Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 16 2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Michael Phelps - Is he human or metahuman?

I think he's a genetically engineered dolphin.

I fell asleep around midnight and couldn't stay up to watch the women's gymnastic team finals last night. Thanks a lot, NBC.
Tape the late-night rebroadcast (1:30am-5am or so) and then watch it the next day. That way you can zap the boring shit (who watches all that volleyball!!!)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 10:22 PM   #17
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I've been watching the Beijing Summer Olympic coverage on NBC. This is about the only sporting event I've ever cared to watch on television, and gymnastics and swimming are my two favorite sports.

Michael Phelps is a truly amazing guy. Five. Gold. Olympic Medals. So far. In five swimming competitions. That's not counting the gold medals he had already won in the Athens Olympics of 2004.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...+Phelps/221565

You know something? I have more respect for these Olympic swimmers and athletes than I do for these overpaid "pro" athletes (football, baseball, basketball) we have in the U.S., some of whom can't even form a coherent sentence when they're interviewed by the media. Apparently, we don't have a Batman in real life, but Phelps is the closest thing we have and is the epitome of athletic prowess.
Huh? He's just a fast swimmer, nothing more. LOL, talk about getting carried away with the hype.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 03:38 AM   #18
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
TheArsenal wrote: View Post
flamingliberal wrote: View Post
He's just a ridiculously hard trainer who happened to be born with the right body, including a literally freakish aerobic capacity. The latter is why he can recover as quickly as he can and why he can excel in an unprecedented program.
His build is freakish. But freakish in the way Frankenstein would have been if designed by swim coaches. He's double jointed which gives him that crazy power in his turns, has the wing span of a plane, and flippers with unprecedented amount of flexibility instead of feet.

Almost literally built for the sport.
And the gills. Don't forget the gills.
I think it was last night when Bob Costas was doing an analysis of M. Phelps' body build--how his long feet act like flippers, how his long body and average-length legs work to his advantage, hands work like paddles. He's the perfect swimming human-machine.
Old August 17 2008, 04:03 AM   #19
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

Ack! He's about to go for his 8th gold medal! I'm so nervous watching them on the starting blocks!
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 04:14 AM   #20
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

Phelps is very gracious towards teammates right now (deservedly so). Great race by the Americans.

You can tell the USA team felt the pressure to not fuck it up for Phelps. They gotta feel great the pressure is over and they won.

There goes NBC's ratings as well.

-nobody
Old August 17 2008, 04:17 AM   #21
scottydog
Admiral

Woohoo! Awesome final race, awesome performance by this guy. Eight for eight! Now the question is: How many billions of dollars in additional endorsements will he acquire?
Old August 17 2008, 04:31 AM   #22
Brolan
Commodore

Mark Spitz is still living off of his Olympic achivements 36 years later. It will be the same for Phelps.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 05:28 AM   #23
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Location: Home of the World Champion San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors!

Michael Phelps needs to start registering for the Superhuman Registration Act, that's how good he is.
Old August 17 2008, 05:36 AM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome

gblews wrote: View Post
Huh? He's just a fast swimmer, nothing more. LOL, talk about getting carried away with the hype.
He's the fastest swimmer in the world. He has spent his life training to be as good as he is. He has already broken multiple records. He eats 12,000 calories a day and is in perfect shape.

No, he's not *just* a fast swimmer.
Old August 17 2008, 05:48 AM   #25
gblews
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
He's the fastest swimmer in the world. He has spent his life training to be as good as he is. He has already broken multiple records. He eats 12,000 calories a day and is in perfect shape.
Yes, and it is for all the reasons you list above that he is the fastest swimmer in the world or maybe even of his generation, but all the over the top gushing about him being the "epitome of athletic prowess" , and 'the greatest athlete of all time' is ridiculous. So what does that make Mark Spitz who only won one less?

Makes him a poor guy whose feats were accomplished before the broadcast, print, and internet hype machines had the far ranging power they do now.
Old August 17 2008, 05:56 AM   #26
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

yeah there pretty easy to spot either that or he's part of the Army's supersoldier experiment and just recently thawed. Give the man back his shield!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 05:57 AM   #27
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Location: Home of the World Champion San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors!

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

yeah there pretty easy to spot either that or he's part of the Army's supersoldier experiment and just recently thawed. Give the man back his shield!
If someone is casting for an Aquaman or Namor the Submariner movie, they need to cast this kid in the lead role.
Old August 17 2008, 07:27 AM   #28
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Yes, and it is for all the reasons you list above that he is the fastest swimmer in the world or maybe even of his generation, but all the over the top gushing about him being the "epitome of athletic prowess" , and 'the greatest athlete of all time' is ridiculous. So what does that make Mark Spitz who only won one less?

Makes him a poor guy whose feats were accomplished before the broadcast, print, and internet hype machines had the far ranging power they do now.
Do I sense jealousy here? It's not every day you hear of a person who has won 8 Olympic gold medals in 8 swimming competitions, breaking several world or Olympic records, totaling 14 Olympic gold medals and 2 bronze in his career. Hello??? Is any of this sinking in? I'll say that's one HELL of an accomplishment, which is actually more than I can say for these other popular American basketball, football, or baseball athletes (*cough* Barry Bonds *cough). The guy consumes approximately 12,000 calories a day, most of which I imagine he burns, and undergoes rigorous physical training and has got to be mentally disciplined and focused. If that's not athletic prowess, I don't know what is ... er, basket-weaving???
Old August 17 2008, 08:46 AM   #29
gblews
Rear Admiral

Drone36929 wrote: View Post

Do I sense jealousy here?
No, but I sense you missed the point (I'm glad you laughed after writing that). He is a great swimmer who has accomplished something great and yes, he probably is the epitome of athletic prowess -- for a swimmer.

But the "epitome of athletic prowess" (in general), as you called him, the greatest athlete of all time as others have, uh, he is a great swimmer.
Old August 17 2008, 12:59 PM   #30
scottydog
Admiral

Well, at the very least he is the epitome of swimming prowess. It would be interesting to know if he is super-talented in other athletic areas. For example, does he have the good hand-eye coordination necessary to hit a baseball or play hoops? We'll never know, of course, but we can always celebrate his indisputably superior swimming skills.