM   #14
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I should have said up top, but after being a bit skeptical about Titan, I really do enjoy the series and have all four on my shelf, but I've never read any of New Frontier even though I do enjoy PADs other work.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I pretty much buy them all. But then again, I enjoyed all of the TV series to some extent (if not equally).