RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 494
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 13 2008, 01:06 AM   #1
EmperorKalan
Commander

Hooray! A "scene I want to see" appears!

In The Chimes at Midnight in the second Myriad Universes anthology, Echoes and Refractions:

It involves a certain apparent contradiction in Klingon behavior, and a scene that I imagine would have taken place many, many times, and finally we see it in print.

I'm also glad to see Thelin used. I know in the Crucible trilogy he died back in the TOS era, but the Crucible books have their own continuity, and what happened there doesn't necessarily have to have happened in other TOS- or TOS-movie-era stories (hint)

Anyone else had scenes you'd envisioned and then later had them pop up in a novel or story?
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Hooray! A "scene I want to see" appears!

There was one novel - can't remember which one - which has a scene where parts of "Balance of Terror" are revisited. They get to the briefing room scene where Scotty says 'Their power is simple impulse', and Sulu thinks to himself that this can't mean that the ship itself can only travel at sublight, and that it's perfectly obvious that the BoP still has some form of warpdrive.

And of course there's the novelization of ST II, which states that Chekov really *was* on the ship during "Space Seed" (he was a security guard).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

EmperorKalan wrote: View Post
Anyone else had scenes you'd envisioned and then later had them pop up in a novel or story?
The "B" plot of "Black Fire" (with a human Commander Thorin) was similar on about 14 counts to the "A" story of my first Commander Therin fanfic, published in 1982. The novel came out in January 1983, so there's no way Sonni Cooper saw my story. Weird deja vu reading that one!

Subterranean cave dwellings on Andor - almost exactly as I imagined them in the early 80s - turned up in "Andor: Paradigm", and then icy canonical ones in "The Aenar" (ENT).

The ambiance of "Ex Machina" was exactly what I wanted from a post-TMP novel.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 01:27 PM   #4
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

The first time I pitched to the producers at DS9, one of my stories involved Sisko and Jake, who because of some kind of [tech] accident, could not both exist simultaneously in this time-space continuum -- i.e., if Ben was present, Jake disappeared into some alternate void, and vice-versa. It was rejected for being too close to something they already had in the works.

A couple weeks later, "The Visitor" aired, and it was 100x better than anything I could have come up with.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

My TNG spec script had a very similar premise to "Quality of Life," which aired 10 days after I sent in the script. The plot involved Data discovering and defending a new form of pseudo-cybernetic life, and he even caught on to the idea that it was sentient the same way in my script that he did in the episode -- because of a comment Geordi made as a joke. (Fortunately, I was able to recycle the concept of the life form, in modified and much more interesting fashion, in Greater Than the Sum.)

And one of my first DS9 pitches was "Terok Hel," which was a thriller set on a station of the same design as DS9. The next season, they did "Empok Nor." That made me go "hmm" a bit, but I realized I was probably far from the first person who pitched "Let's do a story set on a duplicate of the station so you can save money on sets."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Geoff
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

Thanks, EmperorKalan. It's often difficult to reconcile the behavior of the TOS Klingons with the more "honorable" TNG variety. But one of the story's themes is to examine what honorable people are often willing to do when they feel their culture/security is under attack, which explains the conundrum rather well.

Blog me, baby!
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

It's often difficult to reconcile the behavior of the TOS Klingons with the more "honorable" TNG variety.
Didn't Dayton Ward explain that in In the Name of Honor?

And one of my first DS9 pitches was "Terok Hel," which was a thriller set on a station of the same design as DS9.
Interesting.... Hey, Chris, ya think you could recycle that idea some day, only set it on Empok?

Or was the story too similar to the episode?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

I still remember when I read Dreadnaught!, Diane Carey's book. She established that the insubordinate jerk from "Galileo 7", Lt. Boma, got busted out of the fleet by Scotty!

Myself, I had envisioned, right after the events of the episode, Boma apologizing to Spock... and resigning his commision, as he has realized that he cannot work with people with opposing philosophies....

Still, when I read Carey's book, I was very satisfied, because justice had been served.

Also, I loved Mike and Andy's making the analogy to NATO, when describing the Coalition of Planets. ("The Good That Men Do")

Old August 14 2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

I could have sworn there was something, but now I can't think of it.

For years I had wanted to see Star Trek do Die Hard and then they did Starship Mine, although it was nowhere near as violent as I would have liked it.

Although I still crack up at the final scene.
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

The violence of "Starship Mine" was what I hated about it. I thought it was gratuitous the way the scriptwriter deliberately engineered the situation to ensure that all the boarders would be killed, and I thought it was contemptible that after taking all those lives, Picard was shown just joking around about his saddle rather than having to deal with the emotional cost of what he'd had to do.

Old August 14 2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Gratuitous, perhaps, but why would Picard incur an 'emotional cost' from it? Given the length of his career, I'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd been obliged to use lethal force to defend himself and his ship.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old August 14 2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Well, at least after the boss girl's ship blew up, Picard didn't go, "Yippie-ki-yay, muddah-"!

Old August 14 2008, 06:05 PM   #13
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Gratuitous, perhaps, but why would Picard incur an 'emotional cost' from it? Given the length of his career, I'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd been obliged to use lethal force to defend himself and his ship.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Maybe it's just because it's been some time since I saw Starship Mine so my memories are a bit fuzzy, but I can understand where Christopher is coming from. Yes, they were thieves, but they also had set it up so that their thieving wouldn't harm anyone, stealing during the sweep that had the ship emptied. And then Picard goes and kills all of them. They weren't cold-blooded killers.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 06:09 PM   #14
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

They cold-bloodedly killed old Calvin Hutchinson down on the surface. IIRC, Kelsey cold-bloodedly killed Neil after his usefulness came to an end. Kelsey was planning on selling the trilithium resin to people who would use it for cold-blooded violence. These people were not to be handled lightly.
Old August 14 2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Even so, you'd have to be a sociopath not to feel some regret at the necessity. Hell, it's even an established part of Picard's character -- recall the final log entry in "Conspiracy" where he expressed regret at the loss of life he had to inflict.

And just in general, I dislike it when writers treat the death of human beings (or in this case, sentient beings) as some casual, unimportant thing. Death is a loss that should be acknowledged, never trivialized.