Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 15 2008, 12:45 AM   #31
Anduril
Captain

Re: Sombrero

I chose to just use "Find" to find the instances of sombrero, and sorry I still don't get it.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 12:47 AM   #32
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Uss Stardis wrote: View Post
Rothschild wrote: View Post
Could someone clue me in on the sombrero thing? I totally missed it.
Read this thread, in it's entirety.
Or as much of it as you can safely absorb. Not everyone can handle that much fun!
Old August 15 2008, 01:23 AM   #33
The Keeper
Commodore

Rothschild wrote: View Post
I chose to just use "Find" to find the instances of sombrero, and sorry I still don't get it.
It started as, from my POV, as lighthearted pokes at nitpicking details about what should or should not be in the new film. Many people were listing silly things that should be included in it. Ideals began becoming Photoshopped reality's, (all in fun) The Shats head on vectoring nacelles & spitting pez etc... when suddenly Samuel T. Cogley suggested, well here, this is the exact post.

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
And is there any way we can make the saucer section look more like a sombrero? Or maybe put a sombrero on top of the saucer section?
That really struck a nerve firmly attached to our funny bones and it took off from there.

Ah, memories...
Old August 15 2008, 01:51 AM   #34
Anduril
Captain

Ah. Well ok then.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 01:58 AM   #35
Kpnuts
Commodore

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
What if we see a sombrero in the film? Will you walk out of the movie or watch it all the way through?
Oh for fuck sake, give it a rest!!! It's sad, pathetic and extremely geeky to STILL be going on about f-ing sombreros!

IT'S NOT FUNNY, STOP WITH THE F-ING SOMBREROS!!!!!

Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 02:16 AM   #36
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
What if we see a sombrero in the film? Will you walk out of the movie or watch it all the way through?
Oh for fuck sake, give it a rest!!! It's sad, pathetic and extremely geeky to STILL be going on about f-ing sombreros!

Dude.. Chill out..

Have a drink..

number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 02:18 AM   #37
Akiraprise

Well, that gets you a warning for flaming. Was what darkshadow0001 wrote really that offensive?

I can't stress this enough: If you don't like a thread topic stay out of it. Ignore it. Is the sombrero stuff really so terrible that it merits something like the above? I mean really. At its worst it might be a little annoying, but I don't think it merits that kind of hate.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 02:20 AM   #38
ancient
Vice Admiral

We are all very pleased.

What are you saying? That you are not easily amused by seeing the exact same joke (mexican hat!) 10,000 times on one board?

BE EASILY AMUSED DAMMIT!

I think the guidlines for the forum do say something about not starting a whole bunch of joke threads on exactly the same topic, but you know this crazy TrekBBS! We'll try anything once (or more)!
Old August 15 2008, 02:22 AM   #39
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

^^Exactly. Sombreros are fun. Everything is fun with a sombrero. Look how festive my Tribble looks:

number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 02:25 AM   #40
Kpnuts
Commodore

Akiraprise wrote: View Post

Well, that gets you a warning for flaming. Was what darkshadow0001 wrote really that offensive?

I can't stress this enough: If you don't like a thread topic stay out of it. Ignore it. Is the sombrero stuff really so terrible that it merits something like the above? I mean really. At its worst it might be a little annoying, but I don't think it merits that kind of hate.

You don't think having every other post in the entire Star Trek XI being about ****** sombreros for the past month or two is more than just 'a little annoying'? Not to mention prolonging and forcing something that was never even funny on every member of TrekBBS

Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 02:26 AM   #41
ancient
Vice Admiral

TRIBBLE LOL
Old August 15 2008, 02:34 AM   #42
Akiraprise

You don't think having every other post in the entire Star Trek XI being about ****** sombreros for the past month or two is more than just 'a little annoying'? Not to mention prolonging and forcing something that was never even funny on every member of TrekBBS

Here's the deal, the sombrero fad is dying. It is going away. But every time people start complaining about it, it makes a come back. It's pretty much restricted to this thread, the blue warp nacelle thread, the change our avs back, and the other one comparing it to the Not Dead meme from a couple years ago. That's it. Sure there may be a few one off quips here and there but it's easy to ignore / dodge them and post about whatever it is the topic is supposed to be about. The only way to move on from the fad is to just post normally.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."

Last edited by Akiraprise; August 15 2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Out of the four threads talking about sombreros, two are complaining about talking about sombreros. :lol:
Old August 15 2008, 02:40 AM   #43
ancient
Vice Admiral

Yes, let us return to posting "normally".

So....

......um....

uh....

Green or Gold?
Old August 15 2008, 02:40 AM   #44
Akiraprise

Wrong thread.
Old August 15 2008, 02:45 AM   #45
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Not. Dead. is really 2 years old? Wow.. time flies.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote