Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 9 2008, 12:33 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Sins of the Father

Plot Summary: As part of the same exchange program that sent Riker aboard the Pagh, a Klingon commander named Kurn comes aboard the Enterprise to serve as first officer, where he quickly earns a reputation as a tough disciplinarian. Privately, however, he reveals to Worf an entirely different motive for being on the ship: he wishes to inform Worf that he is Kurn's older brother, and to ask that Worf help defend their father, Mogh, against accusations that Mogh aided the Romulans in the attack on the Khitomer Outpost that killed their parents. Worf requests and receives Picard's permission to appear before the Klingon High Council to challenge the accusations, brought by a council member named Duras. K'mpec, the head of the council, asks Worf to end his challenge for the good of Klingon society. Meanwhile, Kurn, who has hidden his secret identity as a son of Mogh, is attacked and nearly killed by assassins hired by Duras. With Kurn in sickbay, Worf asks Picard to stand with him at the challenge, and Picard agrees, asking his crew to investigate the Khotomer massacre. Crusher and Riker discover that another survivor, Kahlest, is still alive, and Picard brings her to the council to testify. K'mpec calls them into private chambers, where Picard and Worf discover that the real traitor at Khitomer was Duras' father, but they are told by K'mpec that an attack on the Duras family could trigger a civil war. K'mpec did not know that Worf had a brother, nor did he expect a Starfleet officer to demand a Klingon challenge. To protect Kurn from execution as the son of a traitor, Worf agrees to accept discommendation and dismissal from Klingon society, but K'mpec, Duras, Kurn and Picard all know the truth, and Picard advises Worf that there will be another time to clear his father's name.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old August 9 2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Kail
Commodore

Re: Sins of the Father

The first truely great Klingon episode.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Old August 9 2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I agree, TNG at its best
Old August 9 2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

A lot of fans have disliked how the Klingons developed on TNG, and there is some validity to those complaints. But I feel TNG handled the modern Klingons a lot better than some of the later series, and there were fewer characters who were pigeonholed into only being warriors.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Old August 9 2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^^ I think the Klingons, like the Borg, became over-used in the TNG era that by the time we were in the later seasons of DS9 and, to an extent, Voyager, fans may have been getting tired of them.

These early episodes were great because they were still creating the Klingon culture. By the time we got to season 7 of DS9, the writing might still match up, but so much had been mapped out and re-treaded with the Klingons, that they were not nearly as interesting as a race as they had once been.
Old August 9 2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

The chaDitch will be silent!

I love that line.
Old August 10 2008, 02:34 AM   #7
Tharsis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmm, the review says Worf was sent away by his family to be with humans. I thought he was found by humans, alone, after the desctruction of the outpost by the Romulans. In other words, Worf's family probably thought he was dead. Am I remembering his storyline correctly?
Old August 10 2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Tharsis wrote: View Post
Hmm, the review says Worf was sent away by his family to be with humans. I thought he was found by humans, alone, after the desctruction of the outpost by the Romulans. In other words, Worf's family probably thought he was dead. Am I remembering his storyline correctly?
Yeah, Worf was found by Starfleet and was subsequently adopted by humans. Still, I would imagine that Starfleet would have tried to find Worf's family to return him to. It's just one of those things you have to go with.
Old August 15 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Goliath
Vice Admiral

I think her review misses an important point about Worf's character.

Worf isn't just Klingon to the core: he's more Klingon than Klingon; he takes Klingon tradition and Klingon honour more seriously than most Klingons who live in the Empire.

As the old saying goes: he's more Catholic than the Pope. Having grown up among humans, he takes Klingon values and traditions at face value, and strives to live up to an idealized image of Klingon-ness. And when he spends some time with other Klingons, he's often disappointed at the way they don't live up to his ideals.

I always thought this was one of the most realistic bits of characterization in all of Trek. In a sense, Worf is a convert to Klingon culture, and displays all the zeal for which converts are noted--as opposed to the slacker, more easy-going ways of people who have been raised that way.